Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I've always had 3 songs that make my eyes tear, every single time, and only one of them would be considered a sad song.

1. I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor): I guess it's the strength through surviving pain theme. Not sure, but whenever I hear it, I don't necessarily feel sad, but my eyes will involuntarily tear-up.

2. Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin): Sure it's a sad song, but I'm not a father, or a son. I have a great Dad, never an absentee father. So why the heck does this song ALWAYS make me cry? No idea.

3. Come Dancing (The Kinks): Okay, I've analyzed this and analyzed this, and I don't get it. But when it gets to the part where the sister is grown up, but would love to have the chance to go dancing again like when she was a teenager, I bawl. Seriously. I don't even have to play the song; I can just sing it in the shower (badly), but when I get to that verse, my voice quivers and I cry. I've never particularly enjoyed dancing, have no fond memories of dancing. I have a sister, but she could dance whenever she feels like it, and nothing about that moves me. It's weird. The only theme I can think of is that I am very nostalgic about the past, places that aren't around anymore, things from the past that aren't there anymore, childhood memories, etc. So maybe it's more about the dance hall getting torn down?

Anyway, what songs make you cry, every single time you hear them? Are they actual sad songs or freak-experiences like mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I WIll Survive

is a very powerful song, at least IMO. it is so good at recreating the year 1979, it''s like if i want to go back to that year it's I WIll Survive, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Reunited, Heaven Knows, RIng My bell, Love you Inside Out, Tragedy that does the trick, the list is endless...

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM

449 posts, read 516,647 times
Bob Carlisle - Butterfly Kisses

‪Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle‬‏ - YouTube

I don't like country, And I'm not even a daddy's girl!!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM

449 posts, read 516,647 times
Ever since I saw this on MTV awards or something just as lame,this song makes me tear up. It is a sad song.. But come on, crying with Puff Daddy?! Pffft. In my defense, at least Sting is in this version. I sing like Faith Evans when I listen.

Puff Daddy - I'll be Missing you ft. Faith Evans and Sting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3hQ6Ypd0GY

Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Nore View Post
Ever since I saw this on MTV awards or something just as lame,this song makes me tear up. It is a sad song.. But come on, crying with Puff Daddy?! Pffft. In my defense, at least Sting is in this version. I sing like Faith Evans when I listen.

Puff Daddy - I'll be Missing you ft. Faith Evans and Sting

‪Puff Daddy Ft Sting - Every Breath I'll Be Missing
haha

Okay, if we're admitting things.. I might have, once, teared up at Space Oddity by Bowie...

Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,405 times
Default comin' home

Watch. listen. cry.

‪Comin' Home- City and Colour‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,522 times
http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=auFeznMvr3M this one reminds me of my husbands cousin who was killed in about 1978 Burger Chef Murders in Indpls In it was popular at the time

Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,522 times

‪Firefall - Strange Way‬‏ - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,228,263 times
I'm not sure why, but, from the first time I heard this song, it has made me cry. Of course, a lot of non-sad Irish songs can do that, but I'm confused as to why this one brings on the tears:

Vic Smith sings "The Spinning Wheel" - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross

My speakers are currently not hooked up so I hope this is okay.

Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music