Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Then there's Jackson Browne's Running On Empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Man through his flaming pyre has conquered the wayward breezes
Climbing to tranquility, far above the clouds
Conceiving the heavens cleared of misty shroud
- Higher and Higher

An album overlooked by a subject such as this would be To Our Childrens Childrens Children, the Moody Blues fourth album that was released around Chistmas of 1969. It was only six months previous of the moon landing. I've been following this band for decades and am familiar with their story of how this album came to be. It was only the month before the moon landing (May) that On The Threshold Of A Dream was released.

Speeding through a charcoal sky
Observe the truth we cannot hide
- Eternity Road

The members of the band had a great time recording this lp, according to drummer Graeme Edge. And it is said that these songs were written shortly after the moon landing. All five members contributed songwriting to this effort as well, including Edge, the drummer.

Vast vision must improve our sight
Perhaps we'll see an end to our own endless plight, and the beginning of the free
Climbing to tranquility, finding its real worth
Conceiving the heavens, flourishing on earth

Edge's song "Higher and Higher" starts with mellotron and keyboard player Mike Pinder literally slamming the keyboard and slowly simulates a rocket blastoff on keyboards (if you will) with Edge's spoken word delivered to the music. For the record, Graeme would never be accused of being a good singer, but would be a worthy contributor to the bands songs.

Forty two years after this release, the Moodies draw a lot of their playset from this classic lp. I should know, I've seen them in concert a lot of times. They are touring the east coast right now, in fact.

One of my favorite cuts on the album is Ray Thomas' "Floating".

To take a stroll among the stars
And get a close look at planet Mars.

A great, great lp!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-24-2012 at 06:35 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of the greatest concept albums I've heard.

The Kinks....Big Sky - YouTube

Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Not sure what we're calling "concept albums" here. For me its an album based on a theme. Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is a really good one with dark themes related to the title.

Porcupine Tree Blackest Eyes - YouTube

Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Labyrinth - Sons of Thunder

Labyrinth -Touch the Rainbow - YouTube

Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
3 pages and no Frank Zappa mentions?
I beat you to it.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Savatage - Dead Winter Dead

Savatage - This is the Time (HQ) - YouTube

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society is one of the greatest concept albums I've heard.

The Kinks....Big Sky - YouTube
That's a good one and very underrated as far as the pioneering British bands that started making concept albums in the late 60s go. And Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) from 1969 is another classic. Both have good themes that play to the concept album idea yet don't come off as too grandiose or pretentious.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Man through his flaming pyre has conquered the wayward breezes
Climbing to tranquility, far above the clouds
Conceiving the heavens cleared of misty shroud
- Higher and Higher

An album overlooked by a subject such as this would be To Our Childrens Childrens Children, the Moody Blues fourth album that was released around Chistmas of 1969. It was only six months previous of the moon landing. I've been following this band for decades and am familiar with their story of how this album came to be. It was only the month before the moon landing (May) that On The Threshold Of A Dream was released.

Speeding through a charcoal sky
Observe the truth we cannot hide
- Eternity Road

The members of the band had a great time recording this lp, according to drummer Graeme Edge. And it is said that these songs were written shortly after the moon landing. All five members contributed songwriting to this effort as well, including Edge, the drummer.

Vast vision must improve our sight
Perhaps we'll see an end to our own endless plight, and the beginning of the free
Climbing to tranquility, finding its real worth
Conceiving the heavens, flourishing on earth

Edge's song "Higher and Higher" starts with mellotron and keyboard player Mike Pinder literally slamming the keyboard and slowly simulates a rocket blastoff on keyboards (if you will) with Edge's spoken word delivered to the music. For the record, Graeme would never be accused of being a good singer, but would be a worthy contributor to the bands songs.

Forty two years after this release, the Moodies draw a lot of their playset from this classic lp. I should know, I've seen them in concert a lot of times. They are touring the east coast right now, in fact.

One of my favorite cuts on the album is Ray Thomas' "Floating".

To take a stroll among the stars
And get a close look at planet Mars.

A great, great lp!

I completely agree, it's hard to say which of the Classic 7 is my favorite, but TOCCC is probably close.

"A gypsy of a strange and distant time
Travelling in panic all direction blind
Aching for the warmth of a burning sun
Freezing in the emptiness of where he'd come from
Oh...
Left without a hope of coming home"

THE MOODY BLUES -- To Our Childrens Childrens Children -- 1969 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music