Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
Another reason to consider the Beatles > than the Jacksons/Michael, if you don't count that none of the Jackson clan, Michael included, could have made an album like Revolver or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Abbey Road . . .

Not. even. at. their. absolute. nuttiest. (and Beatle nonsense was better than just about everyone else's Serious Art) did the Beatles (whose White Album included a ditty Paul McCartney wrote for his English sheepdog, Martha) even think about singing a love song to a rat . . .
That love song about a rat was a wonderful love song about a rat. lol

If anything albums like pepper is one reason the beatles are slightly overrated. I understand what it did for music but mjs own thriller and off the wall are superior to anything the beatles ever done

Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
This is one of those threads you almost dread coming to, if your a true lover of music...

Cause you can already predict how people will break things down.....

To see two great Icons compared to one another to me is gross...

I liken it more to two different parts of the same instrument...each with a purpose and particular sound...

Or like comparing your feet to your hands...

When I listen to MJ, I don't compare him to the beatles, I just enjoy him for the creative power and passion he had...

And when I listen to the Beetles, I don't compare them to MJ or anyone else...I just listen to them for the creative power they had...

You could only truly compare them if they both had similuar backgrounds and came from the same areas...

Each of their stories is fascinating and fabulious in and of itself....there's no need to compare them...
And I still enjoy songs by both...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default what would lead MJ

to a totally bland album(London Town) and song (Girlfriend) of Paul's and remake it on a blockbuster like Off The Wall. Girlfriend was not a strong track on Off The Wall and his choice of song reflected that. Do you think MJ took a liking to Girlfriend or did Paul suggest that MJ use it? Always wondered about that

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
This is one of those threads you almost dread coming to, if your a true lover of music...

Cause you can already predict how people will break things down.....

To see two great Icons compared to one another to me is gross...

I liken it more to two different parts of the same instrument...each with a purpose and particular sound...

Or like comparing your feet to your hands...

When I listen to MJ, I don't compare him to the beatles, I just enjoy him for the creative power and passion he had...

And when I listen to the Beetles, I don't compare them to MJ or anyone else...I just listen to them for the creative power they had...

You could only truly compare them if they both had similuar backgrounds and came from the same areas...

Each of their stories is fascinating and fabulious in and of itself....there's no need to compare them...
And I still enjoy songs by both...
Very true. It's kind of like defining art...it's going to be a different and subjective for each person.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM

990 posts, read 1,726,014 times
This is like comparing an excellent steak to delicious ripened fruit.
That being said didn't MJ get alot more poular after he died? People wern't saying much about his music before he died.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
This is like comparing an excellent steak to delicious ripened fruit.
That being said didn't MJ get alot more poular after he died? People wern't saying much about his music before he died.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! You obviously did not grow up in the 80's! LOL! Michael Jackson was it baby. Everyone was wearing red zippered jackets. My brother even wore one white glove to school. We all practiced our moonwalk and competed with others. Seriously...Michael Jackson invaded normal suburban life, even in Utah.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! You obviously did not grow up in the 80's! LOL! Michael Jackson was it baby. Everyone was wearing red zippered jackets. My brother even wore one white glove to school. We all practiced our moonwalk and competed with others. Seriously...Michael Jackson invaded normal suburban life, even in Utah.
I grew up in CA in the 80's and 1 in 100 would dress like that and usualy be laughed at. He was popular but there were more Madonnawannas than MJ.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I grew up in CA in the 80's and 1 in 100 would dress like that and usualy be laughed at. He was popular but there were more Madonnawannas than MJ.
It's funny that you brought that up because I was going to say there were a lot of Madonna inspired dressers.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
It's funny that you brought that up because I was going to say there were a lot of Madonna inspired dressers.
Maybe I was just sidetracked by the girls in Madonna outfits to notice the guys like MJ.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Maybe I was just sidetracked by the girls in Madonna outfits to notice the guys like MJ.
Heh!!! There you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music