Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, sorry, I know what I like. I did listen to a few opening bars of each of those songs. No big deal. I'm not going to bash your taste in music. We just like different things.
No worries; thx for your helpful feedback JustJulia Also thx for listing the sample song you like -- I will try listening when I have a chance later today (not allowed to open streaming files at work, lol)...definitely interested in learning more, about your musical taste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I prefer the old school ones...Sinatra is more my style.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Atlantic Starr - Always, will forever make me think of late 1980's Southern California Women's hair salons.
AFAIK, Atlantic Starr's "Always", is also still popular though, for quite a few couples' wedding songs, even today, and although mainstream music styles may have changed significantly since when it first came out

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 01-10-2011 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Over time pop music has moved from the soul to the heart to the loins.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
eeeek! i don't mind a bit of ambrosia ("your the biggest part of me" is a schmalzy fave) but yeah, even these are too sugary for my admittedly elitist pallet : )
Heheh, but what's so bad about "sugary" though, my friend, if a person is in love though? lol

But j/k, I understand what you mean...I know that the listed musical style is admittedly not for everyone...that's cool too

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I prefer the old school ones...Sinatra is more my style.
Hey I like some of Sinatra's stuff too! A very talented artist...

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Hey I like some of Sinatra's stuff too! A very talented artist...
Those were the days .

Today's pop isn't even romantic...It's wannabe smut, is what it is.

Why don't they cut to the chase and sing about dicks and *******?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Those were the days .

Today's pop isn't even romantic...It's wannabe smut, is what it is.

Why don't they cut to the chase and sing about dicks and *******?
Agreed...pop today definitely ain't what it used to be

I would hope though, that the linked selections I provided here, at least aren't reflective of the described bolded portion above? (They had always struck me, at least, as the kind of heartwarming-romantic type ballads, one might find as a potential wedding dedication to their beloved?)

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Agreed...pop today definitely ain't what it used to be

I would hope though, that the linked selections I provided here, at least aren't reflective of the described bolded portion above? (They had always struck me, at least, as the kind of heartwarming-romantic type ballads, one might find as a potential wedding dedication to their beloved?)
They're okay, a little too gooey for my tastes, but if it's a good melody I don't really care what they're singing about. They could be singing about keeping regular and I'd be groovin' along!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
They're okay, a little too gooey for my tastes, but if it's a good melody I don't really care what they're singing about. They could be singing about keeping regular and I'd be groovin' along!
Fascinating...thanks again, for the valuable feedback.

I guess I am very blessed then, that the girl I am talking with romantically at the moment (potential is looking good that something more might hopefully happen in that regard), also really like these kinds of songs too

Hmm, I wonder, if one's love language style is "Words of Affirmation" (i.e., referring to the popular "5 Love Languages" self-help book, where "Words of Affirmation" means that being very verbally-affectionate, is very important to making someone feel loved), makes a difference at all as to what kind of musical style they may like?

The reason I ask is, the girl and I who both like these kinds of songs, are verbally super-affectionate (some might "too affectionate" or "too sugary", lol) to each other. But the thing is, when we say it to each other, we really mean it though, too -- it's not just "empty words". And most if not all of the songs I listed, have that kind of overly-affectionate language, in them. That's why I wonder, if perhaps it isn't a coincidence, that she and both like this kind of love ballad style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music