Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Advertisements

The new Star Trek movie is an alternate timeline or a parallel universe. Not sure which would be more appropriate someone needs to call Doc Brown and ask. The past was changed which had an impact of future events. Some were greatly changed, others only slightly so.

So any differences you notice between TOS, TNG, et al is a product of being in a different universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Just watched a Bio on cable about Star Trek, starting with the original episodes.

One caught my attention. Spock's mom was telling Spock that he needed to help his father with what I recall was a blood transfusion. Spock must look at least 40 in that episode, by human standards.

In the recent movie that played in theaters, didn't Spock's mother die on the planet? And he's very young and youthful.

So would this be a missed detail? Intentional change of story?

Or are we to expect something like a following movie where his mother is somehow recovered?

A different timeline was created when the mad Romulan went back in time and destroyed Kirk' s dad. The destruction of the planet Vulcan changed everything.

As it stands now,

1. Nothing in the TV series exists as history.

or

2. The TV series still is history but in another timeline.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:

In the recent movie that played in theaters, didn't Spock's mother die on the planet? And he's very young and youthful.

Or are we to expect something like a following movie where his mother is somehow recovered?
As others have said, this is a new timeline. By going this route, it frees them up creatively to not be completely bound to the existing canon.

Quote:

I was surprised to see them work in Pike's history in the latest movie. I recall the episode where he was in a wheelchair, and chose to remain on a planet where he could continue in a state of restoration.
And you'll notice that he still wound up in a wheelchair. Seems like that was his destiny no mater what timeline, it was just a matter of how he'd wind up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I don't think Spock and Uhura ever had a thing in the original.
There were certain episodes in the original series where Uhura was clearly flirting with Spock. Of course, Spock being the emotionless being that he was, brushed it off. But I'm pretty sure that J.J Abrams took that and ran with it for the new movies. In this new timeline, we'll see a more emotional Spock, and one who by the looks of it isn't afraid to get emotionally attached. The death of his mother has created a Spock not completely like the original Spock.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
And you'll notice that he still wound up in a wheelchair. Seems like that was his destiny no mater what timeline, it was just a matter of how he'd wind up that way.
A much better wheelchair, too. At least he doesn't have one beep for yes and two for no anymore. You'd think they would have something more advanced than that rig was.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
To my mind, they have STILL never satiisfactorily explained the metamorphosis of the Klingons as we knew them from their original very Vulcanlike appearance to that of Worf et al.
I seem to remember this being an issue with an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise in its final season. But I only watched that show haphazardly, so I may be wrong.

In the original series, the Klingons were obviously stand-ins for the Soviets. Next Gen made them sort of Mongol Samurai.

Quote:
It was a lot more fun to be a nitpicker before all these "new time line" etc etc emerged lol - prequels, sequels, yada yada
Heh.

One of the things I really liked about the movie was that it did hit the "reset" button. The filmmakers can now do anything they want. Blank slate! I hope they take advantage of it. I really don't want to see a redone search for Spock or quest for whale. They went out of their way to hit the reset button. They had better take advantage of it.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap, but I could never really get into Enterprise.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap, but I could never really get into Enterprise.
I thought it started out promising, then became boring. But in the last season, it was actually getting really good. Then it got cancelled. Ah, well....

Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,546 times
Quote:
Just watched a Bio on cable about Star Trek, starting with the original episodes.

One caught my attention. Spock's mom was telling Spock that he needed to help his father with what I recall was a blood transfusion. Spock must look at least 40 in that episode, by human standards.

Yep...new Star Trek is re-telling the story.
Not very well,IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies