U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM

1,022 posts, read 11,312,112 times

Advertisements

Songs that haunt me today, pulling on conscience as discussion about political and social impact of choices are debated in class.

God Forbid - Chains Of Humanity

YouTube - GOD FORBID - Chains Of Humanity (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Tool - AEnema

YouTube - Tool - †nema [uncut version - hq - fullscreen]

Sleep - Lord of This World

YouTube - Sleep - Lord of This World

I need some Dio, stoic knowing I got the comfort of new made friends and this thread when the stupidity of the world pound endlessly hopeless.

That country on that hill has turned out to be the biggest garbage heapdump of the worse s*** I 've ever seen...

Dio - As Long As It's Not About Love

YouTube - Dio - As Long As It's Not About Love (2000)

...yet go kill a man in his own land because of what he has done to his people? Look what you've done to yours I want to scream to these blank smug percocet faces! LOOK what you've done in YOURS!

Last edited by KnightShadow; 09-30-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,272,190 times
Thank you BigSwede for taking over the reins.

Here is a song from one of my favourite Swedish bands, dedicated to you

YouTube - MESHUGGAH - Bleed

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post

Since shyangel like Glam, I am learning more from 6 Foot 3 even though I have jealous feelings because I am dumb in this and she likes it. So I want to grow quickly in knowing this metal and look forward to Glam postings. In free time I'll look up the bands you post 6 Foot 3.
It's always nice to hear about someone who enjoys Glam metal whether 80's or all these new 2000's bands who are reviving it

Keeping Glam alive

YouTube - Hurricane - I'm On To You (HQ)

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Hurricane - Over The Edge (made in 1988), Hurricane - Baby Snakes (Instrumental) and Hurricane - Dance Little Sister

6 Foot 3, are Hairbands and Glam the same thing? I've been trying to understand this and found no help searching the Forum.

I was listening to the song above, also Only Heaven and now their song Over the Edge to help me identify their trademark signature sound.

Hurricane - Over The Edge (made in 1988)

YouTube - Hurricane-Over The Edge

I tried finding a good review on this band but very few though I did locate this one.>>>>>>

Hurricane – Over The Edge (1988) www.hardrockhideout.com

Baby Snakes had a comment attached but this was the only video I
could find.

Hurricane - Baby Snakes (Instrumental)

YouTube - Hurricane - Baby Snakes (Instrumental)

but I like their Dance Little Sister more and wish this was a college board so I could ask questions which would reflect that lifestyle and how this music affect it without risk offending gawd knows who.

Hurricane - Dance Little Sister

YouTube - Hurricane - Dance Little Sister

Do you have any e-magazines you like to read that specialize in Glam or favor the bands you like. I'm starting to feel better talking about this band.

The album most of these songs are from is ALBUM: TAKE WHAT YOU WANT and spoken highly of in this Album Review written in 2008.

A VERY good review I think.>>>> RevelationZ Magazine >>>> http://www.revelationz.net/index.asp?ID=2512

Excerpt " Hurricane literally was the baby brother of Quiet Riot.

Hurricane guitarist Robert Sarzo and bassist Tony Cavazo are brothers to Quiet Riot guitarist Carlos Cavazo and bass player Rudy Sarzo."

Last edited by KnightShadow; 09-30-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM

I have always considered glam rock different from hair bands even though big hair is part of glam rock.

I believe glam rock/pop started in Britain in the 1970s and included Gary Glitter, David Bowie, T Rex et al.

YouTube - T - Rex - Get It On

YouTube - Gary Glitter - Rock'n Roll Part 2 1972

Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Down - Bury Me in Smoke, Down - Hail the Leaf and Crowbar - Time Heals Nothing (1995) and Existence Is Punishment

Djuna, I appreciate your quick response and knowledge on this topic. New listeners like me try to take nothing for granted when exploring a new subgenre.

Do you know whether Hair Bands is then a complete separate style of musical sound or can suggest bands that would identify for the new listener a good study of this. I am willing to investigate so your time answering will not be wasted on an insincere student.

I now return to a dark style of music because I always feel better after
playing it and many are like me.

Down - Bury Me in Smoke

YouTube - DOWN - BURY ME IN SMOKE

For my friend Jim, who I can feel smile through wires and hookups. Don't run unless there is a car waiting for you Kindred. This country's crazy laws about Mary is insane. One dude in Tenn got 10 years for a gram... He forgot each state has its own laws.

Down - Hail the Leaf

YouTube - Down - Hail the Leaf

and this next song is for that gay kid who jumped that was a topic "discussed" in class... how do you discuss something like that without thinking about all the other kids who do it and the pain left behind...

See why I take my friendship seriously and don't accept them easily online? Because friends are the family you get to choose and not have forced on you. Maybe I'm going toward the long ponderous posting and need to be quicker, and snarky. Sorry... that ain't me.

Crowbar - Time Heals Nothing (1995)

YouTube - Crowbar ~ Time Heals Nothing

I can't believe Crowbar has gotten back together and had some tours this past Oct in Austin and Houston TX and LA and are newly signed to eOne Music! these guys speak emotional truth that the young want to hear... look at the crowd, are you there or your kids... I am!

Crowbar - Existence Is Punishment

YouTube - Crowbar - Existence Is Punishment

Time to pack up. Peace... and Jim, thanks for giving me the hookup avoiding school firewalls! We should leave our schedule on the remote computer. HA!

Last edited by KnightShadow; 09-30-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Glam rock started out as glitter rock in the 1970s, in England. I remember as a 9 year old going to a friend's house and her older sister had posters everywhere with glitter rock bands. The defining part to me I guess was the outrageous and flamboyant costumes and make up and the androgyny of the men.

There is a crossover between glam rock and hair bands but not all hair bands were considered glam, for example Cinderella, Skid Row, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. Hair bands were more 1980s and their sound was more American in my opinion. I distinctly remember the change back when I was in my late teens.

Anyway others may disagree, these are just my thoughts.

Here's a couple of my favourite hair bands;

YouTube - Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

YouTube - Skid Row - 18 And Life (Live)

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM

22,858 posts, read 64,900,746 times
I have started a discussion about hair and glam in the music chat.
Please, tell me if I am right or wrong.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post
6 Foot 3, are Hairbands and Glam the same thing? I've been trying to understand this and found no help searching the Forum.

I was listening to the song above, also Only Heaven and now their song Over the Edge to help me identify their trademark signature sound.

but I like their Dance Little Sister more and wish this was a college board so I could ask questions which would reflect that lifestyle and how this music affect it without risk offending gawd knows who.

Do you have any e-magazines you like to read that specialize in Glam or favor the bands you like. I'm starting to feel better talking about this band.

The album most of these songs are from is ALBUM: TAKE WHAT YOU WANT and spoken highly of in this Album Review written in 2008.

A VERY good review I think.>>>> RevelationZ Magazine >>>> Album Review - Hurricane - Take what you Want/Over the Edge/Slave to the thrill - RevelationZ Magazine

Excerpt " Hurricane literally was the baby brother of Quiet Riot.

Hurricane guitarist Robert Sarzo and bassist Tony Cavazo are brothers to Quiet Riot guitarist Carlos Cavazo and bass player Rudy Sarzo."
Glam is an umbrella category as that's why i state Glam metal as glam can be many different genres as for example New Wave bands i.e. Culture Club or heck maybe even Michael Jackson's ''Thriller'' album and music videos could be labeled Glam (IMHO) and i'd say that David Bowie is one of the founding fathers of that category although i guess you could say The Monkees were technically the first in the ''New Wave'' category that also was hugely popular during the 80's.

I think Glam metal had it's heyday from around the early 80's when Ozzy, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot and RATT first appeared on the metal scene back then however i agree with some other posters that not all 80's bands were Glam metal i.e. Def Leppard, Aldo Nova, Night Ranger and Damn Yankees comes to mind as i'd call them Top 40 metal.

As for e-magazines ... nope i don't read them however i grew up reading Circus and Metal Edge magazines during the late 70's and thru out the 80's as that's how i learned about many of the up and coming underground bands back then and of course the phenomenon known as MTV gave us all the top 40 Glam metal songs and videos that were non-existent before the summer of 1981 when it first debuted on cable tv.

I guessing here but i'll go out on a limb and state that most of the 80's Hair Bands idolised the founding father of that category going back to 1974 when KISS first appeared with their debut album ''KISS''.

KISS 1974 debut album cover (The first Hair Band album cover ever??)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lbum_cover.jpg

Some wiki info about Glam metal.
Glam metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,213,556 times
The term "Hair band" was created as more of a way of mocking the late 80's Glam bands, with their "big hair" look and sappy power ballads.

Infectious Evile.

YouTube - Evile 'Infected Nation' Music Video

It was very sad to learn about bassist Mike Alexander's death in 2009.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 10-01-2010 at 12:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or