Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,004,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oops! Did I post the wrong one? I was looking at the one Steel7 posted and found the same one for a little less money. Sorry if I posted the wrong one.
The cd you posted was $14.00 + 2.98 s&h. I dont buy new cause used is just as good unless its listed as acceptable. I saved almost 12.00 (5.17) by buying used. I paid $5.00 for revolver. I just cant find any good beatle cds at thrift stores, pawn shops or yard sales. My next purchase may be 1962-1966. I have it on cassette as well as 1967-1970 (i have 66-70 on cd & cassette). I prefer cds much more then vinyl or tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM

19,190 posts, read 16,651,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The cd you posted was $14.00 + 2.98 s&h. I dont buy new cause used is just as good unless its listed as acceptable. I saved almost 12.00 (5.17) by buying used. I paid $5.00 for revolver. I just cant find any good beatle cds at thrift stores, pawn shops or yard sales. My next purchase may be 1962-1966. I have it on cassette as well as 1967-1970 (i have 66-70 on cd & cassette). I prefer cds much more then vinyl or tape.

I wasn't talking about the price. I was talking about whether it was a songtrack or soundtrack. Know what? It wasn't any of my business. I should have kept my nose out of it because you weren't asking for my advice anyway. Lesson learned.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,280,068 times
Quote:
Oops! Did I post the wrong one? I was looking at the one Steel7 posted and found the same one for a little less money. Sorry if I posted the wrong one.
No you didn't do anything wrong. I was just pointing out a distinction, since some people might not be aware that there are two different Yellow Submarine releases. I went to a record store several years ago to buy the Yellow Submarine soundtrack, and the clerk gave me the songtrack. I didn't realize until I got home that it wasn't the soundtrack. It didn't really matter to me, since I really only needed it for "It's All Too Much", which is on both.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM

18,205 posts, read 25,818,782 times
I remember the hype, the huge radio blitz, the long lines at the record stores (yep, I'm old!lol), when June 1, 1987 rolled in.

"It was twenty years ago today."

I was on vacation from work during that time and had some errands to run. I drove past three music shops I frequent and everyone had long lines through the front door. Celebrating the release of the 20th year anniversary of the release of Sgt. Peppers. Beatles lp's, 45's, cassettes, cd's, sheet music music, etc. were going bonkers that day.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-01-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the price. I was talking about whether it was a songtrack or soundtrack. Know what? It wasn't any of my business. I should have kept my nose out of it because you weren't asking for my advice anyway. Lesson learned.
Your advice was fine. I wanted the songtrack cause i have read its quite good plus you cant beat the price i paid for it. Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Lets keep this thread going. Lets talk about Revolver. Up until a week or so ago when i bought the cd i havent heard the lp since i was a kid (it was my fathers lp). Its quite good & i like how the beatles experiment with stereo. I like all 14 tracks. My father also had a hard days night & rubber soul on lp but like revolver they are in poor condition + i havent seen them in years. I also like all the songs on A Hard Days Night & Rubber Soul. I can listen to the beatles all day & i prefer their music in stereo.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,365,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Speaking of mono records and speaking of Beatle records in foreign countries, here is a good example. The Beatles White Album-British pressing. Yes, mono records were pressed across the pond for months after America quit making mono lp's around, say August of 1968. It's worth? In British pounds, a little over 200. American moolah, about $400.

Getting back to Sgt. Peppers, mono is indeed more valuable than stereo and certainly more sought after, if you can find an original rainbow label pressing. If you are talking about worth, one could go to Goldmine's Record Album Price Guide. The mono is listed in mint condition at $300, the stereo at $100. Sound pricy? You bet it is. As far as a 3 to 1 price ratio regarding mono to stereo, in my own experience of digging through vinyl I'll run across 10 stereo copies to one mono copy.

I've been collecting for well over four decades and absolute tip top mint condition Beatles albums, EP's and 45's are few and far between. NOW, a couple things of note on Steel7's quote on price. As I have been to many used collector shops, record/cd trade shows in the bigger cities, and what goes on online the quote IMO sounds about right. Records in VG condition aren't all that rare.

Also keep in mind the cutout figure cardboard insert has a price involved as a separate addition (usually $3 or so) The psych paper inner sleeve is worth some coin as well.

But what IS rare is flawless Beatles original pressings. And a big thing to consider is the foreign music collector coming to the States on a buying trip. Once they get purchased and go overseas, they are gone. American music, particularly 50's-70's rock, folk, soul, jazz, country and blues are sought after by foreign collectors and have been for the last few decades.
Heya Double H... nice to read you. One thing that you didn't mention is the price of 45 Sleeves! I sold a "She's So Sweet" 45 sleeve on eBay in 1999 for $350.00... with a Lot of 45's the sleeve is the money.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,280,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Heya Double H... nice to read you. One thing that you didn't mention is the price of 45 Sleeves! I sold a "She's So Sweet" 45 sleeve on eBay in 1999 for $350.00... with a Lot of 45's the sleeve is the money.
I have a She Loves You 45 and picture sleeve. I've never looked up its value.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 PM

I have a we can work it out 45 & picture sleeve as well as a 71 harrisons what is life 45 & pic sleeve. I doubt it if they are worth anything. Heres what the beatles 45 are going for.
http://www.beatlebay.com/45's.htm

Last edited by steel7; 06-04-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,365,772 times
Whatever you do, Never ever keep/store the 45 in the picture sleeve... instead put it in a crappy picture sleeve aka Captain & Tennile and just write in sharpie on said sleeve what 45 you actually have in there. Keep your vintage sleeve pressed in a book, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music