Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Sorry (well, SORTA, but not really...) to make a new thread on something that might strike many as a waste. But what the hell, I am now committed. And appeal to the part of every lover of oldies who have, at one time or another, remember a song and not being able, later in years, to remember the title/artist!

Ok..in THIS case, it is an old country hit from back in the late 70's or so. I don't know that it ever made any great shake on the charts, but it WAS a popular play on the jukeboxes in the honky-tonk beer joints of the day. I used to love it and cannot remember it to save my life, today. Soooo...can some of y'all out there lend a hand>

What I most remember is that the lyrics started out with something like:

"I like dark little neighborhood places with bowling machings in the rear..."

It was one of those sorta "estranged love" type stereotypical country songs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry (well, SORTA, but not really...) to make a new thread on something that might strike many as a waste. But what the hell, I am now committed. And appeal to the part of every lover of oldies who have, at one time or another, remember a song and not being able, later in years, to remember the title/artist!

Ok..in THIS case, it is an old country hit from back in the late 70's or so. I don't know that it ever made any great shake on the charts, but it WAS a popular play on the jukeboxes in the honky-tonk beer joints of the day. I used to love it and cannot remember it to save my life, today. Soooo...can some of y'all out there lend a hand>

Alrighty Reb, I'll try to find it. You said it was from the 70's, but do you remember a particular year you remember hearing it?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:

Hey, Rebby, can you also think of a chorus on that, too, by any chance?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Alrighty Reb, I'll try to find it. You said it was from the 70's, but do you remember a particular year you remember hearing it?
Hey DK!

I am thinking it was somewhere between 1976 - 1979. At my age, all those young years and honky-tonk beer and juke-joint memories tend to blend together! LOL

Thanks for anything you might come up with, buddy!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hey, Rebby, can you also think of a chorus on that, too, by any chance?
Well, Case, I remember for sure that it started out with:

"I like dark little neighborhood places with bowling machines in the rear..."

Perhaps "places" might have been "taverns" but those lyrics are, if not exact, pretty dad-gum close.

Seems like there was something else that went along the lines of:

"So, what are you telling me now, Joe..."

And another line which went (if I recall correctly):

"Back when she used to be mine..."

Seems like it was by a popular country singer of the time, but not necessarily one that ranked super high on the charts...

Appreciate your assistance on this. It has been driving me nuts for, oh, at least two years or so! LOL

Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Do you remember if the singer was a guy or a gal? Individual or group?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Do you remember if the singer was a guy or a gal? Individual or group?
It was a male singer for sure. And a solo, not a group.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
It was a male singer for sure. And a solo, not a group.

Well, Rebby, the search engines have not helped, so this may take a while. I'm getting no match whatsoever on the things you've mentioned. I can narrow it down to just specific honky-tonk artists (Moe Bandy, Johnny Lee, Mickey Gilley, but there may be others) and search by artist, but it could well take a great deal of time to search all of those guys' lyrics unless somebody else comes up with it sooner.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well, Rebby, the search engines have not helped, so this may take a while. I'm getting no match whatsoever on the things you've mentioned. I can narrow it down to just specific honky-tonk artists (Moe Bandy, Johnny Lee, Mickey Gilley, but there may be others) and search by artist, but it could well take a great deal of time to search all of those guys' lyrics unless somebody else comes up with it sooner.
Again though, Case, thanks for trying. I bet you (and many others as well) would recognize it when it plays.

As it is, yeah, I hit a dead end everytime. However, as you mentioned, Moe Bandy, Joe Stampley, Johnny Lee, etc, sound (no pun intended) like those who might have done it!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
Sorry, I can't place this song or artist. I am trying to figure out the title and artist to a country/gospel song from the same era that had the lyrics "Where would God baptize Jesus when he comes down again? Would it be the river Jorden or the river Thames?" It was a male singer. I have searched lyric websites but no luck. Any guesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music