Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,885,608 times

Advertisements

One cassette that saw a lot of heavy useage was this one. I know a bunch of guys who blew speakers, wore out players and the cassette itself starting, stopping and rewinding the intro. Man, that's TOUGH with a capital T!

Whitesnake - Still of the Night - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
For awhile in the late 80s, I lived about 45 minutes from work. Every time I bought a new album, I'd record it on cassette, and listen to it on the car deck to and from work. Great way to get acquainted with a new release. The only thing I didn't (and still don't) like about records is their lack of portability.

My latest car has a CD player and no tape deck, so I took all my mixes and recorded them onto CD. At least now I can leave them in the car on a hot day and not come back to warped plastic goo ...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
I found a whole bag of old demo tapes in the basement today.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
I have Cassette tapes with my younger cousins and myself doing some really strange recorings.
We pulled some out at a get together about 5 years ago.. we are all in our 30's and 40's now and we were rolling at the stuff we were doing..

I do have around 150 LP's ranging from the 70's to the late 80's and my Mom has a HUGE collection of 45's.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I still have 45 & 78 vinyls ...
reel to reel tapes from the 1960's ...
8 tracks and of course cassettes ...
but I don't have a gramophone.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM

240 posts, read 420,135 times
I didn't get my first CD player and CD's until 1992 or 1993 (I know it was either on my 16th birthday or 17th). My first CD was Peter Frampton Comes Alive album! LOL! I had a cousin, in California, who introduced me to Peter Frampton music. LOL!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM

2,817 posts, read 1,885,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna76 View Post
I didn't get my first CD player and CD's until 1992 or 1993 (I know it was either on my 16th birthday or 17th). My first CD was Peter Frampton Comes Alive album! LOL! I had a cousin, in California, who introduced me to Peter Frampton music. LOL!
That was a good one for starters. It's a classic. That seems to be the magic era for most of the people I know. I don't think I even saw one actually being played until around that time. The stores all sold them, but no one I knew had a way to play them. Besides that, cassettes were buttloads cheaper and that alone was why many stayed with them. Those very early CDs sounded like crap anyway. I accidently got hold of a original, non remastered Van Halen CD. It was QU812. It didn't play loud like the newer ones and sounded thin. I have since replaced it with a remastered version that sounds ten times better. That period '88-90 maybe '91ish CDs stunk! LOL

Peter Frampton - Do you feel like we do Part 1 - YouTube

Peter Frampton - Do you feel like we do Part 2 - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
BE PROUD, TAPEHEADS! Cassettes rock n roll just fine. I own a record store and believe, me plenty of people still want cassettes. For some reason, they usually feel the need to explain to me why they are buying it, "I still have tape in the car" or "I cant find it on CD", kind of like they are ashamed a lttle to be buying one. I do also get lots of tape snobs who sneer and say "Do people still buy TAPES?", they get a jovial or snide response depending on my mood. On the other hand there are lots of hard core tape collecters, surprisingly many are rather young. Personally, I have a modest collection of OOP titles and personal favorites I keep to listen to in the car (when my stereo is working).

Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Sheesh Casettes were worse than 4 track and 8 track tapes. Yet they continued to equip autos for years with the obsolete junk. Guess they were trying to empty all the warehouses full of them...

On the other hand Camaros will never die believe me I know!
My Avalon is so old the music system boasts a CD player AND a cassette player. Lol. So yes, I do still have tapes....

Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
My Avalon is so old the music system boasts a CD player AND a cassette player. Lol. So yes, I do still have tapes....
I think my Suburban has a cassette player...I've never used it. I have tons of CD's and MP3's.. Computer if loaded for bear. I never got into cassette's much. My old 8 tracks went out when the boys scraped out my old Zenith Allegro Quadraphonic Stereo... We bought when first got married. Really nice cabinets four full sets nice sized speakers. Last of my 8 track tapes were in it deteriorated 45's gone long ago.

Had the Doors, Steppenwolf, Ventures, and a few other 8 tracks late 60's and early 70's. Radio was all I really needed early 70's it had it all!

It's the little rubber wheels and things that don't last in the cassettes or players for that matter.

P.S. I won't provide a sampling of great 70's music as it would take much bandwidth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music