U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM

650 posts, read 529,560 times
the Beatles are way overrated. They hit the US right after JFK's assasination and took the country's mind off that tragedy. They had a couple good songs, but the baby boomer generation has constantly shoved it down everyone's throats. People need to get over them and move on!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,947,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'd appreciate it if someone can help me understand this. I'd be embarrassed to admit this to anyone my age (57) in real life!

I grew up with the Beatles. Had all their albums. But they just don't seem to do it for me anymore. Some of their stuff almost seems a little simplistic and dull.

The group that has stayed with me the longest and who I appreciate even more now is The Doors. Find the music more gripping. Love the organ and Jim Morrison's voice and poetry.

But how can I not like the Beatles anymore?????
You're not alone. Although I'm several years younger than you, I recall listening to the Beatles quite a bit back in the day, but these days I rarely if ever get the urge to hear them. And can't for the life of me remember the last time I pulled them up on youtube, as I do with many other artists. Hell, I don't even own one of their CD's. I might have a song of two of theirs on some of my many "mixed cuts" CD's, but that's about it.
To answer your question, the reason that I think the Beatles' stuff sort of leaves us cold these days is simply because much of their sound is dated. Their sound did such a great job of capturing the feel of the 60's--first with their "yeah yeah yeah" innocent pop stuff, and then with their more psychadelic "Yellow Submarine" music--that much of it doesnt hold-up too well today to our more refined adult sensibilities.
I find that so much of the Beatles' music today sounds, well, just too juvenile. I'm sure alot of people will vehmently disagree with me on this; those who love to listen to the Beatles and reminisce about, and get transported back to, the old days. And I inderstand that. I'm just tellin' you guys how their sound effects me these days. (Or, more accurately: doesn't effect.)
Don't get me wrong: there's no getting aorund the fact that the Beatles were one of the best and most influential bands in the history of rock. It's just that their time has passed.
Too: I always liked the Stones better than the Beatles. And doncha think their sound has held up way better than the Beatles' has? I mean, hey, "Satisfaction" or "Gimme Shelter" ain't ever gonna sound dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyAVGAduQ4

Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM

8,284 posts, read 10,079,216 times
I was never a huge Beatles fan but because all my friends bought their albums, so did I. I really appreciate their story more than their music and just recently started to appreciate John Lennon's works. I do like Paul's benefit work but not so much his music anymore. I did/still do love Led Zeppelin and think that they will go down as the best ever rock band...well I hope. I also love The Who's Keith Moon and his story would make a great movie some day...hoping in my lifetime.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,744,074 times
I was never a Beatle fan, but I can say that it's normal for people's musical tastes to change, especially if you are a fan of a band who hasn't recorded new music in years. I would get bored with listening to the same songs over and over again.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM

769 posts, read 582,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I am a huge Doors fan, and I will accept the latest theory about Morrison's death. I had been a holdout for a while, but this latest story which says he was carried out of a Paris club after overdosing there seems credible. So much for him living in Oregon. Manazarek just released something with Roy Clark? I think. I heard it at the radio station. Played a track on air from it. It's ok. Nothing extravagant. Just two old guys playing some blues.
Loose cannon, is this what you were talking about?

Ray Manzarek of The Doors and Roy Rogers live at Anthology in San Diego - YouTube

Always nice to meet another Doors fan!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,673,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Loose cannon, is this what you were talking about?

Ray Manzarek of The Doors and Roy Rogers live at Anthology in San Diego - YouTube

Always nice to meet another Doors fan!
yes i meant roy rogers.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,673,915 times
To be fair the Stones were also overrated. Most of their 60's stuff was good, except fopr the Satanic Majesties Request which was when they were deep into the occult. Sympathy For The Devil is about the occultic Process Church that many stars were a part of. That was just a drug induced occult soaked rip off of Sgt Peppers. Their 70's was hit or miss. Some Girls is sadly overlooked.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 AM

24,583 posts, read 10,768,450 times

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 AM

13,362 posts, read 38,758,312 times
*Offical Beatles Thread*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.