U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 AM
bjh bjh started this thread
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
30,752 posts, read 23,791,826 times
Reputation: 122475

Advertisements

There's so much empty garbage these days that's just designed to sell CDs. Empty music like Beiber. Or outrageous crap like almost any rap or hip hop.

Who's making music that might actually still be around in, say, 50 years?

Last edited by bjh; 03-02-2011 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: improve accuracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,523 times
Reputation: 23
Default The Inspector

Did any one ever here of the The Inspector (dub mix) other than myself. The artist is Phil Casagrande. I herd him on the internet. Picked it up on itunes its awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 44,654,912 times
Reputation: 10382
I do have to agree that the Beatles are bubble gum music. They just happen to be the best in the biz at it. I do not agree that there will be one single memorable song out the past 15 years that will be on the radio in 30 years. It just ain't going to happen. I'd bet the whole farm on my statement.

Back to the question of who's making good music today? Well no argument there. Country music is in. It is still being produced every day, country fans from way back still love it and old rockers like myself have discovered it. Well they just ain't making rock anymore. Fewer and fewer radio stations are playing what we now call classic rock, and more and more country stations are playing all the newest releases.

I don't see the wrap and hippity hoppity fruit music (noise) dying anytime soon but it will. It will go to the same grave yard as disco and grunge and all that hogwash. But rock will never die. Even the younger generation is picking up on it. I'm seeing more and more teenagers at rock concerts where the typical crowds are in their 50s just like yours truly. At a recent Styx concert there were teens all around me singing word for word most of Styx's greatest hits. Makes me tickle inside.

I cringe at the utter trash out there today. Just Bieber, Rihamma, M&M, Little Fat Wane, Usher, Kane East......or is it West? I don't care as long as he goes south. Then the most disgusting display of lack of talent of them all. That Ladybird Gagaga piece of human waste. When garbage like this is what the young people are listening to, it may be more of a threat to our culture then the current economic depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Reputation: 6679
Impossible to know really. As a guess whoever is doing the theme music and songs to children's shows and films as people remember important songs from childhood quite well. So like Michael Giacchino (Up, Ratatouille) Alan Menken (various Disney), Ziggy Marley (theme to cartoon series Arthur), Randy Newman (Toy Story movies, other Pixar films), and James L. Venable (Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, etc).

Several film score composers might be producing music that will be remembered. I've already named Giacchino, but John Debney (The Passion of the Christ and Disney stuff), Alexandre Desplat (...Benjamin Button, The King's Speech, etc), A. R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours), and a few others other 60 might have work that's remembered for decades.

Considering John Debney has apparently done music for kids shows and a major religious-themed film I'll guess his music is the most likely to "endure" of people I named. Although I'd think Michael Giacchino and Randy Newman are real close.

If you want something more "mainstream" I might guess a singer-songwriter, particularly if they're associated to a popular film or TV show. Sarah McLachlan had a song in Toy Story 2 and I think some of her songs might last.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 03-02-2011 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 4,825,499 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Hip Hop has been around since the 70s (i.e. around 40+ years). Disco and Grunge didn't even last half a decade. Good luck with that thinking.
Hip hop with a catchy beat and finely thought-out lyrics will always be around. Just like RnB music with subtle, yet clean lyrics that express whatever message the song is trying to put out.

However, the over-use of the autotune software will surely go the way of the Dodo Bird and something new will come along to ruffle everyones feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Hip hop with a catchy beat and finely thought-out lyrics will always be around. Just like RnB music with subtle, yet clean lyrics that express whatever message the song is trying to put out.

However, the over-use of the autotune software will surely go the way of the Dodo Bird and something new will come along to ruffle everyones feathers.
Only time will tell how long autotune will be used. The majority of Hip Hop artists don't utilize autotune. Autotune is really only prelevant in mainstream adult contemporary radio songs. Even those artists only use Autotune in a song here or there i.e. Kanye West. Also, the use of Autotune doesn't make the artist any less talented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Reputation: 6679
I guess another that could make you lasting is Christmas music. People still listen to Nat King Cole and much older Christmas songs. Among active singers and groups Mariah Carey, Josh Groban, and Mannheim Steamroller have had some of the most successful Christmas albums. Andrea Bocelli, Harry Connick Jr, and Celine Dion have also done well with Christmas albums. Among the British Coldplay had a hit Christmas song last year it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
bjh bjh started this thread
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
30,752 posts, read 23,791,826 times
Reputation: 122475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnluc View Post
Did any one ever here of the The Inspector (dub mix) other than myself. The artist is Phil Casagrande. I herd him on the internet. Picked it up on itunes its awesome!!!
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do have to agree that the Beatles are bubble gum music. They just happen to be the best in the biz at it. I do not agree that there will be one single memorable song out the past 15 years that will be on the radio in 30 years. It just ain't going to happen. I'd bet the whole farm on my statement.

Back to the question of who's making good music today? Well no argument there. Country music is in. It is still being produced every day, country fans from way back still love it and old rockers like myself have discovered it. Well they just ain't making rock anymore. Fewer and fewer radio stations are playing what we now call classic rock, and more and more country stations are playing all the newest releases.

I don't see the wrap and hippity hoppity fruit music (noise) dying anytime soon but it will. It will go to the same grave yard as disco and grunge and all that hogwash. But rock will never die. Even the younger generation is picking up on it. I'm seeing more and more teenagers at rock concerts where the typical crowds are in their 50s just like yours truly. At a recent Styx concert there were teens all around me singing word for word most of Styx's greatest hits. Makes me tickle inside.

I cringe at the utter trash out there today. Just Bieber, Rihamma, M&M, Little Fat Wane, Usher, Kane East......or is it West? I don't care as long as he goes south. Then the most disgusting display of lack of talent of them all. That Ladybird Gagaga piece of human waste. When garbage like this is what the young people are listening to, it may be more of a threat to our culture then the current economic depression.
This post rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 AM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,368,828 times
Reputation: 4000
There are some great artists making music currently. The problem is the mainstream is powered by teens and young adults. In the past alternatives to mainstream music were offered by media outlets.
That is no longer the case. Alternative music is now powered by the consumer. If we want go music to flourish we need to find it ourselves. But the most important thing is when we do find something new we like we need to pay for it.

Great new music that I hope will be around for years to come.

The Black Keys, Band of Horses, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, The Cold War Kids, The Dead Weather, Ray LaMontagne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Reputation: 6679
If we can include older musicians who are still active

Cafe Tacuba - Latin music might be the future what with demographics.
Stanley Clarke
Peter Gabriel
Herbie Hancock
Keith Jarrett
Alison Krauss
Reba McEntire
Keb Mo
Charlie Musselwhite
They Might Be Giants - As they have big kid appeal while being stuff you can listen to as an adult.
U2 - Maybe not still "current" though as I think they're seen as in decline.
Chucho Valdes

Because country, blues, and jazz fans have fairly "long memories" I included several of them. Thinking on that I should maybe also include a few noteworthy or promising younger musicians in those genres.

Joe Bonamassa
Taylor Eigsti
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Chris Thile
Derek Trucks

Last edited by Thomas R.; 03-03-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top