Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,525 times
Yes! They say that DJs refused to play "I Love You Ringo" because Cher sounded like a boy! We got used to her voice, so it's difficult to realize that she didn't sound very "girly" back then. I know I've been surprised by some singers. In one instance, I thought Danny Williams of the song "White on White" was white, but he's black, which surprised a lot of those who commented at YouTube. But, a lot of people thought Dan Hartman of "I Can Dream About You" was black, mainly because of his song being used in "Streets of Fire", sung by a (fictional) black group (headed by Stoney Jackson). When Sammy Davis Jr. met Ella Mae Morse, he reportedly said, "I thought you were one of us!" She is supposed to have replied, "But I am!", meaning her style and approach to music. Speaking of...

I see your "Blue" and raise you "House of ... Lights". Yes, she DOES say "homie"!

ELLA MAE MORSE ~ HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHTS ~ 1945 - YouTube

How on Earth did she get practically forgotten?! I hadn't even heard of her till I stumbled across her music while wandering around YouTube. Even my mom hadn't heard of her! From 1945, it's sooooo rock 'n' roll! But, that's the boogie woogie touch, which was how music was continuing to change, heading toward rockabilly, too. For us, it generally was all music. I don't think we really pigeonholed it much till they started to do it rather recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
Interesting tidbit is Cher attended the same High School I did when she was a freshman. I just attended 20 some years later.

A further tidbit is this artist is 1 year and 1 year younger than I. And attended the same school in junior high and high school, she's a much better actor though.

Fresno's pride: Audra McDonald with Wheels of a Dream.

Audra McDonald, Brian Stokes Mitchell - Wheels of a Dream - YouTube

And a bonus, for the House of Blue lights. Anyplace I Hang My Hat is Home.

Anyplace I Hang My Hat Is Home- Audra McDonald - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM

I attended the same school as Burl Ives~just a lot later. When he attended, it was a teachers' college; by my time, it was officially a university~EIU. I went to school with Mason Ruffner's sisters, all the way from grade school to high school. He took the name of the town~Mason~and kept his surname. AND, when we moved to this city, I went to school with the younger sister of Randall (Randy) Arney, stage-and-screen actor and stage director, who is with Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago. I never got to meet him, but he was sweet enough to provide me with some publicity pictures to give to friends when he heard I was a film buff. He did get back to town when "The Color of Money" was shown at our theater downtown; he has a small role, but the town went all-out as if he was the star. Awwww....

BTW: I liked Mitchell when he was Frasier Crane's equivalently snooty neighbor on "Frasier". What a good matchup that was! What a handsome, elegant man he is! *swoon*

I see your "Dream" and raise you "Together in Electric .....s".

Human League - Together in Electric Dreams (12" Version) - YouTube

Here's the ending of "Electric Dreams", with Edgar's jubilant takeover of everything=}

Electric Dreams movie final - YouTube

I LOVE this silly little Eighties movie! My favorite part is the cello/computer duel:

Electric Dreams - The Duel - YouTube

EDIT: To me, this is one of the greatest feel-good music moments in film! It's up there with Gene Kelly's "Singin' in the Rain", Chick Venerra dancing on cars in "Thank God It's Friday", the barn-raising in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", Hellboy and Abe singing along to "Can't Smile Without You" in "Hellboy II: The Golden Army", and Matthew Broderick lip-syncing on the float in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"!

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 05-09-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 PM

I will touch those wires. And pick up on your Blue theme from earlier

Electric Blue by Icehouse.

Icehouse - Electric Blue - YouTube

The picture of the old compy is hilarious.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM

^^^ I just recently~only a couple of days~came across this one! I'm not sure how I missed it throughout the years! I listened several times and posted it in one of the "color" threds. I really like it! Every day, I have come across pleasant surprises on YouTube and on the threads here. People have said they don't believe people are listening to others' songs, but I really don't believe that. I listen to many songs every day, and I hear from people who listen to ones I've posted. I do wish I could figure out how to rep AND include a note to the person. Is there some trick to this? I only know how to click on the positive, not how to send along an accompanying remark.

I see your "Electric" and raise you what I actually expected ~ "Avenue".

Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue - YouTube

I vividly recall this hitting MTV! Woweewowwow!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM

Click on the scales on the top right next to the post number of the post you want to rep. A pop-up will open up and you can enter your comment. You have to sign your name if you want them to know it was you that repped them.

I listen to most of em. Unless I can just play the song in my head without watching the video, haha. Unless I want to watch the video again, which I often do, lol.

The Kid of The Ramblin' Man.

I raise with Sixth Avenue Heartache by The Wallflowers.

The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Thank you! I'm going to try that right away! So often, I just give a rep, but I'd like to personalize it with a message, as I love when people do that for me. Sometimes, I quote a post, especially when it won't let me rep it. I wish they'd let us give lots more points because I see so many deserving posts.

I see your "Six" and raise you "teen Reasons".

Connie Stevens - Sixteen Reasons - YouTube

My sister and I were such fans of Connie Stevens! I especially remember her as Cricket in "Hawaiian Eye"; the unfortunate "pg" girl in "Susan Slade" and "Parrish" (both with blond heartthrob Troy Donahue)(It wasn't his fault either time though it was in "A Summer Place" with Sandra Dee); and the girl asking, "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb" with Edd Byrnes of "77 Sunset Strip".

Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Time to light em up.

I raise you with Sixteen Candles by The Crests

Sixteen Candles - YouTube

And as a bonus:

Sixteen Candles - song: If You Were Here by: Thompson Twins - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
Yes! They say that DJs refused to play "I Love You Ringo" because Cher sounded like a boy!
Poor old Ringo. Could be worse for him and Cher though I suppose.

Goodbye John Lennon (Apologies to Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun)
Goodbye to you my trusted friend
It's been a pleasure listening in
With Twist and Shout you broke in
Learned of Imagine and Yellow Submarines
Broke our hearts, with your great lyricalise
Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die
Your songs will live forever, aye
So we will remember you and not despair
Pretty girls are everywhere
And I hear Sean, and do declare
We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed, were lyrics in your mind
Goodbye John, we pray for you
Your tunes still sing true
You taught us of kindness and were strong
To much wine and to much song, how will we get along
Goodbye John, we wonder why
You were taken well before your time
Now that the Spring is in the air
Little children everywhere
When you see them you'll be there
Goodbye Beatles our favorite band
You gave us love and helped us find the sun
Everytime that we were down
Your records would spin around, and get our feet back on the ground
Goodbye John, we wonder why
You were taken well before your time
Now that the Spring is in the air
With flowers in Yoko's hair
We wish you were still here
But the stars we can reach, are your songs in memory
You still live on the beat the band
But the stars we can reach, are your songs in memory
RIP John Lennon & George Harrison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_Fdly3rX8

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Is "Wheels of a Dream" from perhaps a musical version of "Ragtime"? Bits of the song and how they're dressed remind me of one of the main stories in "Ragtime", but I didn't know they'd "musicalized" it. Now, THAT is singing! And, that man should definitely be starring in movies. They'd be a good leading man and leading lady, as they look and sound good together. Doesn't it make you wonder why so many "singers" are doing the wrong things: gulping air, dragging their voices, indulging in vocal gymnastics instead of just singing? Those two are proof there are people out there who are REAL singers! Cool classmate, by the way! And, neat about Cher=}

I see your "Candle" sans "s" and raise you "on the Water" by Helen Reddy.

Candle on the Water - Pete´s dragon - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM

Well, I will stick with Helen, are you ready for this?

I am Woman Hear Me Roar by Helen Reddy.

Helen Reddy - 'I Am Woman' (Live) 1975 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music