Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are wondering about the names/info of two off-beat 50's Sci-Fi movies. Maybe someone out there/here can help.

#1) A group of gangsters are held-up in a mountin cabin. 2 men, 1 alcoholic woman. They have kidnapped an older well to do woman. One man goes outside for a walk. He sees walking in the woods a strange, glowing, woman, dressed in a white one-piece jump-suit. He shoots at her. The bullets bounce off. As the film progresses, one finds that whoever she touches, dies instantly from radiation. A 'scientist' becomes envolved. In the end, he finds and kills the woman/alien with acid. He now is filled with remorse realizing that she came in piece and worries of what the others from her planet will do in response. I think that the name was something like "Dangerous Woman" or "Danger Woman".

#2) A group of scientists construct a time viewing portal. They 'go' into the future, to find that the earth is being attacked from beyond. They want to help. They try, but realize that there was only one option, to go back in time, right before they (the attackers) arrived. But they go to a point in time too close to themselves. The movie ends with the scientists climbing into the portal, but to re-enter the lab, over and over, forever.

Does anyone recall these films?

Last edited by VLK7; 06-08-2010 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,454,287 times
I gotta add FORBIDDEN PLANET; THIS ISLAND EARTH and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL as my favorites; but they were seriously well done.

YouTube - "Forbidden Planet" Trailer

YouTube - "This Island Earth" Trailer

YouTube - Day the Earth Stood Still Trailer

Plus I love the dramatic music and sound effects.....

Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM

161 posts, read 417,021 times
the crack in the world.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM

11 posts, read 27,218 times
Horror/Thriller: I love the black and white classic "The Bad Seed." The movie was released in 1956, and the plot is "an ideal housewife begin to suspect her loving adolescent daughter may be a heartless killer." <cited: imdb.com> It stars Patty McCormack as daughter Rhoda Penmark, and Nancy Kelly as mother Christine Penmark. This film is a must see.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM

627 posts, read 1,291,890 times
How about Quatermass and the Pit, released in the US as Five Million Years To Earth?

That was quite creepy.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,151,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Them (giant mutant ants).
Creature From the Black Lagoon (the monster plus Julie Adams great legs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
One of the best was The Blob with Steve McQueen. I hadn't seen it in years and recently was channel surfing and came across it. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I dropped whatever plans I had and sat down and watched it. Still a fun 50's Sci Fi movie.
These are the three I remember the most. I also remember a movie about this crawling, disembodied hand...what was it called, The Hand? (What a coincidence?)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,646,456 times
Default The Day the Earth Stood Still is in a class by itself

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) is my all time favorite sci-fi and one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I would pick The Thing (also 1951) as my second favorite, but nothing else can really compete with Michael Rennie's Klaatu, Bernard Herrmann's score, and the rest of the talent that put that masterpiece together.

It was so good that any remake was a very wobbly idea at best, but that 2008 disgrace was one of the most shameful in movie history.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 AM

24 posts, read 58,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
I am a huge fan of these movies!

Some of my favorites I can't even recalled the titles. We would get some snacks - crackers w/PB&J, cookies, chocolate milk or floats, ice cream, whatever.

We would bring the blankets to get cozy and watch Supernatural Theater, the Outer Limits(original), Chiller Theater... anyone remember those days?

The Attack of the Crab Monsters
The Crawling Eye
The Manster
The Cyclops
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman

What were your faves?
Hey horror movies are my favorite genre too and i always prefer to Watch Horror Movies more than else. and if you are a big fan of horror movies then i shared a link where you can find some of the greatest horror movies.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,823,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl 1990 View Post
Horror/Thriller: I love the black and white classic "The Bad Seed." The movie was released in 1956, and the plot is "an ideal housewife begin to suspect her loving adolescent daughter may be a heartless killer." <cited: imdb.com> It stars Patty McCormack as daughter Rhoda Penmark, and Nancy Kelly as mother Christine Penmark. This film is a must see.
I liked this movie when I first saw it back in the day but I watched it again around 3 years ago and thought the acting was way too hammy/too over the top. I think that's true of a lot of old movies. "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind. So, I think acting styles have changed and I'm now just so used to seeing (and especially hearing) more subtle acting that the really old stuff grates on me.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,646,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I liked this movie when I first saw it back in the day but I watched it again around 3 years ago and thought the acting was way too hammy/too over the top. I think that's true of a lot of old movies. "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind. So, I think acting styles have changed and I'm now just so used to seeing (and especially hearing) more subtle acting that the really old stuff grates on me.
I know what you mean - I get that feeling as well about some of the old movies that I haven't seen for many years.

"The High and the Mighty" was a favorite of mine as a kid and I hadn't seen it since sometime in the 60s, I think. I ran across and bought the DVD recently and reacted to it quite differently today. Still a good movie, but it brings home the point that acting sure has evolved since then. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible that people really acted somewhat more like that which we see in the films from 60 years ago or so. Not entirely sure since I was 5 when "The High and the Mighty" was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies