Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

I like electronic music, but don't really know where to start, to find the good stuff, like with rock, or rap. Every once in a while,a car at work will have XM or Sirius activated, so that's my access to the music, specifically channel 52, the Electric Area. The thing is, the radios hardly ever have song infirmation, and the dj's don't always say the name of the songs. There's usually good stuff on there, too. I've only found one artist/group, by accident trying to find a certain version of a Matisyahu song, that was recorded here: The Crystal Method, they did a song with him.

Been having a similar problem with Rockabilly, and it's subgenres, too. Found the Necromantix via wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
For the love of House :2: Bring that beat back!

Jungle/DNB

Chill, Down Tempo, Groove

Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Go to youtube and type in 'electronic music' All kinds of bands will come up, you can choose from there.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
I love it. I love Seven Lions.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Go to youtube and type in 'electronic music' All kinds of bands will come up, you can choose from there.
That is a good idea. One thing I don't get is the differences in the genre, I don't want to look like a tool listening to a trance song, calling it house.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:08 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
That is a good idea. One thing I don't get is the differences in the genre, I don't want to look like a tool listening to a trance song, calling it house.
Maybe this helps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4r0MdBQI6U

Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM

4,585 posts, read 4,272,147 times
Default gnothi seauton~imitation to sincerity

So many genres and sub genres. I for one am happy to see this generic electronic thread. It's just easier to drop it here rather than start a new thread that would probably get lost in the shuffle.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I recommend just mocking all the microscopic sub-genres, until you get the hang of some of the differences, but I'm no expert on electronic music. And do you mostly mean the dance-oriented stuff or do you mean all electronic music? Because of course there is even some academic electronic music by classically trained composers that goes way back to the middle of the last century. I used to listen to a lot of "Teutonic electronics" and related stuff, back in the 80s, but I lost interest in most of it long ago. I still like this Klaus Schulze track (maybe I like having the organic addition of the cello):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mGuyX2Cao

And from this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb4VjeiIU0M

But I've also gotten to appreciate house a lot more recently, so I like lots of stuff that sounds somewhat like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHTq5rQl6Q

To actually answer your question, what about pandora.com? Find some electronic music you like and create a station from those artists and see what you get.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I used to listen to a lot of "Teutonic electronics" and related stuff, back in the 80s, but I lost interest in most of it long ago.

I've been listening to it for 30+ years. I simply refer to that as electronic music — along with Synergy, Schulze, Wendy Carlos, Tangerine Dream (and alumni), etc. — because I can't stand that trance and EDM nonsense. In fact, Peter Baumann (a former member of Tangerine Dream from '73-'77), just released his first solo album of instrumental electronic music since 1979 (of course, I'm not counting his '80s pop).

This nice chap even uploaded a full playback of Baumann's album, Machines of Desire, from his white vinyl issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyy0oZIkOPY

Old 07-20-2016, 09:37 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
While I'm at it, here's the official video for John Carpenter's "Night," a track from the first Lost Themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

Here's John and the band (which includes his son Cody on guitar) doing a live-in-studio rendition of the main title of Escape From New York, an electronic composition rearranged for synths, drums and guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_QOVaBA98
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music