U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Default music and music video content today: has it gone too far?

I just finished watching the official "California Gurls" by Katy Perry on YouTube that my 13 year old niece was talking about in the car yesterday. She said that she saw the video recently but didn't quite understand the music video. After I watched the video, I was a little disturbed that my niece even saw this video. Now, by no means am I a prude. As a 21 year old young lady, I find the song to be catchy and cute...for people MY AGE to be listening to. Just listening to the lyrics, I don't think my niece needs to hear lyrics about California girls being good f***s on the beach. Yet, the incessant, omnipresent push of messages such as "sex sells" and "sex sex and more sex" in various, subliminal and non-subliminal forms onto children and teens is getting to be very ridiculous.

At the same time, I'm trying to tell my niece that she shouldn't get caught up in unhealthy temptations and focus on those types of things, but to focus on being a young girl and enjoying her youth (to not want to grow up too fast). I told her that she should wait to engage in sexual acts until she is an adult (at least 21) or until she is married (since our family believes in the Christian faith). That way she will have a clear mind about the whole concept of sex when she becomes an adult. It's sad that I even have to have to talk to her about these things, but the truth is is that kids are having sex and experimenting with drugs and whatnot at a younger age these days. Although this is nothing new, it's just more noticeable nowadays with news coverage on the subject and pictures of preteens in their underwear on MySpace, Facebook, etc. It also doesn't help that these kids listen to music that glorifies all of this stuff. That's fine for adults, but is it really okay for children and teens?

Now I'm not saying, "Ban this music!" On the contrary, I am saying: "We need to do a re-evaluation here." Does society really need to shove sex down kids throats? To the parents and other adult figures: you need to REALLY start listening to the lyrics of songs and watching the music videos that these kids hear and see. You need to have an idea of what's going on with these kids. Some parents do have an idea of what's going on, but others may not even have a clue. Just listen and talk to these kids. Let them know that it's okay to be youthful and not try to act so "mature" and want to grow up too quickly. That's all.

As for the music industry, "sex sells" will always be the mantra, unfortunately. But do we have to give in? I don't think so. What's your stance on the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,183,948 times
I don't even let my girls play with those Bratz Dolls.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,325,527 times
I don't know if this thread belongs in the music thread (probably belongs in "Politics and other controversies").

Anyway, original poster, I think one of the biggest reasons for the problems you described is that the mainstream music industry is still one of the most sexist industries around. These days, women are making huge gains on men in so many industries but not in the music industry. There are still very very few women in the upper echelons of management in the music industry.

As far as performers go, it's extremely rare to find any women who've had mainstream success who are respected for the quality of their music and talent rather than just their image. I'm sure a lot of people are going to flame me for this, but the reason for the success of women like Madonna and Lady Gaga is their image and NOT their music. The mainstream music industry needs more women role models with real talent like Kim Gordon, Ann and Nancy Wilson, and Shelia E rather than talentless women coasting by on their image alone (Kate Perry being a good example).

Parents: if you don't like the music your kids are listening to, introduce them to better music so they learn how be a critical listener instead of a mindless consumer of junk.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM

13,313 posts, read 29,350,823 times
Stressed, it's nice that you care so much about your niece. If you remain a part of her life she will probably be fine.

I actually think Lady Gaga and Madonna have some talent, but they are not especially my cup of tea, and Katy Perry's whipped cream-spouting cleavage is funny but I'd probably change the channel if it appeared before me.
Of course, I am probably not the intended demographic.

As to whether music/video content has gone too far, this is when we head into Politics and Controversies territory.
I'll just say that when my kids were teens, I did my best to keep an eye on their general viewing activity as well as an open dialogue about MTV's raunchier videos. And yes, I made sure they were exposed to what, in my opinion, was considered *good* music.

For years and years, pop music has been about selling an image and making a buck. And yes, sex sells. "Sell" is the operative word.
Katy Perry gurl stuff would not be marketed to us if we didn't lap it up.

It is still a man's world in the music industry, but we have so many talented younger female artists currently recording out there, none of whom feel the need for overt sexual display: Feist, Susan Tedeschi,Karen O, Neko Case, Fiona Apple, Alison Mossheart, Orianthi, Alicia Keys, Beth Gibbons, Ailidh Lennon.

