Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 21,055 times

Advertisements

One of my favourite films. Severe history... Which has not left me indifferent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM

43 posts, read 95,555 times
great movie!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,253,285 times
it is a very good film, but i have two problems with it:

1. it is about 30 minutes too long. the chronological ending should have been the moment at which {Norton and Furlong} take all the Nazi bull**** off their wall. the last half hour of the movie is unnecessary and just drags on.

2. mentioning the title of the Movie in the dialogue. "we will call this class American History...X." that was totally unnecessary, not to mention somewhat unfeesable if not stupid.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,188,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
This film is excellent but left me feeling numb and disturbed. Edward Norton was phenomenal. He really deserved the Best Actor Academy Award nomination. I would love to see him in more films.
The film is excellent and shows that racism is a learned behavior that can also be unlearned.

Edward Norton is in many movies, one of my favorites being 25th Hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenant View Post
what's more disturbing is how tons of minorities are still thousands of times more racist than white people, yet skinheads are the ones that everyone hates while they all get a free pass.
White Power skinheads are a small minority as far as skinheads are concerned, and most non-racists skins do not consider WP skins as real skins, even though in the beginning it was an apolitical movement. I dunno, I was friends with many SHARPS growing up. I know the deal.

American History X was about what Norton's character believed to be right, but was later shown that what he believed was a bunch of BS. I am not sure, I but I think that this movie was loosely based on the slam-poet guy Jason Carney who grew up as a Hammerskin, went to jail and was roomed with a homosexual who was dying of aids. They became friends and through that Carney began to examine who he really was, where his roots in racism came from (his parents) and what he really believed. His life parallels Norton's character pretty close.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 25,346 times
its an amazing film,,i remember the very first time i watched it,,
everytime i watch it i always feel like its honestly one of the best films iv seen.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,991,916 times
Good movie, but not "great." It definately explores a side of racism that isn't talked about too often.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,991,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenant View Post
what's more disturbing is how tons of minorities are still thousands of times more racist than white people, yet skinheads are the ones that everyone hates while they all get a free pass.
Gee it didn't take the sympathizers long before the venting began
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies