U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM

12,142 posts, read 10,109,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
its not a fact, but your opinion.
Thats fine. You appreciate pop, I'm not really a fan of this sort of music ~ and don't see that much talent in the those two ( perry & kesha,)
Now Kesha is music gone retarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 PM

10,804 posts, read 5,594,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Now Kesha is music gone retarded.
haha you're preaching to the converted.

When I first heard her first song on the radio, I thought it was the radio station taking the pi$$ out of that type of music. I recall laughing... then I realised it was real

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM

3,385 posts, read 4,840,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, Welcome to "Getting Old". I heard the same stuff except it was Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I have PTSD when people tell me today to turn the stereo down from the wars I had with my parents back in the 1970s when they yelled at me to "Turn that god damn thing down!"

"If it's too loud, you're too old"
wrong. This is certifiable garbage! If a kid is listening to the Pixies or Neutral Milk Hotel i may request to have it turned down, Otherwise, they will be grounded!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,574,301 times
Quote:
And yes, they have chart topping songs. That doesn't prove talent.
Explain then how they were found and "created"? I see plenty of way more attractive females in my area yet none of them are pop stars, making internationally big hits.

Quote:
Just because someone has a drivers license doesn't mean they can drive well.
Terrible analogy. No relation.

Quote:
If they didn't have their images, say they were overweight and homely looking, do you honestly believe they would be this popular?
First off, this is music. The vast majority hear a song prior to actually seeing what the person looks like who is singing that song.

To your statement, do you realize one of the most famous rappers ever weighed around 350lbs? Adele is size 14-16 yet she has this week's #1 song on Billboard Top 100. Cee-Lo Green is a big guy and is still in the Top 30. DJ Khalid is another big guy and is in the Top 20 with his track.

Quote:
Be honest. You mentioned "they're not Britney Spears" in an earlier post. Didn't she also have songs high in the charts too?
She lipsyncs, never wrote any song she has EVER sang, and has no input in the songs produced. She was "found" via a television show i.e. actress made singer. This is why I made the comment against Spears.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 AM

4,732 posts, read 1,636,050 times
No one forces you to like any musician. I personally don't care for Gaga's music or Kesha's for that matter. I do like some of Katy Perry's songs, because well I think they're catchy. And she does have a good voice, she just doesn't always use it.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Explain then how they were found and "created"? I see plenty of way more attractive females in my area yet none of them are pop stars, making internationally big hits.
Same way Rebecca Black was, resources. You seem unfamiliar with that term.
Quote:
Terrible analogy. No relation.
No relation but it still applies. Having something doesn't necessarily prove you're good at it.
Quote:
First off, this is music. The vast majority hear a song prior to actually seeing what the person looks like who is singing that song
This may have been true at one time but not in the 21st century. Many of todays pop artist were discovered, often from videos they produced. Just Beiber was found by Usher on Youtube in a video he did.
Quote:
To your statement, do you realize one of the most famous rappers ever weighed around 350lbs? Adele is size 14-16 yet she has this week's #1 song on Billboard Top 100. Cee-Lo Green is a big guy and is still in the Top 30. DJ Khalid is another big guy and is in the Top 20 with his track.
Hip-Hop industry is a bit different than the pop industry. Most of the pop rappers however don't quite fit that image.
Quote:
She lipsyncs, never wrote any song she has EVER sang, and has no input in the songs produced. She was "found" via a television show i.e. actress made singer. This is why I made the comment against Spears.
Which is exactly my point. One does not have to be talented in the pop industry to have chart topping songs. Again, writing ones own music isn't a special feat unless you don't know music at all then it can seem that way.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM

2,519 posts, read 1,574,301 times
Quote:
Same way Rebecca Black was, resources. You seem unfamiliar with that term.
Rebecca Black is a youtube fad. She went nowhere hence why no big record label signed her. No followup and her song never hit Billboard. Again, no relation. Please explain why she is nowhere yet Perry and Gaga are everywhere around the world, topping all the charts. Go.

Quote:
No relation but it still applies. Having something doesn't necessarily prove you're good at it.
Yea Grammy wins/nominations just get handed to every musician ... oh wait they don't so it's not comparable.

Quote:
This may have been true at one time but not in the 21st century. Many of todays pop artist were discovered, often from videos they produced. Just Beiber was found by Usher on Youtube in a video he did.
And it had nothing to do with the fact that he sang these R&B tracks extremely well... I guess he isn't talented too, right? At the time, he was a 15 year old kid that played guitar, drums, and piano and sang well.

Quote:
Hip-Hop industry is a bit different than the pop industry. Most of the pop rappers however don't quite fit that image.
Explain.

Biggie, Big Pun, Fat Boys, etc were played on Pop stations, just like Khalid, Jeezy, Rick Ross, etc all are today. Your argument seems to be slipping.

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. One does not have to be talented in the pop industry to have chart topping songs. Again, writing ones own music isn't a special feat unless you don't know music at all then it can seem that way.
What is your point? Gaga and Perry don't lipsync. They write their own music. They play their own instruments (Gaga - Piano, Perry - Guitar). They came up after trying to break through and finally made it without any service (TV in the case of Britney) pushing their name. Completely different level of star.

If it is so easy, write a song, perform it on youtube, and let's see you get picked up by a label and produce a record off of it...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Rebecca Black is a youtube fad. She went nowhere hence why no big record label signed her. No followup and her song never hit Billboard. Again, no relation. Please explain why she is nowhere yet Perry and Gaga are everywhere around the world, topping all the charts. Go.

Yea Grammy wins/nominations just get handed to every musician ... oh wait they don't so it's not comparable.

And it had nothing to do with the fact that he sang these R&B tracks extremely well... I guess he isn't talented too, right? At the time, he was a 15 year old kid that played guitar, drums, and piano and sang well.

Explain.

Biggie, Big Pun, Fat Boys, etc were played on Pop stations, just like Khalid, Jeezy, Rick Ross, etc all are today. Your argument seems to be slipping.

What is your point? Gaga and Perry don't lipsync. They write their own music. They play their own instruments (Gaga - Piano, Perry - Guitar). They came up after trying to break through and finally made it without any service (TV in the case of Britney) pushing their name. Completely different level of star.

If it is so easy, write a song, perform it on youtube, and let's see you get picked up by a label and produce a record off of it...
OK, we're just going in circles here so I guess this debate is over. You're just repeating the same things and I don't like to do that so carry on.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,807,156 times
Those two just make me appreciate Patti Smith even more.

"I kissed a girl" is cute but "Gloria" is a revelation even today.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 6,929,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I just don't get the hype with these two. Katy Perry disgusts me. In nearly every interview that I have read with her, she discusses her breasts. Lady Gaga's music is no different than any other pop singer so I don't get what is unique about her. Is it just her style? I mean if all it takes to be a pop singer is to dress insane and have a half decent voice, please sign me up to make my first album.
You don't have to like either just like I despise "country" music and their twangy guitars!
Lady Gaga is a accomplished musician & songwriter and wrote songs for other artists before she came out on her own.
Who the hell is Katy Perry again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music