Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,621 times

Advertisements

I grew up listening to Garth Brooks, George Strait, Mark Chesnutt ect. Im 25 now... I tuned it on to CMT the other day and saw Jason Aldeans New single, it was Country RAP... this crap sells? What happen to Garth and Chesnutt? Is garth too afraid to jump back in the scene because his style wouldnt work in today Country music scene?

I know alot of people hated Garth in the 90's... but alot of his singles were "Country" and Chesnutt too. now we have...

Jason Aldean, Taylor Swift, The Band Perry, and Rascal Flatts?

My how it has changed so much. anyone feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
A lot of the 90's stuff was suspect as well, but the "Country" of today is an absolute embarassment.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
I'm not a fan of country music (yet I agree that today's is worse) I dolike Alt-country (Wilco, Old 97s, Band of Horses, Okkervil River,etc.)

Check out this other thread and you may like what you hear

Not quite country

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I'm not a fan of country music (yet I agree that today's is worse) I dolike Alt-country (Wilco, Old 97s, Band of Horses, Okkervil River,etc.)

Check out this other thread and you may like what you hear

Not quite country

Wilco is no longer an alt-country band. They have branched out into a very experimental progressive territory. The other bands mentioned fit the bill for sure. Old 97's recently came out with Grand Theatre Volume 2. Another solid countrified rock effort by them.

I have to admit to liking Garth Brooks friends In Low Places and Thunder Rd. Also Clint Back Better Man and Killing Time. Those were great tunes from the 90's. If one of these so called "Country" stations played those songs the 26 year old Soccer Moms shopping at Wal Mart would be clueless.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Are you kidding? Garth Brooks? I grew up listening to Webb Pierce, Red Foley and Kitty Wells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKuTeDUPljQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Wqb...eature=related

The biggest change probably came when The Eagles released a song that was officially classified as country, in 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44A9iDQNrss

The other big change was then Line Dancing came to country music. Line Dancing had the same effect on country music that Disco had on Pop.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I grew up listening to Garth Brooks, George Strait, Mark Chesnutt ect. Im 25 now... I tuned it on to CMT the other day and saw Jason Aldeans New single, it was Country RAP... this crap sells? What happen to Garth and Chesnutt? Is garth too afraid to jump back in the scene because his style wouldnt work in today Country music scene?

I know alot of people hated Garth in the 90's... but alot of his singles were "Country" and Chesnutt too. now we have...

Jason Aldean, Taylor Swift, The Band Perry, and Rascal Flatts?

My how it has changed so much. anyone feel the same?
That's exactly the reaction the generation before Garth, etc,had towards his "new" country music.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM

When women on dating sites claim to like country music, I usually call them on it asking about Steve Earle or Loretta Lynn. I scare them off, which is fine by me.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Like any type of musical genre, Country music has simply changed with the times in order to appease its changing--and increasingly younger--demographic.
Like Loose Cannon said, County really begin to change in the early 90's. And ironically, Garth Brooks--who was mentioned in the OP--was one of the "New Pop Country" artists who helped poineer that change, what with his smoke and light shows in concert. Younger people began listening to country more and more as some of the newer artists, like Keith Urban and Brad Paisley and Rascall Flatts and Shania Twain incorporated rock and pop elements into their music. This in turn brought aboard more young listeners, which, again, in turn, grabbed MORE youngsters to Country.
Thus, you had this whole viscious circle thing going on, which helped foster in artists like we have today who's music bears precious little semblance to the country of old.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
When women on dating sites claim to like country music, I usually call them on it asking about Steve Earle or Loretta Lynn. I scare them off, which is fine by me.
That's funny! I wanted to rep you. Throw Wanda Jackson in that mix.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Well it's just the same 'ol same 'ol. Times are changing and Music follows it. I love a wide variety of music and that's good. I grew up listening to the old timers and now the next generations. CM is fine !

The Highwaymen - Highwayman - YouTube

Alabama Mountain Music Track 5 Green River - YouTube

John Conlee - Back Side of Thirty - YouTube

Rascal Flatts - Take Me There - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music