Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm not doubting that he contributed a lot to music he just wasn't all that original. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!
I can see how you would think that if all you ever heard were the "radio" Elvis tunes, "B" movie Elvis and holiday Elvis. I suspect that you are inadequately acquainted with his portfolio. He did compromise a lot of artistic integrity for monetary gain later in his career and, unfortunately, the compromise junk tends to be more persistent.

Curious, tho: In your estimation, who is truly groundbreaking? Just so I understand where you're coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
[quote=Axle grease;17115300]You sure aren't a guitar player then! Or you'd know! (Ride On) 3:43-4:49, Angus is sure doing a pretty good job of it! I even have a Gibson SG you can use to take over and show us how it's done! Here are just a "FEW" more!

Part of the reason I can't stand AC/DC is the awful guitar playing.
I sold my Gibson SG and also my 1974 Les Paul and now play other guitars, but I sure wish you lived down here and made me that offer.
no problem with what you're saying, it's just ironic to me. That's easy guitar playing. Basic stuff.
Happy that you like it, though. That's cool!
I like plenty of basic stuff, too...in fact, I mostly like basic stuff. But when I hear AC/DC vocals along with it, plus the stupid lyrics....well, I cringe! "Dirty Deeds"? LMAO!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
I can't stand Elvis and Michael Jackson either

Old 12-24-2010, 03:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,591 times
Not a Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin fan, with the exception of a few songs each. Robert Plant's voice makes me wanna jump out a window, for the most part.
But this one is on the LIKE list. Good one. "The Immigrant Song":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--97IytCSE

Not an AC/DC fan.
But the couple of songs that I DO like I think are really good. "Thunderstruck" and "Money Talks" are very good songs. Both of them are off the same album, I believe.

Rolling Stones. They're really hit and miss with me, actually. If I dislike the song, I dislike it a lot. And if I like it, then I like it alot.
Here's one that I DO like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdJzLpWFYJ4

Old 12-24-2010, 03:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
I feel the same way about the Stones and The Who. I like thier British Invasion and psychedelic songs. But by the time they released thier stuff after that, eh...

Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,019,479 times
I despise Rage Against the Machine - All their songs sound the same. Is it just me?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:27 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,780 times
[quote=rainroosty;17121290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
You sure aren't a guitar player then! Or you'd know! (Ride On) 3:43-4:49, Angus is sure doing a pretty good job of it! I even have a Gibson SG you can use to take over and show us how it's done! Here are just a "FEW" more!

Part of the reason I can't stand AC/DC is the awful guitar playing.
I sold my Gibson SG and also my 1974 Les Paul and now play other guitars, but I sure wish you lived down here and made me that offer.
no problem with what you're saying, it's just ironic to me. That's easy guitar playing. Basic stuff.
Happy that you like it, though. That's cool!
I like plenty of basic stuff, too...in fact, I mostly like basic stuff. But when I hear AC/DC vocals along with it, plus the stupid lyrics....well, I cringe! "Dirty Deeds"? LMAO!
We aren't talking about the rythem guitar chords here. Were talking solos. I'd hardly consider playing with that feeling and emotion EASY!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Now I am not talking the current pop stars like Lady Gaga or Justin Beaver, I am talking iconic mega stars. Who just bugs you and you can’t stand listening to?

Mine is: Bruce Springsteen. I just can’t get into him, I think it all started with Born in the USA and the most basic beat in music, it drives me nuts. Sure he has a couple songs I can tolerate but there is just something about his music and attitude I just don’t like.
i've tried to like them, but the beatles do absolutely nothing for me

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,780 times
Once again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF-8HsLzLRY

Old 12-24-2010, 10:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
I love most 90's music, but No Doubt is one band I've never liked and I disliked them even more when Gwen Stefani went solo and released that album of hers that had the awful Hollaback Girl song on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music