Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

When you spend 1997 through 2007 rapping about all your material excess -- your houses, your cars, your rims, your chains, and your hedonistic behavior at the nightclub, the strip club, and all your favorite exclusive vacation spots across the world -- people don't want to hear it anymore when it's 2008 and they're losing their jobs in a collapsing economy, or in 2012 when everybody's settling into the "new normal" and learning how to make do with less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
Da only mainstream music I listen to is maybach music and G.O.O.D Music

Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
It seems that most of you are getting what you have always wanted, for rap music to finally come to an end.

It seems that nowadays, rap music is no longer popular among young adults anymore. It is obvious that rock, country and dubstep that still prevail.

Now this is largely for areas around the world, but there are small metro areas where rap still flourishes... such as tampa, miami, nyc and perhaps dallas & houston. LA might be a toss up.

Dont even mention seattle because its really grunge and strange occult music up there.

Any thoughts out there as to why rap music & culture sort of fell off the map?
I sure hope it is dead or dying!
I have never liked it and I think it had/has a very bad influence on insecure young people.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
It died in '96 when one of the most prolific and gifted voices was silenced much to soon. It died with the corporate takeover of the art form. It died when rappers sold their souls for the almighty dollar. It died when women went from being fellow MC's to those who are completely degraded. It died when conscious men were replaced with foolish boys. Rap is an embarrassment now.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
It died in '96 when one of the most prolific and gifted voices was silenced much to soon.
Nope still here. And his music still keeps leaky out. Weird huh...

Quote:
It died with the corporate takeover of the art form.
Love things like this. Funny how today's biggest "hip hop" star Mr. Wayne is on a label that was founded and still managed by Bryan Williams... you know him as Birdman/Baby/etc... The guy who found Wayne and grew him up alongside the other Cash Money label guys... the same one producing Nicki Minaj and Drake today. Sure looks like a corporate guy to me... the same one that use to slang records out of his car at one time... Just a fun fact... You know they still deal Mixtapes, when they don't need the press... Weird huh...

Quote:
It died when rappers sold their souls for the almighty dollar.
Did they all... No. Wiz & Mac still smokes tons of weed like before still hanging around the skaters. Tyler still hanging with his boys clowning around.

Quote:
It died when women went from being fellow MC's to those who are completely degraded.
Females still rap. I am not going into preferences just stating they are out there. Some examples include Nicki, Trina, Kreashawn (and her white girl mob i.e. Lil Debbie), Sadie Hawkins, those Crime Mob chicks (Diamond, Princess), and Iggy Azalea.

Quote:
It died when conscious men were replaced with foolish boys. Rap is an embarrassment now.
Sure some. All genres of music have exceptions. When you eliminate genre barriers, you will then just enjoy the music you like.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Anyone who thinks rap is dead or dying has obviously never been to a club or party full of young adults... Period. It is no longer a music of conscienceness & struggle, but rather one of dancing, good times, and celebration.

It is not dying... And will not die.

Music sales is not the sole source of music popularity anymore. Spins in clubs and on the radio actually have more influence than music purchased becuse it reaches more people. And last I checked they still pay royalties...

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 143,469 times
Yes, well, good riddance. And...rock and country?!?!?!? Seems the "powers that be" have morphed the two together into one mushy lame mess (ie: neither really exist anymore). More like, MUSIC has finally died. THANKS MTV, good job! We now (more or less) have the a mushy lame mess of hip-pop and crock. The only decent music happening anymore comes via the lo-fi (far away from the media) indie kids.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Anyone who thinks rap is dead or dying has obviously never been to a club or party full of young adults... Period. It is no longer a music of conscienceness & struggle, but rather one of dancing, good times, and celebration.

It is not dying... And will not die.

Music sales is not the sole source of music popularity anymore. Spins in clubs and on the radio actually have more influence than music purchased becuse it reaches more people. And last I checked they still pay royalties...
I cant even call that "rap/hip hop" though. Its more like hardcore pop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music