Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM

81 posts, read 238,491 times

Advertisements

I do not want to start a controversy, but after watching several seasons of American Idol and a number of these other music contests, I am surprised that I do not see many African American female contestants. I have friends who can sing better than many of the white female contestants who participate in the show.

I do not like to start generalizations because there are very good white females who can sing, but can we all agree on whole african american females have better vocals and can carry a tune much better than Caucasian females. Some artists out there like Miley Cyrus, H Duff, oh my goodness.

Do you believe one reason why most african american females singers dont hit it big is due to the way that mainstream America dont find african american females attractive? In any case I think as a whole African American female singers are much more talented than Caucasian females singers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:10 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Everything depends on taste. While many African-American women have powerful voices, not everyone wants a power-ballad singer. Moreover, singers such as MC and HD cater to a teen fan base whose tastes are as dependent on talent as they are image and "personality." Remember, there is a difference between a celebrity and an actual artist.

Looks will always play a part in a singer's popularity but I don't think that they are a hindrance if a singer's style really is appreciated; singers such as Jennifer Hudson--who eclipsed Barbie-Beyonce in Dreamgirls--are evidence of that.

But, personally, not every singer with a power voice is an interesting singer. Interpretation counts for a lot. Billie Holiday was never the most attractive woman, nor did she sing power ballads, but her interpretation of songs was appreciated by the masses (in her time). And I think that the same principles hold true today, most Americans want singers who are unique, who have a certain je ne sais quoi that cannot be emulated and that goes beyond their vocal range.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,168 times
Hmmm, Im partial to black singers and I can only think of one white singer who I would actually support, and thats Diane Schuur. A lot of people thought that Fantasia was unattractive(I dont) but she still won Idol.*shrugs*

Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I find this a ridicules subject. I just counted the 200 greatest female vocalists and there were 100 white and 100 black. If there is any difference it may be in the cultural choices of what each of them choose to sing. Sometimes the size if the audience is a better gauge of success then popular belief.

There certainly is less of a demand for that hippity hoppity teenage thug crap the pop radio stations try and jamb down the gullible Sheep throats. And this material tends to be more attractive to the African American listeners, especially the youth. Your thinking should be more about how big an audience is rather then to who is better. No one is better then anyone but individually some people have more entertainment talent then others. I wish I was one of them.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,620 times
I think this is a very subjective question. It just depends on one's tastes in music. I don't watch American Idol anymore, but I used to and enjoyed a variety of voices....I am a Fantasia fan (and met her in person a few months ago....very nice young lady who was willing to sacrifice time from her dinner date to take pictures and HUG her fans!) but I'm also a Carrie Underwood fan. Country music isn't even near my genre of choice, but that is one white girl who can sing her behind off I think mainstream America tends to identify with singers who have a certain look or attitude....skin color really isn't part of that equation. If you can sing, you can sing in my book!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Are African American female singers better than Caucasian female singers
Dont go by American Idol results. Go by who is actually really good and professional.

Some great singers:

Christina Aguilera
Celene Dion
Mary J. Blige
Maria McKee - From Lone Justice
Whitney Houston
Patti LaBelle

Race plays no part in it at all. NONE.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dont go by American Idol results. Go by who is actually really good and professional.

Some great singers:

Christina Aguilera
Celene Dion
Mary J. Blige
Maria McKee - From Lone Justice
Whitney Houston
Patti LaBelle

Race plays no part in it at all. NONE.
Exactly. Its all in what one prefers. I have never heard of Maria McKee but I think that the only person on your list who can sing is Whitney Houston. lol So, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,785 times
Well Whitney Houston wasn't called "the Voice" for nothing.. JK.

But like mostly everyone has said before me, it just goes down to musical taste. But for me I prefer African American female singers because I'm a huge fan of R&B/Soul music and they have those genres on lock.

Patti Labelle
Stephanie Mills
Beyonce
Whitney Houston
Aretha Franklin
Gladys Knight

so on and so on...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I find this a ridicules subject. I just counted the 200 greatest female vocalists and there were 100 white and 100 black. If there is any difference it may be in the cultural choices of what each of them choose to sing. Sometimes the size if the audience is a better gauge of success then popular belief.

There certainly is less of a demand for that hippity hoppity teenage thug crap the pop radio stations try and jamb down the gullible Sheep throats. And this material tends to be more attractive to the African American listeners, especially the youth. Your thinking should be more about how big an audience is rather then to who is better. No one is better then anyone but individually some people have more entertainment talent then others. I wish I was one of them.

FYI, this is a ridiculous statement considering that according to Billboard, 70-80 percent of hip-hop music consumers ($$$) are suburban White teens and adolescents.

Also, It is not necessary to bash an entire music genre simply because it is not your personal taste.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Barbra Streisand's voice is absolutely beautiful

So was Ella Fitzgerald's

Sade's voice is amazing and uniquely different

Celine Dion's voice has a powerful control

The list can go on indefinitely and is all based on individual preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music