Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM

326 posts, read 313,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Agree, great bands have existed since GNR's classic line-up was no more. However as I've said the issue with these bands is that compared to GNR none have gotten to level they did. GNR is the last band to really have that lead singer/lead guitar combo like you did during the era of the Rock Gods. IMO, there is no other combo since Slash and Axl had their fall out that have been to that level. I think part of it is that musical tastes have changed more towards R&B and hip-hop. Not that that's a bad thing, but it just means that the fan base is full of more true fans.
Everybody knows Slash is a Guitar Hero III star. Look it Mkpunk.....even has a emoticon........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,122,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
What is REAL rock?

Is Pantera not A REAL rock band?

Tool?

Mastodon?

All three of those bands GNR couldn't even come close to in lyrical content or musicianship.

Also there's

The Black Keys
The Deftones
Wolfmother
Them Crooked Vultures

You can argue on the merits of these groups vs. GNR but to say these great bands aren't REAL rock is ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning OTF View Post
Like I said...none of my radio stations even play Tool or any of those other bands. Hear a GNR at least a couple times a day. I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. You're free to disprove, but come on now, we can't change facts.

Don't you have a 2014 thread you are talking to yourself in anyways? Oh wait, you have someone else who doesn't need earplugs/muffs.

Is radio air play how you measure the quality of music? Tool isn't played on the Radio very often because their songs are to long.

And what is you major malfunction you seem to go out of you way to harass me. I don't do that to you even though I find the stuff you post repetitive and played out.

I come post here to share new music with people. I also come here to find new stuff I haven't heard before.

I'll ask you again to stop harassing me.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,788,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning OTF View Post
Everybody knows Slash is a Guitar Hero III star. Look it Mkpunk.....even has a emoticon........
which is my point. Slash is known mostly from his work from GNR and I like Black Keys, Deftones, Mastodon and Tool but they aren't mainstream acts or were at one point. The last mainstream metal acts were nu metal. As much as I like Mark Tremonti of Creed, Alter Bridge and Tremonti, none of those bands are as big as GNR. Creed was successful but not anywhere near GNR. GNR didn't just have album sales alone, they headlined concerts and festivals in STADIUMS. They were huge. No act since except for Metallica (who actually started before GNR but broke into the mainstream afterwards.) NIRVANA didn't even get to that level with their two mainstream releases (I think they would have if Kurt didn't die.) Think about it, the last metal bands to break into the mainstream have been Disturbed, Linkin Park and Evanescence and two of those evolved away from metal completely.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM

824 posts, read 1,174,314 times
Guns N Roses were the new Led Zeppelin/Aerosmith, at a time where rock was stale, GNR came and clean it up back in 1987.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 PM

3,510 posts, read 3,712,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
This thread cracks me up. A bunch of people who NEVER post in music and pick one of the best threads to get five minutes of fame. There's enough bashing in this thread to fill a football field. REAL MEN don't get man crushes BTW. We try like hell to sound like the best. It NEVER happens!
Wooooah, there's fame from posting in the music forum on City-Data? Do I need an agent? I will need to negotiate for 15 minutes of fame, though, not five .

Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,043,947 times
GNR was cool...when I was like 14.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:55 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,433,098 times
I like their rock melodies but can't stand Axel Rose's voice.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM

824 posts, read 1,174,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I like their rock melodies but can't stand Axel Rose's voice.

He can certainly sing better than most of the junk out there since the 90's

axl rose reminds me of Jimmy page.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,122,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
He can certainly sing better than most of the junk out there since the 90's

axl rose reminds me of Jimmy page.
What? In what way?

Do you mean Robert Plant?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM

411 posts, read 899,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Forget Nerdvana and all the other junk that came afterwards, this was the last truly great american rock band ever, just like DMX & Big Pun were the last truly great american rappers ever.

YouTube - Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle

this was the real hair band killer, not Nerdvana aka Nirvana.

so wrong. G&R WAS a hair band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music