Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'll admit it did take me a while to get used to the change when Gabriel left and their direction changed. But after several listenings I was won over by Invisible Touch, it does have a lot of good material on it. It just saddens me a bit about Gabriel's recollections about that portion of his earlier career, kind of like wanting to dismiss that era altogether. I might be wrong about that assessment, I wish I was anyway.
I think Gabriel deep down is bitter Collins had more commercial success both with Genesis and as a Solo act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:27 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Genesis is my favorite band, and "Selling England by The Pound" is my favorite album of all time. "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is my second-favorite Genesis album with Peter Gabriel as the vocalist. My favorite Phil Collins Genesis albums are "Trick of the Tail" and "ABACAB."

I don't know how anyone could say that the band was terrible with Phil Collins at the helm. To me, Genesis' biggest strengths were their versatility, excellent musicianship, and top-notch songwriting. All of these qualities remained in the band in every incarnation of the group (well, except maybe on "Calling All Stations," but let's pretend that album never existed).

Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
. . . It just saddens me a bit about Gabriel's recollections about that portion of his earlier career, kind of like wanting to dismiss that era altogether. I might be wrong about that assessment, I wish I was anyway.
Isn't that funny? It really bugs me when an artist comes out and says they hated a song or an album - it always seems to be my favorite. And then I feel, hmmm, a bit embarrassed to have liked it - I mean, if the person that wrote it thinks it's crap . . .

I loved Al Stewart, and his "Modern Times" is still one of my favorite albums. He said in an interview that he really didn't like the song "Not the One" - I love that song!!!! Doesn't stop me from loving them, but aw, don't tell us these things!

Back to Genesis. My younger brother was a huge early Genesis fan, and he sort of pushed them on me too heavily, to the point that it became annoying, and I just didn't really like the Gabriel stuff. He played "Lamb Lies Down" over and over and over and over and over, I can still hear it, hear him singing "on Bro-ah-ahd-way!!!!!!" Of course, I did the same thing with my music, but that's OK.

But I really, really love A Trick of the Tail. I love Phil Collins' voice and the songs on that album are so wonderful, the title song is such a great, visual story, "Ripples" is lovely, "Entangled," "Mad Man Moon" . . . great album.

I bought "Wind and Wuthering," but didn't like it much, liked a lot of "Genesis", especially "Home by the Sea," but as they got more popular, I liked them less and less. I saw them in concert at the Forum in L.A., but our seats were directly behind the stage, and the sound distortion was terrible, not my favorite concert.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Bill Withers - Lean On Me [with lyrics] - YouTube

My friend is in trouble. I wish I could be there right now. Than god se has someone else to take care of her ....

Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Here's something I always wondered: how come King Crimson and Pink Floyd are the only progressive rock bands that are "safe" for hipsters to like while Genesis is largely ignored? Is it because Genesis' legacy is "tarnished" by their 80's - 90's pop output?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Isn't that funny? It really bugs me when an artist comes out and says they hated a song or an album - it always seems to be my favorite. And then I feel, hmmm, a bit embarrassed to have liked it - I mean, if the person that wrote it thinks it's crap . . .

I loved Al Stewart, and his "Modern Times" is still one of my favorite albums. He said in an interview that he really didn't like the song "Not the One" - I love that song!!!! Doesn't stop me from loving them, but aw, don't tell us these things!

Back to Genesis. My younger brother was a huge early Genesis fan, and he sort of pushed them on me too heavily, to the point that it became annoying, and I just didn't really like the Gabriel stuff. He played "Lamb Lies Down" over and over and over and over and over, I can still hear it, hear him singing "on Bro-ah-ahd-way!!!!!!" Of course, I did the same thing with my music, but that's OK.

But I really, really love A Trick of the Tail. I love Phil Collins' voice and the songs on that album are so wonderful, the title song is such a great, visual story, "Ripples" is lovely, "Entangled," "Mad Man Moon" . . . great album.

I bought "Wind and Wuthering," but didn't like it much, liked a lot of "Genesis", especially "Home by the Sea," but as they got more popular, I liked them less and less. I saw them in concert at the Forum in L.A., but our seats were directly behind the stage, and the sound distortion was terrible, not my favorite concert.
Trick of the Tail was a GREAT DEBUT for Phil on Vocals. I agree, they lost their way a bit with Wind and Wuthering along with And then there were three. That "Follow You Follow Me" was their first attempt at a pop hit IMO. Even before Duke which featured pop friendly "Misunderstanding." I still stand by Duke as my favorite. Maybe because it was far superior to the two late 70's releases previously mentioned.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Here's something I always wondered: how come King Crimson and Pink Floyd are the only progressive rock bands that are "safe" for hipsters to like while Genesis is largely ignored? Is it because Genesis' legacy is "tarnished" by their 80's - 90's pop output?
Comes down to age IMO. I'm 40 and dig the "Duke" and "Abacab" transitional era the best. Those younger probably feel the Invisible Touch album is their best.

