Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I've heard that one before for KISS! LOL! Is that really true?

How about W.A.S.P. - Does it stand for "We are Satans People"?

How about AC/DC - Does it stand for "Anti Christ/Devils Child"?

Always wondered about those, as I've heard several Christian broadcasters over the years say those are what the letters stand for. Is there any validity to that?

AC/DC Malcolm and Angus Young developed the idea for the band's name after their older sister, Margaret Young, saw the initials "AC/DC" on a sewing machine. "AC/DC" is an abbreviation for "alternating current/direct current". The brothers felt that this name symbolised the band's raw energy, power-driven performances, and a love for their music. "AC/DC" is pronounced one letter at a time, though the band is popularly known as "Acca Dacca" in Australia -wiki

W.A.S.P. There has been much speculation over the origin of the band's name, and if it stands for anything, since it is written as an acronym. In an interview in the 1980s, the band claimed it stood for "We Are Sexual Perverts" or "We Are Sexual Prophets".(It is not known whether this was a serious statement.) It is believed by many that they said it for shock value. However, "We Are Sexual Perverts" is inscribed on the runoff vinyl of their debut album. -wiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times
The Glimmer Twins

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
I've heard that one before for KISS! LOL! Is that really true?

How about W.A.S.P. - Does it stand for "We are Satans People"?

How about AC/DC - Does it stand for "Anti Christ/Devils Child"?

Always wondered about those, as I've heard several Christian broadcasters over the years say those are what the letters stand for. Is there any validity to that?
Do you really believe that??

Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Do you really believe that??
No. But I thought I'd throw the question out there, as I've heard those more than once from several different sources. I may be a moron on certain days, but I DO know what the traditional letters "AC/DC" stand for. LOL!

I mean, after all, their Highway to Hell album does show horns spouting from the scalp. Back in the 70's, that posed a great opportunity for Christian/family/watchdog organizations to spread false rumors. As far as the meaning for KISS, someone else brought that one up. That's what got me asking.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
I DO know what the traditional letters "AC/DC" stand for. LOL!
I think they were accused for that in Australia when they first got famous there,if we are thinking about the same thing.
Highway To Hell is about life on the road with a rock band.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Scott Joplin~The King of Ragtime

Der Bingle

Last edited by saucywench; 09-01-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
'Ol Blue Eyes

The Man in Black

The Red Rocker
Nice color coordinated set, saucywench.

I'm the original poster and I'm enjoying learning about some nicknames that I've never heard before.

Seems that almost all of these are for older acts. I wonder why? It would seem that there is more opportunity to quickly spread a nickname now than before. Many hip-hop artists already operate under under a pseudonym so maybe it's moot although there's no reason there can't be a nick of a nick.

I don't think the following have been mentioned yet:

The White/Welsh Witch -- Stevie Nicks
I don't know if this was in general use but a couple of my friends used to call Jimi Hendrix, "God."

Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Diamond Dave

Sasha Fierce

Sweet Baby James

Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 AM

Default John Philip Sousa

The March King

YouTube - Sousa's Band - Stars and Stripes Forever (Intro by John Philip Sousa Himself) (1931 Transcription)

Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
D-Mode for Depeche Mode
Birthday Mass for Birthday Massacre

What about bands with long names that it is just easier to use initials to refer to them?

FFTL (From First To Last)
ETF (Escape The Fate)
FFAF (Funeral For A Friend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music