Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

I dont care for either perry or gaga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Someone mentioned Kesha. That b i t c h is just a downright airhead and complete joke.
It is a persona.

It's funny how people get on these singer-songwriters (Gaga, Perry, Kesha) in the genre of pop/dance pop. The idea behind the music is to dance. If you want to get on some people, get on the ones who don't write their own music.

As the two OP mentioned... as they have got bigger they have also strayed from the style that made them famous with songs like 'Speechless' and 'Not Like the Movies'.

Lastly, if the music wasn't that good, someone wouldn't be listening to it. No one would have paid those crazy high prices for Gaga's latest concert tour. Also, these artists would have never been recorded by a big record label (Interscope, Capital Records, RCA); the same labels that signed/recorded some of your favorite rock/hip hop/r&b/pop/country/whatever your favorite band/star is.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I just don't get the hype with these two. Katy Perry disgusts me. In nearly every interview that I have read with her, she discusses her breasts. Lady Gaga's music is no different than any other pop singer so I don't get what is unique about her. Is it just her style? I mean if all it takes to be a pop singer is to dress insane and have a half decent voice, please sign me up to make my first album.
If you don't you don't! And that's me!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
I'm going to be a little more charitable than some of the people have been on this thread and say that Katy Perry and Lady Gaga do have a few positive points in spite of mostly being mediocre artists.

For instance, I'm embarrassed to say that I really like "ET" by Katy Perry in spite of its bad lyrics. But, I credit the goodness of the song to Perry's production team. Whoever is producing her songs is putting together some great arrangements that disguise the mediocrity of Perry's voice and the stupidity of her songs' lyrics. The rest of Perry's songs are pretty much the same: excellent production disguising bad lyrics and shaky songwriting.

Lady Gaga, on the other hand, actually has some real singing and songwriting chops, but I feel she's wasting them on mediocre dance pop arrangements or rehashes of 80's - 90's pop music ("Born This Way" sounds so much like "Express" yourself that I'm amazed that Madonna hasn't sued, and "Alejandro" sounds just like "Don't Turn Around" by Ace of Bass). That leaves her image, which is not really that cutting-edge when you consider that Madonna, David Bowie, Grace Jones, and Marilyn Manson were all doing the same shock rock/androgyny shtick many years ago. I don't even think Lady Gaga's spin on glam pop is particularly interesting.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I just don't get the hype with these two. Katy Perry disgusts me. In nearly every interview that I have read with her, she discusses her breasts. Lady Gaga's music is no different than any other pop singer so I don't get what is unique about her. Is it just her style? I mean if all it takes to be a pop singer is to dress insane and have a half decent voice, please sign me up to make my first album.
OK, Welcome to "Getting Old". I heard the same stuff except it was Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I have PTSD when people tell me today to turn the stereo down from the wars I had with my parents back in the 1970s when they yelled at me to "Turn that god damn thing down!"

"If it's too loud, you're too old"

Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
For instance, I'm embarrassed to say that I really like "ET" by Katy Perry in spite of its bad lyrics. But, I credit the goodness of the song to Perry's production team. Whoever is producing her songs is putting together some great arrangements that disguise the mediocrity of Perry's voice and the stupidity of her songs' lyrics. The rest of Perry's songs are pretty much the same: excellent production disguising bad lyrics and shaky songwriting.
Yes this right here. +1 for this. People do not understand that the way music is produced makes all the difference in the world. They write their own music...ok and? I write my own music too, big deal. As a musician myself I can tell you their songs (especially Katy Perry's) are not musically interesting. I do like Lady Gaga a little more though. Their songs do and will still sound better than mine (I do dance music too) because they are able to pay 5,000+ dollars for high end mastering. Studios with monitors costing a few thousand dollars each so every glitch in the music can be "tamed". I have to mix and master in the same room with the same system. They have it done in two different studios.

The production is frequently more important than the music itself. Also, there's the promotion. Really good promotion is what gets songs out there. See, us indie artist can't afford that either. In fact, this is frequently what stops us dead in our tracks.

They're not incredibly great musicians, they have incredibly great resources.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, Welcome to "Getting Old". I heard the same stuff except it was Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I have PTSD when people tell me today to turn the stereo down from the wars I had with my parents back in the 1970s when they yelled at me to "Turn that god damn thing down!"

"If it's too loud, you're too old"
Very true Charles

Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:

The corporate machine works together to make their toys the most prized possessions in any society. Once they stop making their puppeteers money they are thrown away and replaced with something similar just younger.

Its sad how they treat human life but it is the way things are. These "artists" know it and accept it for a brief time of fame and millions in the banks. Wouldn't you?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Who's Katy Perry?

I had to search online for Lady Gaga, after hearing the name so frequently. I found some of her clips to play and thought she was definitely not a singer. She does seem to have a knack for showmanship, though.

Reminds me a lot of Sarah Palin.... lots of attention, but not much substance.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Who's Katy Perry?
Do you live under a rock? She's got the # 1 hit song in the U.S. right now and has had several other major hits in the last 3 years. She's as big as Lady Gaga. But let me tell you, though, your rock is a good place to live under because you're not missing much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music