Maybe Hipsters dig Floyd because you get a secondhand stone at a Floyd show. Saw Floyd in 1987 at East Rutherford on Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour. I drank but never was a pothead. EVERYONE but me was smoking at that show. Most of the Genesis potheads were the old schoolers that grew up on the Prog Era of the 70's. Guys 10 years older than me told me they smoked to that stuff in the 70's.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Trick of the Tail was a GREAT DEBUT for Phil on Vocals. I agree, they lost their way a bit with Wind and Wuthering along with And then there were three. That "Follow You Follow Me" was their first attempt at a pop hit IMO. Even before Duke which featured pop friendly "Misunderstanding." I still stand by Duke as my favorite. Maybe because it was far superior to the two late 70's releases previously mentioned.
I don't care if "Follow You Follow Me" was Genesus "selling out." I love the song. I wonder how many people have gotten married to that song? It seems like the perfect song for a wedding ceremony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Comes down to age IMO. I'm 40 and dig the "Duke" and "Abacab" transitional era the best. Those younger probably feel the Invisible Touch album is their best.

Maybe Hipsters dig Floyd because you get a secondhand stone at a Floyd show. Saw Floyd in 1987 at East Rutherford on Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour. I drank but never was a pothead. EVERYONE but me was smoking at that show. Most of the Genesis potheads were the old schoolers that grew up on the Prog Era of the 70's. Guys 10 years older than me told me they smoked to that stuff in the 70's.
I'm not sure how you could say it comes down to age. Pink Floyd's and Genesis were contemporary bands, both forming in the late 60's and drawing influence from psychedelia and The Beatles. Is it that Pink Floyd's music has aged better or has a "hipper" quality to it?

Maybe it could be that Pink Floyd's music was always more guitar-driven while Genesis' music was always dominated by the synths (even though Steve Hackett is an amazing guitarist, you can't deny that he was mostly pushed to the sidelines, which is why he ultimately quit the band).

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I don't care if "Follow You Follow Me" was Genesus "selling out." I love the song. I wonder how many people have gotten married to that song? It seems like the perfect song for a wedding ceremony.

I'm not sure how you could say it comes down to age. Pink Floyd's and Genesis were contemporary bands, both forming in the late 60's and drawing influence from psychedelia and The Beatles. Is it that Pink Floyd's music has aged better or has a "hipper" quality to it?

Maybe it could be that Pink Floyd's music was always more guitar-driven while Genesis' music was always dominated by the synths (even though Steve Hackett is an amazing guitarist, you can't deny that he was mostly pushed to the sidelines, which is why he ultimately quit the band).
I think the biggest issue with Floyd is the fact that their top albums from their day were so OVEREXPOSED it's made people like myself not dig them anymore. I liked Floyd as a kid. However, The Wall came out when I was too young for concerts.My only concert in 1979 was my mom taking me to see Kenny Rogers.LOL. I missed out on their peak era from a concert standpoint. I saw them in 1987 while in HS. Even though they "jumped shark" with Gilmore instead of Waters, it was still fun to see once. However, I burned out on Floyd even before 1987.

I never thought of Genesis's 1978 album as a "sellout" with "Follow You Follow Me." I just thought that album along with their prior one stunk."Sellout" never came to my mind. Just kind of boring bland music.They seemed both "smug" as well as "confused" as to what they wanted to do after a strong Collins debut with Trick of a Tail. That live Seconds Out album wasn't very good either IMO.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
I've always loved Genesis, and saw them several times in the early to mid-70's. I liked their earlier stuff with Gabriel, especially Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound, but I was blown away by the period right after he left the group and before they became more pop oriented.

Without Gabriel being the focus, and Phil Collins at first just a middling front man, Tony Banks and Steve Hackett really stepped up. To this day, Ripples and Entangled blow me away (though the lyrics are ridiculous).

As Collins asserted himself the band became more pop-oriented and I lost interest, but it was damn good pop music.

As a side note, Anthony Phillips was the first Genesis guitarist, but he suffered from crippling stage fright. He has a number of albums out, and my favorite is the 1978 release Private Parts and Pieces. I wish he'd been able to record Autumnal with Genesis, it would have been amazing. You can hear a snippet of it on this video.

Private Parts & Pieces I & II Re-issue Promo - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music