Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM

3,980 posts, read 6,788,987 times

Advertisements

This guy, with stage name Latino, is one of the greatest "hit makers" of Brazil.

Every two years, Latino comes out with a new dancing song that becomes a great hit in the radio stations.

His last "hit" is a Brazilian version of "Danza Kuduro" from Don Omar and Lucenzo:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Brazil today is like the US, lots of crap and mediocre music instead of class. But there still is great music if one is willing to dig.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Brazil today is like the US, lots of crap and mediocre music instead of class. But there still is great music if one is willing to dig.

I agree, there is a lot of CRAP music here in Brazil today. But also there is a lot of GOOD music.

I would say that DIVERSITY is very big, and in a diverse environment, people never have the same tastes.

Also, we always tend to think that the music of "our generation" is great, and the music of the younger generations is crap. This is the way the world always was. "Older people" always think the youth only listens to crap, and younger people always think the older people only listen to "boring" music... And so life goes...

But like Elis Regina said in one of her songs: "Apesar de tudo que fizemos, ainda somos os mesmos, e vivemos como os nossos pais..."

Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Seja como for, pelo menos eu não vivo nada como os meus pais

Certainly I do prefer the music I grew up with and associate experiences with. However, I am not sure that means that modern music is of the same quality as it used to be. There are a lot of young people who love 80s music although they were not even born yet. I do think that with the extreme commercialization and use of the computer the overall quality of popular music as an art went south.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Seja como for, pelo menos eu não vivo nada como os meus pais

Certainly I do prefer the music I grew up with and associate experiences with. However, I am not sure that means that modern music is of the same quality as it used to be. There are a lot of young people who love 80s music although they were not even born yet. I do think that with the extreme commercialization and use of the computer the overall quality of popular music as an art went south.

No doubt about that, you're right. The artistic quality of music is going down in the last 20 years. I strongly agree.

Maybe it's the way how younger people face music: many of them no longer face it like a form of art, but just like a form of entertainment.

I tend to think that there are "two kinds" of music: music-art and music-entertainment. I think that each one has different aspirations. Both are legitime, in my opinion, and should be accepted.

Of course there are some "music" that are so absurdly ridiculous and offensive that nobody can endure. The kind of commercial "forró" that some bands are doing now here in Northeastern Brazil is an example. Totally absurd. I can't tolerate that. I can't even understand how anyone can consider that crap to be "fun". To me, it's not forró. Calling that crap forró is offensive to the memory of Luiz Gonzaga, the father of the real forró.

But, in general, I think that "music for fun", music-entertainment, is a kind of music with different purposes than the "music-art", and we need to understand that.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Kind of a grab bag of varied genres.

zeze di camargo e luciano - no dia em que eu sai de casa wav Chicos.avi - YouTube

Nara Leão - "Samba de uma nota só" e "Samba do Avião" - YouTube

Mauro Diniz " Querubim " - YouTube

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
No doubt about that, you're right. The artistic quality of music is going down in the last 20 years. I strongly agree.

Maybe it's the way how younger people face music: many of them no longer face it like a form of art, but just like a form of entertainment.

I tend to think that there are "two kinds" of music: music-art and music-entertainment. I think that each one has different aspirations. Both are legitime, in my opinion, and should be accepted.

Of course there are some "music" that are so absurdly ridiculous and offensive that nobody can endure. The kind of commercial "forró" that some bands are doing now here in Northeastern Brazil is an example. Totally absurd. I can't tolerate that. I can't even understand how anyone can consider that crap to be "fun". To me, it's not forró. Calling that crap forró is offensive to the memory of Luiz Gonzaga, the father of the real forró.

But, in general, I think that "music for fun", music-entertainment, is a kind of music with different purposes than the "music-art", and we need to understand that.
Probably, yes. I just happen to be allergic to entertainment To me there is only great music and crap, nothing in between. I assume I only like 1 out of a 1000 modern songs, no matter whether they are from the US, Brazil, or wherever. The other 999 are discarded after 15 seconds or so, it doesn't take me longer than that to make that decision, oftentimes not even 15 secs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:00 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Partly curiosity, but I'll try two ladies of samba to keep things going.

Clara Nunes e Nosso samba - A Deusa dos Orixás (RARIDADE) - YouTube

Beth Carvalho - VouFestejar (Com a Bateria da Mangueira) - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music