Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:36 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the actual filming location of a movie you really liked.

For me it was the 80's movie ''Can't Buy Me Love'' about the nerd in high school who paid 1,000 dollars to the hot cheerleader to become popular etc....

Well the movie was filmed at Tucson High School in Tucson AZ so when i went thru Tucson a couple of years back i went over to Tucson High and was like WOW....i'm looking at where alot of the scenes were filmed. Anyway thats the only filming location i've ever been to see in person and thought it was kinda cool.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Remember that scene in Rain Main where Tom Cruise uses the pay phone "from Tucumcari"??? That ain't Tucumcari. Trust me. Might be somewhere in NM, but it ain't Tucumcari.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I really liked both Only You and The Talented Mr. Ripley, and I really really liked the Amalfi Coast off Italy.
Ditto Local Hero and the Scottish coast--we did get to several of the places you see in the movie.
And there is always Ferris Bueller and the many attractions of Chicago.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:29 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,554 times
Smallville filmed in the green belt 3 blocks from us. It was really cool where they had a car in amongst the trees and then a motorcycle zoomed over the top in some chase scene.

Jeremiah with Malcolm-Jamal Warner filmed across the street from that in the woods a few years ago. He actually walked past us on one of the trails and was very nice! His dressing trailer is labeled 'Theo'! So I guess I love my area most.

Also New Westminister (BC) down by the water is a really cool area. The Stephen King movie IT had a scene filmed there. It is the scene where they drop the pop on the bullies heads and then run down the street. It still all looks the same! They also filmed the stream forest scenes here.

One last babble! The old hospital near us is used in so many films and movies and TV shows I can't count. Every year you can see the film crews there at least 5 times. I can't remember the name of the one movie that is really creepy (horror of course) that was filmed there. If I do I will let ya know.

OOhh!! Sorry, another movie that shows the beauty of BC is Double Jeopardy. The whole movie other than New Orleans scenes were filmed here. Georgeous! I also love the New Orleans parts. I was there a few times when I was a kid so have a special place in my heart for it.

I could go on and on but I know you don't want that!!!

Fun thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Well, lots of filming around my work and house in LA. I worked at several schools where filming took place (Marshall High and Venice High for Greese), Belmont High for some Hockey movie, and then I worked at Walter Reed Middle School where many things were filmed (7th Heaven, Shaggy Dog to name 2).

But I wouldn't say those were my favorite places to be as they all involved work.

I grew up in Kenya so I have been around filming of movies like Out of Africa, Sheena and African Queen (ok, that one was before my time, but the others weren't.)

Dawn

Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,876 times
The Rockys, except for #4, especially in our old neighborhood. My dad knew the Lucky 7 bar owner, it was just a couple of blocks from our house. And that was the pet store on Front St. we went to when we were little in the
'60s-early '70s. Our buddy (then in 7th grade) was quite visible in #2.

Chicago, especially Wacker Drive, possibly my favorite street in the US anyway. "While You Were Sleeping" is in my top 10 favorite movies :>)

Happen to love just about every movie I've ever watched that was filmed/set there; love James Belushi's movies (K9, Takin' Care of Business, Principal...). Even "Sleepless in Seattle" (can recite the lines with them) begins there, Wrigley :>)
CandyMan may be the exception, though LOL. Loved the movies before I ever even thought about moving there, too.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Living in San Francisco, I probably pass by movie locations every day... in fact, I just borrowed a book called Celluloid San Francisco, which has info on every famous movie spot. But to get more specific, scenes from "Dead Poet's Society" and all of "Dead Man on Campus" were taped at my alma mater - University of the Pacific in Stockton (CA). Ironic that they both have DEAD in the title, LOL. Also, "Dangerous Minds" with Michelle Pfeiffer was filmed at the high school I attended for senior year, San Mateo High. Oh, and I don't know if you'd consider this very nice, but I have walked down the famous stairway from "The Exorcist!"

As for locations that I'd LIKE to visit, I think the scenery from "Brokeback Mountain" and "Legends of the Fall" was absolutely stunning... both were taped in Montana, so I guess I should go visit sometime!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:45 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Has anyone been to the actual filming location of a movie you really liked.

For me it was the 80's movie ''Can't Buy Me Love'' about the nerd in high school who paid 1,000 dollars to the hot cheerleader to become popular etc....

Well the movie was filmed at Tucson High School in Tucson AZ so when i went thru Tucson a couple of years back i went over to Tucson High and was like WOW....i'm looking at where alot of the scenes were filmed. Anyway thats the only filming location i've ever been to see in person and thought it was kinda cool.....
I like a lot of westerns, so I've actually been to several sites where these movies were made. One of the most popular places for filming westerns has been the Alabama Hills, outside of Lone Pine, CA. This is a neat place to visit and explore, because there is a lot more there than just those things related to movie making. Other places I've been include "Old Paria" outside of Kanab, Utah, "Old Tucson" in Arizona, and Placerita Canyon, near Santa Clarita, CA, where many movies have been made over the years. I've also been to many other areas where movies have been made, since I've spent most of my life around Southern California. About half a mile from where I live, some of the scenes from "Thelma and Louise" were filmed, along with some other movies from time to time. The mountain that is depicted as "Walton's Mountain" in the opening credits on "The Waltons" is only about five miles from me.

As for which place is my favorite? I'd have to say it's the U.S.!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Enjoy reading everyone's stories on their film locations sites.

Since i'm an 80's high school movie freak here's some other places i'd like to see before time runs out.....

Fast Times at Ridgemont high- Van Nuys high school.... Los Angeles
Pretty in Pink-John Marshall high school .... North Hollywood
Breakfast Club- Maine North high school...Des Plaines Illinois
Just one of the Guys-Coronado high school...Scottsdale Arizona
Three Oclock High- Odgen high school...Odgen Utah
Ferris Buellers Day Off- Glenbrook high school...Northbrook Illinois

Better call my travel agent......LOL...

Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Quite a few movies are filmed in and around Portland, Oregon, There is always a add in the paper that there will be casting calls for extras. They close certain locations of the city, or the bridges, the bridges always seem to be in these movies. For the life of me I cannot remember the names of any of them that have been filmed here, even one with Brad Pitt. I was really surprised to see that Mr Brooks is set here in Portland, but I am not completely sure that was actually filmed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies