Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Every band has its super fans, doesn't mean Bon Jovi doesn't deserve the nomination.

For example - Deep Purple? I figure they were a one album, one hit wonder. Smoke on the Water.....whatever. Check wiki, they've done more than one album. But who knows that? Some fan that thinks they are the bomb and deserve a nomination. Maybe their music is great, but who knows? Its just a few voices
Exactly. And really when all is said and done a great epic band is just that, a superficial award won't change that. I agree that Bon Jovi is not in the league of The Beatles, or Led Zeppelin...but to me in my small little world Bon Jovi was the music I grew up to just like my parents grew up listening to The Beatles, (although I often listened to Beatles hour in HS on the classic rock station ).

My first rock concert was Bon Jovi and I still enjoy his music now even though my musical taste has evolved over the years. So yeah, not all artists are the same or have had the same impact but like it or not Bon Jovi has been successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times
Quote:
For example - Deep Purple? I figure they were a one album, one hit wonder. Smoke on the Water.....whatever. Check wiki, they've done more than one album. But who knows that? Some fan that thinks they are the bomb and deserve a nomination. Maybe their music is great, but who knows? Its just a few voices
Maybe? A few voices?

Deep Purple is one of the greatest rock bands. The only problem is they didn't make it in America, while many people all over the world love them. Richie Gilmore is a unique guitar player. I like some of his guitar solos even much better than the ones by Jimi Page. Ian Gillan is an excellent singer. He has a very powerful voice (Robert Plant is not even close). Sure Led Zeppelin is a way more inventive and diverse band, but still Deep Purple was a very solid band, which is very famous outside of America. Here's one of their songs I adore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zFlu9Uh1E

Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,553 times
Bon Jovi, sure why not nominate them. They are still putting them out for over 20 years. IMO, there is a lot of ones being left out as well. Deep Purple should be in there as well as many more. The real joke is Rap and Hip-Hop artists making it in there. LL COOL J...... WTF????? More have been inducted that couldn't play a simple G Major chord or hit one thump on the bass kicker. Maybe I'm crazy but I thought this was for Rock artists??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfmYCM4CS8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvCvsRp5ho

Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Anyone who thinks that Deep Purple was a one-hit/one-album wonder doesn't know his rock and roll history. As much as I'm a big fan of the band, I also think there is plenty of objective evidence that Deep Purple is one of the most commercially- success and musically-influential hard rock bands in history. For example, if you want, I could rattle off a long list of well-known bands that Deep Purple has influenced.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
[quote=Axle grease;16642472]Bon Jovi, sure why not nominate them. They are still putting them out for over 20 years. IMO, there is a lot of ones being left out as well. Deep Purple should be in there as well as many more. The real joke is Rap and Hip-Hop artists making it in there. LL COOL J...... WTF????? More have been inducted that couldn't play a simple G Major chord or hit one thump on the bass kicker. Maybe I'm crazy but I thought this was for Rock artists??????

The two songs you posted are about the only two BJ songs that most guys listen to or at least admit listening to. The rest, not so much.

Right there with you on the rap and hip hop thing.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Deep Purple is one of the greatest rock bands. The only problem is they didn't make it in America . . .
Quite wrong. They had a hit in America right out of the chute with their cover of Joe South's "Hush" in 1968; the album from which it was taken (Shades of Deep Purple) was a best-selling album; their second single, a cover of Neil Diamond's "Kentucky Rain," also broke the top twenty in America; the Gillan-Glover lineup had several best-selling albums in America and at least one monster hit single ("Smoke on the Water"), not to mention sellout concerts across the country when they toured here. Deep Purple wasn't even close to being an obscurity in America, even if I think the first edition of the group (Rod Evans, vocal; Ritchie Blackmore, guitar; Jon Lord, keyboards; Nick Simper, bass; Ian Paice, drums) was badly underrated and the best-known and most popular lineup (substitute Ian Gillan, vocal; and, Roger Glover, bass) is badly overrated.

I'm on the fence about Deep Purple going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because there are far better and far more important people yet to go in (and it would only begin with the Butterfield Blues Band), but they were a big success in America if you're looking past mere hit singles.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
their second single, a cover of Neil Diamond's "Kentucky Rain," also broke the top twenty in America;
That's 'Kentucky Woman'.

this is not the radio version but it's just as good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWRCeIkB4M

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
The debate of who is deserving to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is pointless. It takes two things to get into the Hall of Fame:
1) Be a critical darling of Rolling Stone magazine and its founder Jann Wenner (who dominates the selection committee); and/ or
2) Have enough appeal to sell $1,000+ tickets to the induction banquet, which is the main fundraising event for the HOF foundation.

Honestly, who puts that much stock in a HOF that partly bases its selection decisions on whether the act will appeal to a bunch of investment bankers in NYC to pony up for banquet chicken meals to rub shoulders with a bunch of has beens.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
That's 'Kentucky Woman'.

this is not the radio version but it's just as good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWRCeIkB4M
*chuckle* Senior moment, I guess. "Kentucky Rain" was actually one of the records that could make you understand what John Lennon meant when he said Elvis died the day he went in the Army. To me, "Kentucky Rain" meant the end of Elvis's best post-Army/post-film music, the great Memphis music of 1967-69.

The original Deep Purple had some interesting original material (such as the driving instrumental "And the Address") and did some interesting things with covers such as "We Can Work It Out," "River Deep-Mountain High," and about the only version of "Hey, Joe" that doesn't make me want to puke over the latest Jimi Ray Vaughandrix wannabee who massacres it in a wall of noise in a bar band.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
The debate of who is deserving to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is pointless. It takes two things to get into the Hall of Fame:
1) Be a critical darling of Rolling Stone magazine and its founder Jann Wenner (who dominates the selection committee) . . .
Which is why I can't figure what's taking so long for the Butterfield Blues Band (who deserved the honour long before now) to get in . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music