U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 735,494 times
Question Why do a lot of people hate country music?

Just wondering.

I have seen on Facebook and other social sites saying that a particular person likes all types of music "except country".

I am just wondering why do people hate country music so much? Much of it know could fall under lite hits. Classic country is beautiful, I mean I thought mostly everyone liked Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton?

I also learned that a lot of people who say they hate country music never really gave the genre a chance. And once I introduced them they instantly became fans of it.

So, why do you love or hate country music? For those who don't like it, have you really listened to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,445,344 times
It isn't the music I hate! It's the "singing"!

If all country were instrumental I could tolerate it. Perahps even enjoy some of it, if administered in small doses.

But that god-awful, screechy, nasally, twangy, wailling often accompanied by poor grammer and a heavy "country" or southern accent is like nails on a chalkboard, or if somebody stepped on a cat's tail.

I am not fond of rap or hip-hop but will take that or any other type of music over country. I have walked out of, or never returned to, stores or other businesses that play only country. It irritates me that much. Luckily, there are few businesses that do this.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,227,550 times
I'm not sure why so many people don't like country music. My guess is that country music is one of those styles of music that just doesn't seem to appeal to many people outside its demographic. It doesn't seem to have a "coolness" factor going for it that's allowed other styles of music like hip hop to reach a larger audience.

I have yet to hear any country music with vocals that I like, although there are plenty of country performers I respect. I find the country vocal style to be extremely annoying. Instrumental country music or rock with light country influences (like The Allman Brothers) sits a lot better with me.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 4,166,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Just wondering.

I have seen on Facebook and other social sites saying that a particular person likes all types of music "except country".

I am just wondering why do people hate country music so much? Much of it know could fall under lite hits. Classic country is beautiful, I mean I thought mostly everyone liked Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton?

I also learned that a lot of people who say they hate country music never really gave the genre a chance. And once I introduced them they instantly became fans of it.

So, why do you love or hate country music? For those who don't like it, have you really listened to it?
I loathe country music. It's about the most depressing music I have ever heard. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Twangy, depressing music at its finest!]

Actually if you look on FB, there are I hate county music fb pages! also county music s--cks! The comments are so funny!

Quote:
My guess is that country music is one of those styles of music that just doesn't seem to appeal to many people outside its demographic. It doesn't seem to have a "coolness" factor going for it that's allowed other styles of music like hip hop to reach a larger audience.
You hit the nail on the head Passion!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Most people listen to music for cultural reasons. Most people don't identify with the "country living" culture.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,239,955 times
Cowboy hats kinda kills it for me, though I do enjoy some of George Strait's and Alan Jackson's tunes. There was a time that it was the default music at work and I heard some good music. But I don't have have any radio presets for country stations in the car and just don't listen to it at home - unless my wife has her headphones off.

It wasn't bad at work. The guys liked it and they were a good enough crew to work with. It helped to pass the time. But it's a manufactured music and often you can hear the same guy playing guitar on any number of different artists' tracks - which is fine, I guess, if you want everyone to feature that same slick playing. I think innovation gets lost in the process though. Canned music.

That's just me and I won't knock folks who really get into it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
JPD

7,435 posts, read 7,365,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Just wondering.

See bold. Johnny Cash is anything but "light hits." If Johnny Cash is the type of country you like, you certainly aren't into the "light hits" type of country.

Johnny Cash's best material is some of the most minimalistic, bare bones music ever to hit the charts. It's the polar opposite of the over-produced slicked-up faux honky tonk you'll find on the country charts these days or any time in recent memory.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,341,471 times
This would be a really boring world if everyone liked the same music. Music is enjoyed where it touches the life experiences of its listeners. Country music speaks mostly to traditional American life. Two and three chord music made country music.

BTW, as I sit here writing this, I'm listening to Fraulein by Bobby Helms a song that reminds me of an era when WWII veterans were still a large part of our families.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
I don't hate country music, but it's not something I want to listen to all the time. However sometime, starting in the early 1990s, it seemed like it became the only thing they play in many rural areas. (No, this wasn't always the case. When I was a kid in this small-town most of the kids listened to like Duran-Duran or Wham! and didn't get much more "country" than John Cougar Mellencamp) As I've only lived in small towns it gets tiresome.

That country music is all "sad" or "whiney" I think is an unfair stereotype. I would say most of it is a good deal less sad/depressing than much of the Alternative I've heard or even liked. Country songs don't usually get into miasmic despair about "hurting myself to see if I can still feel" or downbeat songs of suicide. I think more significant might be that, sad or happy, country music is often somewhat idealized stories that border on sappiness. Even the sad ones often evoke a certain nostalgia or ideal with marriages failing or life not being what they once hoped. Not so much "I'm alienated and I hate myself" sadness, which maybe works better for younger people.

So in some ways country music is conservative, I don't mean politically conservative although it can be that too. It's often about older people or thinking about older things. It's more youth-oriented than it once was, but I don't know that it does quite as much "it's hard to be a mopey teen" stuff rock or alternative would do. Possibly even Leftist country musicians are that way, complaining about the decline of the middle-class or waxing nostalgic for the days when marijuana was legal or whatever.

Also there's the accents and much of it is about drinking or getting drunk. If you're from the Northeast or Pacific, and don't drink alcohol, much of country is referring to a slightly alien world I'd reckon.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 AM

8,681 posts, read 6,945,013 times
Because it sucks?

Is this a trick question?

Just kidding around.

I don't like it because half of it sounds whiny, the other half sounds whiny yet belligerent, and correctly or not, the whole genre is associated with rednecks. "How do I like you now?" I don't. Shut up.

Just my opinion. People rag on music I like, too. Take it in stride and enjoy what you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music