Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
You don't have to like them.

I should be asking that question because I'm gay. They both have a huge gay fan base, yet I think they suck. I prefer indie, classic rock, metal, new wave, alternative and hair bands myself.
Good for you for stepping out of the stereotype. Let the pop zombies listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. I listen to the same music as you do and personally like the fact that the sheep all amass to those creatures. Makes me feel more original in my own music taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I watched Lady Gaga last night on HBO "Monsters Ball." All I could think was she is a newer version of Madonna. I woke up this morning thinking, her message was upbeat and I'll bet everyone left Madison Square Garden, feeling a little better about themselves. The woman does work hard and can carry on a two hour show without missing a beat.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
I'll never understand either but its what people think is cool nowadays.

Lady Gaga- I think she actually has a pretty nice voice and she is a good pianist. I can care less what anyone else says, but I actually find her very attractive (besides her nose). Her tunes aren't downright horrible (to me) but I just don't understand why the vast majority of audiences think her tunes are so astronomical. To me, her tunes are just over-the-top dance songs. Her antics, are really just childish and attention whorish to me. The whole putting her hand on the opposite side of her chest and sticking her middle finger at the crowd at the baseball game was just so silly. It wasn't like even jaw dropping shocking--it wasn't shocking at all. It was more of a "roll my eyes and turn my head" type of non-sense she was doing.

Her act is getting old and it kills me that the media and audiences just keep buying into it and eating it up and call it "cutting edge". To some people though, its just exciting and fun. Personally, she's talented and makes okay, catchy music but she just isn't as iconic to me as MTV and other media outlets want to make her out to be. Lady Gaga just isn't this generations Madonna, and there just simply isn't going to be another Madonna.

Madonna was cutting edge and just simply ahead of her time. She was doing shocking antics during a more conservative time.

If I was Gaga, I'll be bothered if everyone kept comparing me to Madonna. I'd much rather be an entity of my own. That's probably why she got those implants on her face to furhter separate herself from Madonna. Point black, I don't buy into Gaga's craziness and I don't let it be the highlight of my news. Regardless, Gaga has left her name in the music industry whether people who agree with me like it or not. So, good for her!

Katy Perry- Sort of the same thing with Gaga. I think she's beautiful and I really love her look. To me, she kind of looks like a "normal" lady, a next door neighbor of mine, not some goddess, which is more the appeal to me honestly. When she first appeared on the scene, I HATED her tunes. They were all remixes of 80's songs (the artist I forget the name of) and it KILLED me to hear stupid teenage girls or even young adults at gatherings jumping up and down to the song "I kissed a girl". On top of that, I heard her sing live, and it wasn't very good at all.

Now fast forward to her recent stuff, and I like her songs "extraterrestrial" and "Teenage dream" quite a lot. I'm still not a fan of hers though. She's just another artist who makes okay music and is over exposed to me. Again, good for her and its what the masses like, so whatever.

Someone mentioned Kesha. That b i t c h is just a downright airhead and complete joke. AGAIN, good for her, and she should be counting her blessings that people are so brain washed by what the media tells them to like. Because her fans are paying her bills. What a damn shame, I haven't heard such retarded music in sometime. Gaga and Perry look and sound like Beethoven compared to this dimwit.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
You don't have to like them.

I should be asking that question because I'm gay. They both have a huge gay fan base, yet I think they suck. I prefer indie, classic rock, metal, new wave, alternative and hair bands myself.
I was going to touch on that. I am ALL for gay rights but it kills me how all my gay friends put these two fools on a pedastool because they preach gay rights all the time. All they're doing is speaking for the gay people to get more $$$.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM

664 posts, read 855,141 times
you can like whomever you want. LOL

i like Lady Gaga. i don't have her albums, but i like her. i think she is a good singer, and i freakin' loveeeeeee to hear her sing live. ugh, i love her live versions of her songs. omg she did Bad Romance sitting at her piano and i was as like SING girl!!!! LMAOOOOO she sounds so good live.

i don't like how she dresses though. i'm like girl you doin' to much with that stuff.

Last edited by branfan; 05-08-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM

664 posts, read 855,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
... I see what you did there ....

What I want to know is, why when I go to youtube and check out GOOD music, there is either Beiber in the background or comments? Its insane!

LMAOOOOOOOOO omg i love when people say that.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
To me, I think Lady Gaga is a breath of fresh air. She takes risks with her work, and I think they sound great the majority of the time. Her voice is unique, and she is a very talented musician. Plus, her lyrics are catchy the majority of the time. Her work isn't one dimensional, like Katy Perry and Britney Spears. Heck, a lot of mainstream pop artists are pretty one dimensional. They sound the same, while Gaga sounds different in every song.

And from what I hear, she's an amazing live performer. I don't like Katy Perry.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Gaga is controversial for the sake of selling records. Can you honestly tell me that she wore a meat dress in the name of fashion? It was the same with Madonna. Start out normal. Find your "sthick" then go over board with it.

As far as her "music" goes....it's over-produced garbage club beats and anthems to keep her songs playing on the radio and keep people buying albums. If you think the stuff Gaga, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, etc is putting out is music then I feel sorry for you because your parents never exposed to what REAL music is.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
"Real music" is all relative.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I just don't get the hype with these two. Katy Perry disgusts me. In nearly every interview that I have read with her, she discusses her breasts. Lady Gaga's music is no different than any other pop singer so I don't get what is unique about her. Is it just her style? I mean if all it takes to be a pop singer is to dress insane and have a half decent voice, please sign me up to make my first album.
hater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music