U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Status: "Schumer: "Of course, people voted for it."" (set 2 days ago)

44,851 posts, read 35,880,190 times

Advertisements

A poster on one of the threads shared earlier that we shouldn't post YouTube video embeds because the loading of them slows down on tablet or smartphone browsers, and that we, instead, need to provide just the links. Understandably, if you view City-Data on some other source than a computer, then I can see a reason for concern. But to make a drastic decision like tell posters not to post embeds?? Such a suggestion would be easier said than done.

First of all, as long as we have the capability and the ability to embed YouTube videos (and it's not always available even on some PC servers), then we should have the right to post the embeds, provided they are in good taste and meet City-Data's TOS requirements for posting. So long as we keep threads on topic, then there shouldn't be a problem. Also, one person is not the entire forum. One person cannot decide that other posters shouldn't post embeds on one forum because the same standards must apply to all threads and forums, not just one thread. Secondly, you know that a whole lot of people are not going to go for that. And who wants to read a thread where just YouTube links are posted? Who wants to multi-task? Not me, and certainly not many others. Obviously, links to other sources for references offer no choice, but with YouTubes made available for embedding, said site provides better and easier access for posters to share music with others. We get to hear what we're talking about on these threads. And there are a lot of very good threads going right now on this Music forum.

I do share the one poster's pain, and I know that there are others out there in the same boat, but until technology can improve to a point where downloads and uploads become quicker and easier to provide better access with posts on other applications, there's just not a lot any of us can do regarding YouTube posts. They are, in essence, what make our Music forums more unique than a lot of the other forums. To shorten it or curtail our sources would just cheapen the entire experience for all of us. And the things everybody's already used to on this forum will be hard to change.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 661,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
A poster on one of the threads shared earlier that we shouldn't post YouTube video embeds because the loading of them slows down on tablet or smartphone browsers, and that we, instead, need to provide just the links. Understandably, if you view City-Data on some other source than a computer, then I can see a reason for concern. But to make a drastic decision like tell posters not to post embeds?? Such a suggestion would be easier said than done.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Most everybody is already doing the embeddings, myself included. We've been doing this a long time and no one's complained before. I don't see why people can't make simple adjustments to their browsers. There are tricks they can look up.

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

27 posts, read 671 times
What would it take for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young to reunite?

Both Graham Nash and David Crosby recently suggested their mutual disdain for Donald Trump could spark a reunion of the classic supergroup.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

27 posts, read 671 times
I'm sure the redneck/hillbilly white trash states are excluded from this tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or