So much of the time, the world would be, IMHO, a better place if we just didn't watch so much TV.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It is still a man's world in the music industry, but we have so many talented younger female artists currently recording out there, none of whom feel the need for overt sexual display: Feist, Susan Tedeschi,Karen O, Neko Case, Fiona Apple, Alison Mossheart, Orianthi, Alicia Keys, Beth Gibbons, Ailidh Lennon.
The women you list are all good examples of women who actually offer musical substance, but I seriously doubt that many record executives in the big record labels would have given these women a chance if these women weren't attractive-looking.

I once dated a girl who was trying really hard to break into the music industry, and she fretted a lot about not being as pretty as many of the female rock and pop stars who've achieved mainstream success. I guarantee you that if she were a male, this would not be something she would need to be concerned with.

Sadly, even very talented women performers have to worry about their looks while men don't. When Ann Wilson of Heart gained a lot of weight in the 1980's, several executives in the music industry pressured her to lose weight and did everything they could to "sex up" the image of Ann and Nancy for the MTV era. Just take a look at the ridiculous video for "These Dreams" to see what I mean. Or, if you want to see a more extreme example, read about what happened with the music video for C&C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now." The real female vocalist for the song (a very large black woman) was replaced with a slender, more attractive woman for the music video because the original vocalist was not considered attractive enough for the video.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM

13,313 posts, read 29,350,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
The women you list are all good examples of women who actually offer musical substance, but I seriously doubt that many record executives in the big record labels would have given these women a chance if these women weren't attractive-looking.
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It is still a man's world in the music industry...

So much of the time, the world would be, IMHO, a better place if we just didn't watch so much TV
FWIW--Patti Smith, Peaches and Kimya Dawson are not exactly pin-up girls, and they have had success in the music industry.
There *are* listeners out there who look for more than sex appeal.
Lots of women worry more than men about what they look like, no matter what their career. It's a fact of life.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 PM

229 posts, read 535,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Sadly, even very talented women performers have to worry about their looks while men don't.
For the most part that that is sadly true but that is not to say looks aren't important for male performers though. For example back in the early 1980's one of pop music's biggest stars was Chris Cross. Tunes like "Sailing", and "Ride Like the Wind" were getting a ton of radio airplay and Cross was appearing on TV quite a bit at the time too. Then came MTV and Chris Cross's hit making days came to an end. Why? Chris was at the time very overweight and even had trouble even growing a beard. In other words MTV felt he was "too ugly". Dittos with Robbie Dupre ( "Steal Away and "Hot Rod Hearts" ) and him being skinny and sporting a massive beard. Of course one could say it was all due to "image"...a guy singing romantic tunes who wasn't very attractive to view at.

Besides had those boy bands from ten years ago like N'Sync and the Backsteet Boys consisted of a bunch of overweight guys with acne..I doubt they would had been successful as they were. Likewise with those "modern rock" stars of the era like Nirvana. Would that band had been succesful had Kurt Cobian been a clean cut guy wearing a suit and tie on stage rather than looking like Kurt had been wearing the same clothes for weeks?

With women, yeah its sex appeal..but with males...its more/less the same too though it called something else ... "image".

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM

503 posts, read 357,777 times
i am 16 and I even find those things so horrible. but it's not just music,even the ky touch commercials they have now are pretty sexual. I mean if you are going to be sexual in music,do it discretely, have a hidden message,use a play on words.everything is just so vulgar now. \

stop acting like men aren't exposed to image scrutiny like women. we don't even get spandex in our clothes, for those with a little love handle, we are all supposed to look like Abercrombie and Fitch models,remember? and whats even stupider is men get played on the radio for having "swag" or "style" instead of talent.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
With women, yeah its sex appeal..but with males...its more/less the same too though it called something else ... "image".
You're correct that in some genres of music (ex: boy band pop), a man's looks matter a lot, but in general in the music industry, it matters a lot less for men if they're attractive or not.

Anyway, back to the original topic - it seems to me that the rash of sexually-explicit music videos is a symptom of larger changes in American culture. A good book that talks about these changes is "Female Chauvinist Pigs." Unfortunately, since a lot of these new pop stars have nothing resembling musical talent, they seem to be compensating by putting their image front and center. And, of course, "sex sells" will always be the music industry's mantra, so I don't see things changing any time soon.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM

503 posts, read 357,777 times

YouTube - Adele - Chasing Pavements (Live)

adele is a lil chunky and covers her self up bit,but she can sing
I can't explain this though

YouTube - Ke$ha - TiK ToK
she isn't singing through half the song,and when she does,that damn auto matron voice is fixing her nasally excuse for a voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music