Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
On the contrary, Nirvana and the early 90's alt. rock bands saved rock and roll from flushing completely down the toilet. True, there were great rock and roll bands before Nirvana (REM, Pixies, Joy Division, Husker Du, The Replacements, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, etc....), but the flushing of mainstream corporate butt rock down the crapper was by far the best thing to happen to rock music in recent history.

But, if you want to talk big giant mainstream type rock bands, I would put OASIS over GNR as the last great rock band any day. Maybe even the White Stripes or the Strokes as well.
Worst post on this thread and there have been some bad ones. Did you decide you were gonna throw all the soft, electronic, artsy-craftsy, new-wavy 80s bands in one sentence. If so, you forgot Simple Minds, the Spoons, New Order and Depeche Mode. Holy Sh*t man, rock and roll?! Really?!

And you're deluded if you think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc were alternative. Not that I don't think they were good. The latter two at least, I love (at least the first 3 records by Peral Jam, very little else from them, Soundgarden closed up shop while they were still at their peak), Cobain and co. may be the most dated band that they still play on the radio like crazy, neck and neck with Supertramp. Foo Fighters were expired when they started, let alone now.

I do agree with your Oasis assessment though, truly one of the great ones in the last 20 years. White Stripes were very good, I wouldn't say great (too gimmicky to earn that respect). The Strokes I don't rate at all.

Still, nobody here has provided enough evidence to overturn the assertion of the OP, which I fully agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
Maybe we need to define what constitutes a great American rock n roll band? The OP stated "GNR, Last Great American Rock n Roll Band" -NOT- "BETTER band than GNR the last 25 years". My question - isn't it possible to be considered a great American rock n roll band, even if said band didn't have the impact GNR did? For the record, of the rock bands (mainstream at least) that have influenced my playing (guitar) the last 25 years, non more so than GNR. That said, I'll make a case for Pearl Jam. Note: I'm not saying they are/were BETTER than GNR (They're not), just that they should be considered a great American rock n roll band that has come since GNR.

1. US album sales - 9 studio albums total, all top 10, 4 #1's.

2. Abroad album sales away from the US marketing machine - All top 40 in EU&AUS, several #1's.

3. Longevity (no novelty act here) - BACKSPACER of 09', reached #1 18years after debut TEN.

Look, this isn't my favorite band by a long shot and album & ticket sales aren't everything but it is objective. I might think Mars Needs Women out of Gilby ND was the best rock n roll band to come around the last 25 years but I have no objective proof.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
1. REM

2. CCR

3. The Velvet Underground

4. Guided By Voices

5. The Doors

6. Love

7. Wilco

8. The Allman Brothers I will be fair even though not a huge fan. I recognize their talent.

9. The Grateful Dead

10. The Drive By Truckers

I will not budge on Phish and DMB. Absolute crappola! forgot the Replacements and Husker Du. Also the Original Sins from Bethlehem.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
Can't let a Last Great American Rock and Roll band thread go by without mentioning Aerosmith. Imho the Last Greatest American Rock and Roll band. "Still Walking the Walk, Leading the way. Signature rifts, And, with a few exceptions, Aerosmith has delivered on its promise: to make music that strikes the listener in the soul. 1970-Present

Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Can't let a Last Great American Rock and Roll band thread go by without mentioning Aerosmith. Imho the Last Greatest American Rock and Roll band. "Still Walking the Walk, Leading the way. Signature rifts, And, with a few exceptions, Aerosmith has delivered on its promise: to make music that strikes the listener in the soul. 1970-Present
Aerosmith has made any worthwhile since 1976!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Not all of us.

GNR was the REAL last rock band ever in my opinion before nirvana (the most overrated and medicore band of all time) and the rest of their ilk came and sent the rock world down the toliet.
I can *almost* feel you shaking your cane at us while typing that.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:42 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can *almost* feel you shaking your cane at us while typing that.

Because I Speak the truth here, GNR killed off hair bands way before Nerdvana did, (even though myself like hair metal).
they were anti-glam and were proud of it.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,100 times
This was an interesting thread that has really gone off on a tangent. The OP said GNR, last great AMERICAN 'r n r' band in LAST 25 years. I mean Oasis? Aren't they British or Irish or whatever? Aerosmith? CCR? Love? etc. Might be great r n r bands but I know they go back longer than 25 years as stated in the OP. I also don't buy this "I don't like em' therefore they aren't great." I can't stand Yes, but at least I can admit they must of done something right the last 40 years. Also, it doesn't matter to me what newer crap a certain band is alleged to have inspired. I mean, you don't like Green Day, blame Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry - The Who - Sex Pistols - Green Day. (over-simplification noted)

Old 05-21-2011, 11:55 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Because I Speak the truth here, GNR killed off hair bands way before Nerdvana did, (even though myself like hair metal).
they were anti-glam and were proud of it.
Bull$hit. They were a hair band just like the rest....they just were better than most.

You really leave me no choice but to kill this thread.....here goes....

guns and rose picture - Bing Images

P.S. Um, just how many women were in GnR?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Quote:
Calm down Randy. Now let's go to the crab shack and work on my list.
I'm eating at the Roadhouse. So is GNR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Hey now, Midnight Rambler and miamifloridafan don't even know there are numbers below 92 on the radio, so don't be mentioning Robert Pollard in this thread! (On a more serious note, also don't mention the mediocre stuff GBV released during their low-fi production days.)
Really, do you know about guitars and playing like THAT?

Quote:
Bull$hit. They were a hair band just like the rest....they just were better than most.

You really leave me no choice but to kill this thread.....here goes....

guns and rose picture - Bing Images

P.S. Um, just how many women were in GnR?
You are way off the mark here. Learn about some things before bashing please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music