Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
People keep ranting about autotune, but Joni Mitchell and all our favorite rock and pop stars relied on plenty of "aid" in the studio. It does not take computers to hide off-key moments and other screw-ups and make a vocal take sound flawless when it wasn't. In fact, if the average fan of 60's-70's music were aware of how many of their heroes' songs were Frankensteined together to create something that sounded good, they'd be appalled. Some of the most famous and wealthiest singers of the 60's and 70's could barely stay in tune at your neighborhood karaoke house.

Some methods that were frequently used by almost any pop or rock star in the 60's-90's include: assembling one track from fragments of multiple takes, double-tracked vocals, fixed punch-ins, analogue pitch correction, strategically placed backup singers, use of echo and reverb, added compression, use of guide vocals, and many other improvised or studio standard techniques. These were used on almost any 60's or 70's pop or rock album you care to name. The only reason why Autotune (and Melodyne; a lot of listeners probably can't tell the difference) is prevalent now is that it is cheaper and less labor-intensive to use than the 60's methods of covering up bad singing.

I prefer Joni Mitchell to Taylor Swift too, but it must get to be a real drag for Millennials to have to be constantly lectured about how their pop singers all suck and have no talent, unlike grandpa's pop singers, who were flawless geniuses with talents that have vanished from the face of the earth. Especially when grandpa's singers were just as flat and out-of-tune before studio magic was applied.

Here's a little story; if this is getting too long, feel free to skip it. I was at an audiophile forum not too long ago, one that is populated mostly by smug, narrow-minded, unadventurous, timid middle-aged to just-turned-senior men who fancy themselves experts in audio equipment and music (actually, the two are entirely different things). Scoffing at Taylor Swift and her peers is something they do all day, year in and year out. One thing they love is their old Beatles albums; the really edgy ones might even play Cream on a particularly wild night.

I had innocently made the point that there actually is good music that has been recorded after 1979, which is always a minority opinion among such people (not that any of them had ever bothered to look), and even went so far as to claim the best music of today is just as good as the best music of any era. That was more than they could stand, and in addition to being berated by one and all, I was also lectured about how Taylor Swift and the rest all use autotune, so they suck. I wasn't even thinking of Taylor Swift; my point was mostly about indie rock music, but missing the point is what such people do a lot. Then, as they often do, they got sidetracked into talking about the Beatles again, and they started crowing about how great Paul McCartney sounded on his Live in New York City album. "Even at his age, he relies on just his own talent. Autotune need not apply!!" was a direct quote from one of those blowhards. Of course, a cursory listen revealed the recording to be saturated in Melodyne (Autotune's main competitor), to the point of making McCartney sound like a robot in places. Which is understandable, the man is elderly and had been losing his voice steadily since the 80's. Yet, none of these so-called audiophiles had the ears to even detect the Melodyne dripping from all the songs. I pointed out the irony of this, and their subsequent posts were the equivalent of sticking one's fingers in one's own ears and shouting "na-na-na-na-i-can't-hear-you-na-na-na"

Which makes me think that part of it is just being older and not understanding the priorities of young people. Taylor Swift is popular because no matter how vapid she may sound to Grandpa, she nonetheless produces catchy music, and that music and her image speak to people on some level. Maybe her message is not Joni Mitchell's (and even Mitchell's fans don't listen to her dreary post-70's albums much anyway, which used plenty of studio gimmickry including digital pitch correction), but she isn't Joni Mitchell and never claimed to be.

At any rate, studio sweetening of vocals goes way back and was used by everyone. It isn't just the kids today...
Reminds me of Johnny Bravo/Greg Brady around 3:50 mark
That's not me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Tiffany ...

... just because of her cameo in the Robin Sparkles video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCAiBmA_bK8

Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'll take the 1-877-KARS4KIDS commercial, played over and over again, instead of either Debbie or Tiffany
NO PLEASE!!! Not that ad. In one of the most played versions of the ad, the guy who comes on and sings after the kids first stanza sounds like a pedophile. The ad gives me the creeps. But I get your point - I'd probably take fingernails on a chalkboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music