Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,681,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Wow, I forgot all about FM playing rock into the night and their not being too many stations that played rock. (remember when the tv turned off at midnight, and on the weekend after the movie that began at 11:30 pm). What is funny is that our music did not die, the young still listen to it now.
Interesting huh? I went into Spencer Gifts and they still sell shirts with our rock bands on them- Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Don't forget advertising stuffed in between the music now, can't really remember that even on AM radio back then. Life was just a little bit simple then, can't say I regret living when I did, everything is so high tech now I can't even amagine what the next 20 years will bring.

Remember elephant bells? How about concerts that you were able to still have a bit of paycheck left over after buying your ticket? And lets not forget the "flick the bic" during encore songs

One day I sat with my son and listed all the great groups and singers I have seen and he was so surprised. He is my one that listens to old rock, actually took a few of my old cd's
Concerts back then were $5 in advance and $6 at the door general admission. You went down to the the box office or to the local head shop to get your tickets. No Ticketmaster, no seats on the arena floor- that was for people that wanted to sit on the floor or stand. That all changed when The Who played in Cincinatti and a bunch of people got trampled to death.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,895,390 times
KevK-What did your nineteen year old cousin think about the art fair at the farm? Just curious. I didn't go. I was 9.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah, I remember ... I was 10 and my mom wouldn't let me go!

I have a good mom.
Mine would not have either if they knew what it was. But "music and arts fair" sounds so innocent!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturluvr View Post
I Too now am a Quote un Quote Born Again Christian. In fact I was in the army at the time of Woodstock. I was suppost to go to Nam but dident,I believe it was God intervening in my life !!
But if I would have had the chance,I would have went to Woodstock in a
heartbeat !
At the time I would not have considered it promiscuous at all !
It was just young people enjoying and trying to find them selves !!!
It was definitely better then the so called Adults who were trying to run the
country!!
And continuing an unnessesary War!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the shooting of unarmed young people,who were just trying to fulfill
there Constitutional rights of Free Speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I woukd rather go to Woodstock than Veitnam but I would rather not go to either!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
KevK-What did your nineteen year old cousin think about the art fair at the farm? Just curious. I didn't go. I was 9.
She griped the whole damn time we were there and then went home to Long Island and told everybody how much she loved it! The boyfriend on the other hand had a decent time - I think he was smoking weed but had the decency not to do it in front of us kids.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
Woodstock had about 500,000 poeple in attendance. I must've met 300,000 who claimed to have been there. I even knew a girl who claimed to be born there. There are probably a few million people who claim to have been there.
I don't usually tell anybody I was there unless the subject is brought up by somebody else. First because I think it is way overblown and second because I had a crappy time there and third because we tossed the ticket stubs and I wish to Gawd we would have kept them. After it was over, nobody knew it was going to be a historical cultural event. We were just glad to finally get out of there.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I'm watching 'Woodstock', the documentary now...I wasn't there but wow, what a time and place to be; what a festival, the ones they have nowadays can't possible be like that one...
Thank God!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Desertsun41 is right regarding Yasgur. A while back this was discussed on the great debates forum. Max Yasgur had neighbor after neighbor sue him in Sullivan County court for alleged damages done to their property after the Woodstock event. What money he made off the event was spent on legal fees. He was just 53 years old when he died.

A Bethel Woods Center of the Arts was built on that property where Woodstock was held.
I am surprised anything ever grew on that piece of land again! But on the other hand, it was well fertilized!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Woodstock can never be replicated.
You can't manufacture something like that.
But there have been, and are still some great music fests going on out there.
It did not begin and end with Woodstock.

I saw Santana in 1970 in a small, sweaty hall in Denver, and they were cookin.'
Country Joe and the Fish were there as well.
Still have the ticket stub.
Gimme an F!
I have seen several of the acts that were at Woodstock post Woodstock. The ones that I didn't really get to see at Woodstock. I have seen Crosby, Stills and Nash (without Young), Creedence, Santana, The Who, Jefferson Starship (not the Airplane) and Mountain. Was supposed to see Sly and the Family Stone but it got cancelled and I never got to see them again. I would have liked to see Hendrix- I have all his albums- but never got to see him either. He played Woodstock but we had already left finally at like midnight Sunday and I don't think he played until sometime Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music