Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM

18,161 posts, read 25,699,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
They would still be the same. These people were ORIGINAL!!! They were not cookie-cutter copy-cats like what we see today.
I've thought about this and thought about this and I agree with Supertrucker212. In a way Jim Morrison reminds me of Nick Romano, played by John Derek, in the 1949 movie "Knock On Any Door", which Humphrey Bogart also appears in. The one line there that I always remember is "Live fast, die young, and have a good looking corpse." If I could think of any one sentence to sum up Morrison, I believe that quote would be it- sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,044,089 times
To me, the mystery of Lennon dying so early and therefore never having a Beatles reunion is something that we all ponder as Beatles fans. But then again, the band had broken up for 10 years before his death and never got back together so what reason would they have if Lennon had not died when he did? I wonder if they had gotten back together, what songs would they end up playing? Would they just stick to Beatles stuff or would they also throw in their popular solo stuff?

I hate to say it but I think that Morrison, Hendrix and Cobain would have flamed out and been washed up. I just didn't see much evolution to their music. The Beatles evolved throughout the 60's. I think Cobain would've come to be overshadowed by Grohl and not taken well to it. Hendrix seemed to struggle for material towards the end of his life.

I would've loved to see Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye doing some shows, it would've been incredible.

Jim Croce lived such a short life, I think he would have evolved and aged wonderfully.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM

909 posts, read 1,058,249 times
I think Hendrix would be doing the Clapton/Santana type 2012 things... Crossroads Guitar Festival, etc. He was about to start working with the band Chicago at the time of his passing, so they would have stayed closer to their 1960's roots (i.e. - like their killer version of "I'm a man") instead of going so pop. There would have been no "saturday in the park" but maybe they would have been an epic blues-rock super-group instead.

Stephen Stills it turns out, played bass on the newly found and remixed (by Eddie Kramer) "lost" Hendrix song - so the path taken by CSN and sometimes Y may have been different in some way also if Jimi had lived. Would he have replaced Neil Young in CSN&Y at some point? Maybe. You just don't ever know about the things that could have happened.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,705,014 times
If Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc were still alive today, they'd probably be similar to Grace Slick...or maybe better yet, David Crosby.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,714,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Add in others like Freddy Mercury, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix. Others?
I dont think they would like what the world has become.......

Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,662,976 times
I think Jim Morrison would have kept writing poetry.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,814,062 times
They would all be collecting social security, be on medicare and some would have arthritis so forget about jumping around and maybe not even playing an instrument.

John Lennon wasn't that talented of a musician. He could still write songs for others in his old age but he would have to be paired with someone who could write music. He was more of a lyricist because the music was all McCartney as you can tell from Lennon's solo efforts. He would still be mouthy and tiresome.

Freddy Mercury could still sing because frankly, he could sing anything. I don't see him as having to be tied to any particular music, either. Of the bunch, I could see him singing solo until he died of old age. He's too much of a showman to give up the limelight. He might even do musical theater into his old age.

Janis Joplin would be just another 70 year old lady.

Jim Morrison, would have been off everyone's radar in a few years, anyway.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,511,519 times
Jim Morrison - Became a cult figure, leader of sheeple, like Charles Manson. Also like him, is now in jail.

Elvis Presley - Still working the Vegas Strip, says he'll perform in a wheechair with an oxygen tank if he has to.

Jim Croce - had a hit TV show in the 70s. Made a few movies. Had many more hits thru the 80s mostly in country, and wrote songs for other artsts. Now retired to a farm in the Midwest.

Janis Joplin - Never matched the sucsses of the 60s, her style didnt work in the 70s. Broke and living in a trailer park.

Kurt Cobain - After Nirvana imploded mid 90s, made albums with Courtney Love which bombed. Did some acting, writing, did more drugs, now resides in a mental institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music