Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,793,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I think Slash has done better without Axl, then Axl has without Slash -sure, when one part of something is missing its not quite right - but no, Myles doesn't hold a candle to Axl IMO -
Don't forget Izzy too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM

536 posts, read 1,426,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
GNR is great and all but they have ALOT of crappy songs. You have to be a complete moron to ignore a good chuck of crap. With that stated, every band produces crap but I think GNR's gets ignored.

The last Great American Rock n Roll Band...with how music has been for the last 20 years, thats not much of an achievement. Much of the bands I listen too are current but they don't have the swagger which makes a band truly great. Thing is, the way music is now...that isn't possible anymore.

Stop living in the past. Plenty of good music out there if you aren't lazy and ignore the radio.
Fundamental difference: GnR's crap gets no air time as it is properly considered crap.

Led Zep's Fool in the Rain and that oh-oh-oh-oh-oh you don't have to go song, on the other hand, are considered good and get plenty of airtime.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,662,746 times
Quote:
has anyone listened to it? I haven't as yet.
i listened to chinese democracy when it came out, beginning to end, and hated it. since then it has grown on me a little bit... but not much.

It's not so much bad, as it is awkward. He really indulges in the melodrama.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,071,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Don't forget Izzy too!
Duff as well, Adler....not so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i listened to chinese democracy when it came out, beginning to end, and hated it. since then it has grown on me a little bit... but not much.

It's not so much bad, as it is awkward. He really indulges in the melodrama.
Sounds like Axl then
Even recently, he's been keeping concert goers waiting an hr or so (or he did here recently - not that I attended)....

I suppose I should give it a listen....

Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,662,746 times
Quote:
Even recently, he's been keeping concert goers waiting an hr or so (or he did here recently - not that I attended)....

I suppose I should give it a listen....
he left me and my friends waiting for about 3 hours in philadelphia, in 2002, before announcing a no show. it was december and we'd driven up from SC, through a snowstorm. We sat there and listened to 2 opening acts, one being a really terrible rap-rock turntable DJ that played for about 2 hours before they announced that the show was canceled. This was Philly, everybody was drinking tall boy budweisers for a few hours, and people just became enraged. The crowd mobbed the stage and soundboard and destroyed them. I reckon we got our money's worth in the end; I'd never seen a riot before.

http://www.mygnr.com/news/2002/021207_1.html

Last edited by le roi; 05-18-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,216,925 times
Quote:
What happened to The Who when they lost Keith? What happened to Led Zep when they lost John? How about when Black Sabbath lost Ozzy? It takes the WHOLE team to get it right. No one person makes or breaks a great band like that. It's a GROUP effort!
The Who released who knows how many albums over about 13 years before Keith Moon died in 1978.

Led Zeppelin released 8 albums (1 double album) over 10 years before John Bonham died in 1980.

Black Sabbath released (I think) 8 albums over nearly a decade before Ozzy Osbourne left Black Sabbath (and most people think the last two Sabbath albums with Ozzy were mediocre and their first album with Ronnie James Dio - Heaven and Hell - was an improvement)

Guns 'N Roses released essentially 4 albums (2 double albums), one of which (G 'N R Lies) probably shouldn't count (and the stop-gap, covers-only The Spaghetti Incident really doesn't count), over 4 years.

As they'd say on Sesame Street, one of the above is not like the others.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The Who released who knows how many albums over about 13 years before Keith Moon died in 1978.

Led Zeppelin released 8 albums (1 double album) over 10 years before John Bonham died in 1980.

Black Sabbath released (I think) 8 albums over nearly a decade before Ozzy Osbourne left Black Sabbath (and most people think the last two Sabbath albums with Ozzy were mediocre and their first album with Ronnie James Dio - Heaven and Hell - was an improvement)

Guns 'N Roses released essentially 4 albums (2 double albums), one of which (G 'N R Lies) probably shouldn't count (and the stop-gap, covers-only The Spaghetti Incident really doesn't count), over 4 years.

As they'd say on Sesame Street, one of the above is not like the others.
You missed the point. Roger and Pete were devastated as well as John, Jimmy and Robert. They kicked Ozzy out! Crazy coot! LOL GNR needs Axl and the rest to get it right. All Slash did/does is add expert guitar playing. That playing doesn't do you much good if the singer doesn't have any BALLS!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM

What do I mean? Scott is a decent vocalist but he is too damn skinny, moves girly like, and looks like he is geeked on smack! I like to listen but don't care much to watch him. Axl will kick your a-s-s and take a dump on your shoe! LMAO

YouTube - Velvet Revolver - Slither

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - You could be mine

Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,049,576 times
Quote:
You missed the point. Roger and Pete were devastated as well as John, Jimmy and Robert. They kicked Ozzy out! Crazy coot! LOL GNR needs Axl and the rest to get it right. All Slash did/does is add expert guitar playing. That playing doesn't do you much good if the singer doesn't have any BALLS!
So someone who spends most of his time holed up in his LA mansion with his Bo Derek "10" braids not speaking to anyone or barely leaving the house (pulling a Sly Stone basically) - ain't crazy either?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM

77,982 posts, read 60,182,177 times
GNR is ok, to put them up as the last great band tells me you should sell your trans-am, get rid of the mullet and get out of the house more.

Foo Fighters spring to mind almost instantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music