Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times

Advertisements

His tour itinerary looks pretty ambitious, but I don't know much about him.

Opinions??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I believe Gotye is a band, and the song Someone I used to Know is probably the best pop song in 35 years!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I believe Gotye is a band, and the song Someone I used to Know is probably the best pop song in 35 years!
Nope he's a one man show.
Making Mirrors is his third album.

and I agree, his pop music is fantastic.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Nope he's a one man show.
Making Mirrors is his third album.

and I agree, his pop music is fantastic.
I looked up his SNL song video...he seemed to have a full compliment of other musicians up there playing.

Does he record it all by himself through studio overdubbing?

How do you think his concerts will sell? Should I try to get a ticket right when it goes on sale if the venue is not a big one?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
I looked up his SNL song video...he seemed to have a full compliment of other musicians up there playing.

Does he record it all by himself through studio overdubbing?

How do you think his concerts will sell? Should I try to get a ticket right when it goes on sale if the venue is not a big one?

here is a good interview, detailing he is a solo artist.
he has been famous in Australia for a number of years now

Gotye:

I would think with his current success, his concerts will sell out.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube I love this song!

Also love the glee version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cay2dnuhcs&feature=fvwrel

Old 06-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Do you think he will stick around and get bigger or fade away like "flavor of the month" fad music did such as "Macarena" and Achy Breaky Heart. In other words - is his popularity based on mostly true music fans or is it more of the wishy-washy housewife type music fans who change what they like every few weeks?

You know the type.

Their favorite music is...

Monday: Katie Perry
Tuesday: Abba
Wednesday: Taylor Swift
Thursday: *whatever was just on Glee
Friday: Norah Jones
Saturday: *whoever finished 3rd on American Idol two years ago

Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Do you think he will stick around and get bigger or fade away like "flavor of the month" fad music did such as "Macarena" and Achy Breaky Heart. In other words - is his popularity based on mostly true music fans or is it more of the wishy-washy housewife type music fans who change what they like every few weeks?

You know the type.

Their favorite music is...

Monday: Katie Perry
Tuesday: Abba
Wednesday: Taylor Swift
Thursday: *whatever was just on Glee
Friday: Norah Jones
Saturday: *whoever finished 3rd on American Idol two years ago

You're taking the pi$$ right? Comparing a creative, interesting artist to tacky, novelty songs

I think you're off base with the type of fans Gotye would attract. Sure the average music listener might sing along on the radio, but not necessarily attend concerts.

He's been famous in Australia for quite a few years. Will his popularity in the mainstream continue... maybe not. But I'm sure he'll continue to make great songs.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
OK, I'm so confused...I love Somebody I Used To Know but when I tried looking it up, the group Walk Off the Earth was performing it. I even saw a clip from the Ellen DeGeneres with this group performing this song...

HOWEVER, on the radio, all the DJ's introduce Gotye as singing it. Clearly, they're not wrong but what's up? Has anyone else seen the other group?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
OK, I'm so confused...I love Somebody I Used To Know but when I tried looking it up, the group Walk Off the Earth was performing it. I even saw a clip from the Ellen DeGeneres with this group performing this song...

HOWEVER, on the radio, all the DJ's introduce Gotye as singing it. Clearly, they're not wrong but what's up? Has anyone else seen the other group?
Is this the one you had in mind?

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music