U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,794,404 times

Advertisements

These three, all with lyrics...

‪Pick Yourself Up (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Tangerine (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Look Of Love (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM

‪You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Come Rain Or Come Shine (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪River Stay Away From My Door (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM

‪Just One Of Those Things (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Let's Fall In Love (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

‪When I Take My Sugar To Tea (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM

‪Frank Sinatra - You And The Night And The Music (Reprise 1960)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank Sinatra - You And Me (We Wanted It All) [Reprise® Recordings 1979]‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank SINATRA - A Day In The Life Of A Fool‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,075,398 times

‪Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,853,692 times

‪Strangers in The Night - Frank Sinatra‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank SINATRA - Summer Wind (Reprise® Recordings 1968)‬‏ - YouTube

Mostly I'm not a big Sinatra person though, not sure why as it's an era of music I like.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 PM

7,064 posts, read 3,819,228 times
Default We could all use a little luck these days!

[SIZE=2]
‪Frank Sinatra luck be a lady‬‏ - YouTube
[/SIZE]

Old 08-06-2011, 01:45 AM

9,932 posts, read 7,822,278 times
I heard you Mars! I'm having a bad day that has lasted a week now.

~The Sauce

Fly me to the moon
Let me swing among the stars
Let me see what life is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars

‪Bellagio Fountains - Frank Sinatra Fly Me To The Moon‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank Sinatra fly me to the moon‬‏ - YouTube

‪The Lady is a Tramp - Frank Sinatra‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 AM

10,457 posts, read 4,075,398 times
Frank was one of if not the first artist to self produce. He is still popular today I think because he not only was a great singer but also a great actor and a great producer. He also had great musical instincts.

‪Frank Sinatra - The Best Is Yet To Come (Original)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank SINATRA - Drinking Again (Reprise 67)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Frank Sinatra & Count Basie - I Won't Dance (Reprise 1962)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Frank was one of if not the first artist to self produce. He is still popular today I think because he not only was a great singer but also a great actor and a great producer. He also had great musical instincts.
Agreed. The great ones, really in any walk of life, have a lot of things goin' for them. For all his handspeed and footspeed and ring smarts, how far would Ali have gotten if he didn't have the chin that he had?

As far as the acting, the acting on stage, or even in a studio the way Frank interpreted the lyric, is something that gets overlooked because of his voice so far at the forefront. I heard a 1981 interview the other day, shared by Christian McBride, the wonderful jazz bassist, where Frank says for him it was always the words that guided him, that the music was only a backdrop. I'll try to find that link.

Many have theorized on what makes the great ones great; and Frank has not been spared. But when they asked Bing Crosby what it was that made Sinatra so great, Bing said simply, "Oh, it's his taste, he's got great taste."

I could be wrong about the exact years, but Frank only owned his Reprise label from about 1960 to 1967 or 8. Ring-ding-ding was his first album on that label. After 1968 he sold it to Warner Bros. and never had to worry about money again. But the truth is, I'd call it from about the time he did Songs for Swingin' Lovers, was when everything changed for Frank. That album he did on Capitol, that was arranged by Nelson Riddle, I think gave him the clout to call his own shots in the studio. I'm sure he had to battle with Capitol beyond this, as far as choice of song and arranger, but I'd bet he mostly won. He was selling records for them. He never forgave Mitch Miller and the Columbia people for leading his career down the wrong path.

Haven't been able to find that interview yet. It was 1981, with Arlene Francis, I believe on New York's WOR-- some highlights I remember, Frank citing Billie Holiday and Mabel Mercer as two of his biggest influences; and his telling how when he'd recently run into Miles Davis, a Sinatra devotee, Miles told him that when he was ready to record a tune that Sinatra had done, he'd listen to Frank's version first so he could better understand the lyric ... Frank's phrasing was his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music