Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,561,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I guess another that could make you lasting is Christmas music. People still listen to Nat King Cole and much older Christmas songs. Among active singers and groups Mariah Carey, Josh Groban, and Mannheim Steamroller have had some of the most successful Christmas albums. Andrea Bocelli, Harry Connick Jr, and Celine Dion have also done well with Christmas albums. Among the British Coldplay had a hit Christmas song last year it seems.
Here my christmas classic!!!!!! Once I hear this song its Official no matter what city I am in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCY2JhrwxVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Even with the uptick in interest for non-commercial music, when you look at the outlets that expose this music, it is still done in a way that mirrors payola and gives a lot of legitimacy to the notion that even though it isn't pop music (yet), it's not for a lack of trying. Pop music isn't definable because it's not a musical form.
Cut to the chase. How is this any different to the music of before? Woodstock vs Bonnaroo. More drugs than music. A festival spanning multiple days with all the rock you can handle. They are practically the same thing just 40+ years difference.

Quote:
I think most music is consumable and captures an element in time.
Alot of people remember moments in time based on a song they heard. Most of the user base especially in this forum in particular grew up in the era (70s) that is being compared to today's music; thus this is where their memories of time come into play.

Quote:
My observation is that much of the music music that is either marketed or labeled as the most enduring isn't necessarily because of the music itself.
Enduring refers to something that stands the test of time. No one is going out labeling something is. It will just happen over time. Notice classic stations have been adding tons of 80s/90s artists such as Bon Jovi, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and U2 to name a few to their rotations. At some point, the 70s stuff will fade out on those stations as more stuff gets added.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's the antics of the artists that become part of the zeitgeist or the music falls into an easily identifiable demographic to market to.
The same could be said to previous music era. Guys like David Bowie and Iggy Pop are example of "antics of the artists" from the 70s.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 PM

7,424 posts, read 4,667,598 times
Alabama Shakes baby!

You Ain't Alone - Alabama Shakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxNtWEIKhQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music