Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Their 6 studio albums were all released during my high school years. Couldn't have planned that any better if I had tried. Was certainly saddened when I learned of Jim's death. It was on a summer day at the lake with family and friends when we heard the news. I still enjoy their music a lot - most of which has held up very well.

Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore went on to record two more albums. Neither were remarkable sellers. They were the same three musicians who backed Morisson, but without him, that one presence, they just didn't pack the same punch.

A decade later I read No One Here Gets Out Alive, which was a fair to middlin' bio. I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for more info on Jim's life and the band. It does cover a lot of ground. And, of course, there's the Oliver Stone film. When it came out I was managing a movie house and usually folks would leave most shows as soon as the credits rolled, but for this one, almost everyone stayed just to hear that great soundtrack. People were actually dancing in the aisles.

Thank you Doors. And thank you Jim Morrison.
Yeah, the closing credits were so awesome which featured L.A. Woman/Roadhouse Blues..soo cool...as a very young kid I remember my sister running out of the house during a summer day screaming that Jim Morrison had died-with Light my Fire blasting on the radio..thats when I became I doors fan, Light my Fire mesmerized me, .. I instantly became a fan of the doors for life..let alone music on the radio lol..and yeah I had to buy "No one here gets out alive" when it came out..my addiction will never end!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
If he wasn't a popular rock star, he'd be just another substance abusing alcoholic, uncivilized low life risking the safety (drunk in public, risk of violence, risk of drunk driving) of the general public and most likely a financial burden on society and someone who lets his family and loved ones down.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If he wasn't a popular rock star, he'd be just another substance abusing alcoholic, uncivilized low life risking the safety (drunk in public, risk of violence, risk of drunk driving) of the general public and most likely a financial burden on society and someone who lets his family and loved ones down.
he was a ROCKSTAR..and was loved by many based on his artistic achievements, ..stardom comes with a heavy price unfortuntely and the times of the 60's, the culture, his youth etc. ..I am willing to bet that I would rather live his life, than your life..

Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
.I am willing to bet that I would rather live his life, than your life..
I doubt it. He wasn't happy and he died young. You want that?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I doubt it. He wasn't happy and he died young. You want that?

well you happy fart..I really wouldnt know what his state of mind was when he died..u have evidence?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
well you happy fart..I really wouldnt know what his state of mind was when he died..u have evidence?

No, just a hunch from reading NOHGOA, and seeing "The Doors", and reading about the general state of mind of 99% of alcoholics and drug addicts.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
No, just a hunch from reading NOHGOA, and seeing "The Doors", and reading about the general state of mind of 99% of alcoholics and drug addicts.
Charles, this was the sixties, no other time like this before..there was a radical shift in culture like never before seen ..he was young..suddenly a rockstar, this young culture was filled with drugs and anti-establishment atittudes and questioning authority, he was part of this, he made art, which captured the masses..he just got caught up in the rockstar lifestyle, which is seen to this day..he contributed way more to society than u will ever will, especially on this forums

Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Their 6 studio albums were all released during my high school years. Couldn't have planned that any better if I had tried. Was certainly saddened when I learned of Jim's death. It was on a summer day at the lake with family and friends when we heard the news. I still enjoy their music a lot - most of which has held up very well.

Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore went on to record two more albums. Neither were remarkable sellers. They were the same three musicians who backed Morisson, but without him, that one presence, they just didn't pack the same punch.

A decade later I read No One Here Gets Out Alive, which was a fair to middlin' bio. I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for more info on Jim's life and the band. It does cover a lot of ground. And, of course, there's the Oliver Stone film. When it came out I was managing a movie house and usually folks would leave most shows as soon as the credits rolled, but for this one, almost everyone stayed just to hear that great soundtrack. People were actually dancing in the aisles.

Thank you Doors. And thank you Jim Morrison.
Solid post by Square Peg as always!

SP makes a good point about the music holding up well. When L.A. Woman was released, there wasn't a lot of albums where all the songs off the lp would be played from time to time on FM radio. L.A. Woman was one of those lp's.

Yes, unfortunately Other Voices and Full Circle (their '71 and '72 lp's) sadly hit the $1.99 cutout bin maybe a year after release. I give Densmore, Krieger, and Manzarek props to at least to try and keep it going but it was pretty evident that the end was coming. Manzarek later released a couple lp's on Mercury in the early 70's that are mildly collectible today. Robbie Krieger issued one as well. Robbie and John Densmore formed a band called the Butts band which released a couple lp's on the Blue Thumb label in the middle 70's.

What are more than "mildly collectible" though are their original pressings from those first 6 lp's, particularly mono pressings from their first three lp's. One item that is really an "in demand" item is the 45 picture sleeve to "Break On Through (To The Other Side") which actually was released just before their classic "Light My Fire" single.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-03-2011 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
A report (with video) from the events at Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris, on July 3:
Pilgrims mark 40th anniversary of Jim Morrison

Last edited by Visvaldis; 07-04-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Charles, this was the sixties, no other time like this before..there was a radical shift in culture like never before seen ..he was young..suddenly a rockstar, this young culture was filled with drugs and anti-establishment atittudes and questioning authority, he was part of this, he made art, which captured the masses..he just got caught up in the rockstar lifestyle, which is seen to this day..he contributed way more to society than u will ever will, especially on this forums
I think you missed the "if he wasn't a rock star" part of my post.

Also, "getting caught up in the lifestyle" is no excuse to be unhealthy.

Finally, there were and are plenty of musicians who don't (didn't) abuse alcohol and drugs and didn't use "getting caught up in the lifestyle" as an excuse. He was an alcoholic - rock star or not. Plenty of rock stars weren't alcoholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music