Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,713,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Woodstock can never be replicated.
You can't manufacture something like that.
But there have been, and are still some great music fests going on out there.
It did not begin and end with Woodstock.

I saw Santana in 1970 in a small, sweaty hall in Denver, and they were cookin.'
Country Joe and the Fish were there as well.
Still have the ticket stub.
Gimme an F!
I disagree. You CAN replicate it. All you have to do is the following:

1. Go out and find a farmer willing to let you and a half million others camp out in his field for 4 days.
2. Sell tickets by advertising the following:
4 days in a hot muddy field with 500,000 other people! Lots of dope! Good music that you won't really hear because of the lousy PA system! Bathrooms and food in short supply and expensive! No bottled water but you can drink for free out of some hoses! Overdoses! fights! trash all over the place!
3. Open the gates! And tell those wiothout tickets just to push the fence down and come in for FREE!

As far as other music fest, I have been to a few- such as Summerfest in Wisconsin and they were ALL better than Woodstock was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:44 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,906,978 times
I remember some of our first cars only had AM radio. What year did cars start having FM?

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

1. Go out and find a farmer willing to let you and a half million others camp out in his field for 4 days.
4 days in a hot muddy field with 500,000 other people! Lots of dope! Good music that you won't really hear because of the lousy PA system! Bathrooms and food in short supply and expensive! No bottled water but you can drink for free out of some hoses! Overdoses! fights! trash all over the place!
3. Open the gates! And tell those wiothout tickets just to push the fence down and come in for FREE!

As far as other music fest, I have been to a few- such as Summerfest in Wisconsin and they were ALL better than Woodstock was!
Geez I dont remember any fights. Us Hippys were all about peace and love, unlike today's society. And there was no such thing as bottled water in 1969.

The things you think are bad was what made it special. There were no fights and no pigs to get in our way by violating our human rights like they do today. What few pigs were there shared joints with the crowd.

No one cried about any discomforts. Try that today with this spoiled young thugs who have everything.

There was nothing better then Woodstock despite what you and that other guy said.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
I remember some of our first cars only had AM radio. What year did cars start having FM?
I seem to remember my first FM radio in about 72 maybe 73?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,906,978 times
Thanks desertsun41!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Geez I dont remember any fights. Us Hippys were all about peace and love, unlike today's society. And there was no such thing as bottled water in 1969.

The things you think are bad was what made it special. There were no fights and no pigs to get in our way by violating our human rights like they do today. What few pigs were there shared joints with the crowd.

No one cried about any discomforts. Try that today with this spoiled young thugs who have everything.

There was nothing better then Woodstock despite what you and that other guy said.
I saw 2 fights but, to the credit of the crowd, both were quickly broken up. And yes, I saw more than one short tempered person by Sunday. I will say for the most part though, considering the conditions, most folks were nice. But all it takes is a few aholes.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I seem to remember my first FM radio in about 72 maybe 73?
That is about right. FM was around before then but it played mainly classical and "elevator" stuff. Nobody listened to it- in fact many FM licenses were not even granted for years because nobody wanted them.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
I have seen several of the acts that were at Woodstock post Woodstock. The ones that I didn't really get to see at Woodstock. I have seen Crosby, Stills and Nash (without Young), Creedence, Santana, The Who, Jefferson Starship (not the Airplane) and Mountain. Was supposed to see Sly and the Family Stone but it got cancelled and I never got to see them again. I would have liked to see Hendrix- I have all his albums- but never got to see him either. He played Woodstock but we had already left finally at like midnight Sunday and I don't think he played until sometime Monday.
I too saw all those bands, and Neil Young many times, but I *turned down* the once chance I ever had to see Hendrix. (long story.)
Quote:

Don't forget, a baby has to be born, too, and Pete Townshend has to hustle Abbie Hoffman off the stage.
Quote:
There are lots of good music festivals out there. Unless a hurricane interferes, I'll be at the Voodoo Experience in New Orleans on Halloween weekend.
Concert promoters have figured out a few practical details in 40 years.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM

18,196 posts, read 25,763,135 times
KevK is right about fm radio. When I grew up in Denver KLZ-fm was their first rock station and that didn't happen until 1968, and part of their format was pop music (Sinatra, Streisand, etc.) . I believe there was maybe two other stations;one easy listening and one classical.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 AM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
I think what is most important to me about Woodstock is it was not directed at people who like top forty or mainstream radio . Sly and the family stone was the only group to my knowledge that had a billboard hit that year or previous years. Someone asked were where the Doors, they were a top forty band. by the middle seventies only Janis J. and Joan B. had a hit on the top forty. No business man today would risk a festival on so many bands who were not even on main stream radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music