Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'd give it to the 2000's by a long shot. 90's music started going really sour toward the end of the decade when the most popular music was terrible pop rap like Ja Rule, rap metal like Limp Bizkit and all the boy band pop like Backstreet/Nsync/98/LFO/Boyzone. The pop charts were almost completely void of anything decent during the decade, the most popular acts were Beyonce, Nickelback, Eminem, Black Eyed Peas and Justin Timberlake.

Rock music on the radio was horrible and rock radio is largely DOA in America because of it. Stale grunge retreads like Nickelback and Creed. Fossils riding on fumes like Chili Peppers, U2 and Foo Fighters. LINKIN PARK!

The 2010s have gotten much better, good indie songs are actually getting to the top of the POP charts (Fun, Gotye, Black Keys). Indie is killing those stale grunge era acts and bands like MGMT and Grouplove are getting airplay.

70s is probably second worst with those horrible mushy singer songwriter songs, disco and prog/dinosaur rock like Styx but they also had a lot of great music (funk, early new wave) and they gave us PUNK!

This was hard for me. I lived through the 1970s, as a tween, teen, and at the end adult. So it was my "coming of age decade."

I would say musically, it is the most schizophrenic decade around. There were literally two types of music. The most ground breaking, powerful, interesting, innovative, music one would want to blast through a 1970s three foot high JBL speaker system...and then there was the other stuff. The normal stuff.

But then, there was the popular stuff. Which to my mind was the absolute worst, over processed cheezy garbage in the world. This was the stuff that you heard on the radio. The insipid, limp Arena Rock, Country Rock, self indulgent guitar and drum solos, and FINALLY, at the end of the decade, the horrible audio onslaught of DISCO!!!

The WORST music to come out of that decade in my not terribly humble opinion - The Eagles, Peter Frampton, R.E.O Speed Wagon, Bad Company, Styx,
Emerson lake and Palmer, Yes, and Jethro Tull. There was so much bad arena rock that I could type for ever.

And saccharine sweet pop that could make one vomit. AM radio in the 1960s was a GOOD THING. It was interesting and diverse.
My older cousins got to hear Questionmark and the Mysterians, ("96 Tears") The Castaways ("Liar Liar") the Kingsman (Louie Louie) and Them (Gloria) PLUS - the Beatles, the Stones and all that other great British invasion stuff, Motown, and The Girl Groups. Garage Rock was played on AM radio! And people liked it!

Something happened in the 70s. The radio got bad, very bad. If you had to go someplace with your parents and they only had an AM radio, you were screwed. Seriously screwed. You would be listening to these horrible, annoying and boring songs - "Afternoon Delight" "Having My Baby", " Muskrat Love", and "Disco Duck."

My guess is this. Even if you are not old enough to remember these songs, just hearing the TITLES, if you have a semblance of taste is music, will strike terror into your Rock n Roll heart.

It did to mine. But I loved music, and even as a early teenager, I searched for something different. And I found it! First in the form of Glitter. Early Glitter bands such as The New York Dolls, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Sparks, Slade, Gary Glitter, T Rex, and others saved us from this vapid corporate controlled quagmire.

Then there was this one song that was played on AM Radio. "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed. It spoke about some pretty dangerous and interesting stuff. Then I went out and bought the album "Transformer" and I was transformed. Later I would lean about Lou Reeds first group, The Velvet Underground. Technically they were active only through 1970, but many fans discovered them first in the 1970s.

Two other proto-punk artists Iggy Pop, (Iggy and the Stooges) and The MC5.

More was to come! In a small dingy club on NYCs Bowery, a place known for sleazy flop houses, and inveterate drunks, CBGBs, once a biker bar, opened it's stage to some of the most amazing music I have ever heard!

The RAMONES, Blondie, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Television, Richard Hell and The Void Oids, Suicide, The Dead Boys, The Cramps and so many others, changed the landscape of Rock forever.

The thing is, hardly anyone knew about it.Or liked it, at the time. And if you came home from college with The Ramones first album, you were likely to be laughed at by your Peter Frampton loving friends. Well, I was.

A friend of mine said "That's only 4 cords! ANYONE could do that" To which I replied "exactly!"...They didn't get it.

So, I would have to say that the ABSOLUTE WORST MUSIC OF ALL TIME OCCURRED in the 1970s, and at the same time, and perhaps in reaction to it, some of the very BEST MUSIC of all times was made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,460,981 times
If you mean for popular music than the 1970s or 2000s. Plenty of good music in those decades, but mostly not the pop stuff.

If you mean in general I might be tempted to say the 1910s, but I like some ragtime as well as some of what Ravel and Stravinsky were doing. Still maybe.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 AM

4,573 posts, read 7,474,912 times
The 1950s.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
To sort of echo what other people have said, it seems to my ears the early 1970s were a particularly fallow period in rock music. Things got dramatically better in the late 1970s, both with chart hits and the dramatic expansion of "underground" music. The late 1990s and most of the 2000s weren't so hot either, though there were a number of good indie bands in the latter period when the underground became the underground again.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,513,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
To sort of echo what other people have said, it seems to my ears the early 1970s were a particularly fallow period in rock music.
I disagree. The early 70's (1970 - 1973) was a great time period for rock music (though not on the charts). So many bands reached their artistic peak during this period. Just a few that come to find: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Yes, etc. I guess if you hate progressive rock or early metal, this time period isn't for you.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,856,855 times
The 2000's are the worst, it's like the 90's on repeat but without the inspiration and pioneering zeal. I'm a dance fan so my perspective is mostly on dance music, the 2000's have been littered with nothing but boring minimal c**p.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I disagree. The early 70's (1970 - 1973) was a great time period for rock music (though not on the charts). So many bands reached their artistic peak during this period. Just a few that come to find: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Yes, etc. I guess if you hate progressive rock or early metal, this time period isn't for you.
Yeah, a very narrow genre or genres of rock music hit its apex while everything else in the rock genre was at a low ebb. Part of the reason for that was the push in the late 1960s towards progressive rock and the thinking back then that more complex = better. Thank goodness (at least IMO) music changed later in the decade (though having Led Zeppelin, early Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple's Machine Head produced at that time was good thing) and both melody and more straightforward song structures returned to popularity.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,152,608 times
The 2000s followed by the 90s. Most of the mainstream music in the past decade is either simply bad or lacks character. Even the songs I like from the past decade have a certain blandness to it. The 90s had some good music, though it went downhill towards the end.

Every decade has good and bad music, but the majority was subpar in the 00s IMO.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,378,823 times
In terms of popular music, this decade is by far the worst. Gaga, Katy Perry, LMAO, Flo Rida, Rihanna = awful.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:14 PM

17 posts, read 108,369 times
The 90's. The 2000's had bad mainstream stuff but the indie music is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music