U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Default What would Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc be like if they were alive today?

Add in others like Freddy Mercury, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix. Others?

In their own bands? Same band?

Some or all would be in their 60s, still hard living?

Consider some of that generation/culture that are still around: Robert Plant, Keith Richards, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,363,390 times
They'd probably be similar to respected veteran artists like Paul McCartney, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM

865 posts, read 764,295 times
I think Janis's voice (as most when they age) would take the biggest hit. Her vocal range was so incredible that I doubt she would be the same today in her late 60's. I bet Jimi would be in a jazz band, toning it down a bit. John would still be writing politically charged songs I feel certain. I'm thinking Jim Morrison would've got out of the music business 20 years ago, maybe gone into acting.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I think Janis's voice (as most when they age) would take the biggest hit. Her vocal range was so incredible that I doubt she would be the same today in her late 60's. I bet Jimi would be in a jazz band, toning it down a bit. John would still be writing politically charged songs I feel certain. I'm thinking Jim Morrison would've got out of the music business 20 years ago, maybe gone into acting.
It's hard to imagine what it Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix would be like with the assumption that would have had to really mellow out on the drugs and alcohol. But guys like tyler from aerosmith seem to have (else they'd probably be dead).

Just imagine if Jim Morrison or Hendrix was on one of the late night TV shows like letterman or whoever does those shows these days.

Have you seen what Jimi Page looks like these days?

Some others:

Sid Vicious and Darby Crash from the punk era.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM

13,108 posts, read 11,926,945 times
John would be plenty busy. There were fundamental differences in our country then, but nothing like there is now. Nothing. But you could bet he would be out front, trying to make a difference, no matter what the issue.

I agree with swampfoxer on Hendrix. He was such an innovator in his day it amazes me what he accomplished then. And the amount of material that has been released since his death? Sheesh! But yea, I can see him doing jazz.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,409,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
John would be plenty busy. There were fundamental differences in our country then, but nothing like there is now. Nothing. But you could bet he would be out front, trying to make a difference, no matter what the issue.

I agree with swampfoxer on Hendrix. He was such an innovator in his day it amazes me what he accomplished then. And the amount of material that has been released since his death? Sheesh! But yea, I can see him doing jazz.
Yeah, right.
Like Dylan.
Aged Jesus freaks with lousey Christmas albums.
The 60s are over.
The music died.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,953,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Add in others like Freddy Mercury, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix. Others?

In their own bands? Same band?

Some or all would be in their 60s, still hard living?

Consider some of that generation/culture that are still around: Robert Plant, Keith Richards, for example.
I think John Lennon would be a bigger humanitarian than Bono and not be touring as much. He'll be a producer, collaborator, songwriter. Occasional CD every 10 years.

Jimi, an older Lenny Kravitz. I think he'd lean toward more blues now. He'd be all for bridging the gap between blacks and whites.

Freddy Mercury will still be rocking it out, yet a vocal supporter of the LGBT community.

Janis would probably come out as a lesbian and support women's rights. She'd be more bluesy as well.

Jim Morrison. I really can't see him as a humanitarian, but I think he'd be still barely up and around alomst like Keith Richards. I don't know what he'd do out side of musci except maybe acting. I don't see him as much of a humanitarian or anythinig.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM
JPD

7,729 posts, read 7,873,979 times
It's hard to say what Hendrix would be doing today, because what we know of music today is something that probably wouldn't exist had he lived even a few more years. The entire pop/rock/jazz musical landscpae would probably be very different.

Look how much Hendrix changed guitar playing in only four years as a pop star, and look at how many different directions he was trying to go in during his final year or two. He definitely would have worked with Miles Davis, and probably would have been inspired by or worked with John McLaughlin in Mahavishnu or Shakti.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM

8,860 posts, read 10,840,982 times
What would Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc be like if they were alive today?

They'd be terrified, while frantically kicking and stratching on the door of their casket.

Morrison probably would have dropped out of the music scene entirely. Janis probably would have lost her chops, and Jimi would probably still be rocking. Lennon and Mercury, not sure. Freddie could sing his ass off, so he'd probably still be at it, Lennon would probably have gone the way of Dylan.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,821,570 times
Lennon wouldn't ever have become a Jesus freak. I don't think Janis' voice would have lived much longer even if she had. She was too hard on it.

When Hendrix died, his next planned project was to collaborate with Miles Davis on a jazz-fusion album! I would love to have heard that. I think Mitch Mitchell of the Experience was a great drummer, too. He had been a jazz drummer, and it showed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music