U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 PM

7,729 posts, read 3,713,820 times
Default Songs Evoking Specific Memories

I couldn't find an existing thread about this. I figure this must have been done before. Anyway...

I'd like to hear specific memories that come up for you when you hear a certain song, especially when you were young, a kid. It doesn't have to be anything exciting, just the memory (in detail) you experience when you hear it.

Whenever I hear "Close to You" by The Carpenters, I clearly remember my mom and brothers swimming at my mom's friend's house, with her kids (whom we grew up with), small pool parties. We would be out in the backyard and my mom's friend would have the "hi-fi" playing in the house, LOL, and she liked The Carpenters. I can still see how sunny it was, how the back yard looked, and there was always too much chlorine in the pool. (I also remember the dark blue shag carpet and peacock feathers decor in the den where the hi-fi was. )

It's very nostalgic for me. My mom's friend has since passed away from cancer, so that adds an extra layer of melancholy. It's still a very nice memory for me, though. And I always think of it when I hear that song -- any Carpenters song, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 PM

3,622 posts, read 2,813,171 times
I think it's crazy when you look back and you remember things from a child's perspective. My Dad was in a band so I often sat at his knee as a young child and he played his guitar and sang to me. This song is one of those. I remember this being a fun cheerful song but the upbeat almost sugary lyrics are not happy at all. But full of angst and those feelings you can only understand after the experience of life...losing, loving, and feeling. Yeah, yeah it has a happy ending but still...like life we never know until the end of the song.

(Kind of cool the year shown was the year I was born. )

I'm coming home I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine

If you received my letter, tellin' you I'd soon be free

then you'd know just what to do, if you still want me

Oh tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree
It's been three long years, do you still want me ?

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM

24,254 posts, read 13,799,294 times
The beginning of this song reminds me of when they were searching the water for JFK Jr's plane. The reason is because it was in a car commercial at the time and would always play during the news.

How Soon is Now? - The Smiths (Full Version) - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM

24,254 posts, read 13,799,294 times
When we were really little and couldn't even see over the front seat of the car sitting in the back, this song would come on the radio and my brother would go nuts and start shaking his head back and forth to the beat to the point you'd think his head was going to fall off. It's probably one of my earliest memories when it comes to music.

SAM THE SHAM AND THE PHARAOHS - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM

131,641 posts, read 42,357,865 times
Reminds me of myself wandering the woods and swamps as a kid with my shotgun I won selling magazines at school.

Jerry Reed - The Ballad of Gator McKlusky - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM

119 posts, read 85,420 times
Moderator cut: Please use only English to comment on these forums.

Sympathy for the Devil....Rolling Stones - YouTube

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2012 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM

350 posts, read 218,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I couldn't find an existing thread about this. I figure this must have been done before. Anyway...

I'd like to hear specific memories that come up for you when you hear a certain song, especially when you were young, a kid. It doesn't have to be anything exciting, just the memory (in detail) you experience when you hear it.

Whenever I hear "Close to You" by The Carpenters, I clearly remember my mom and brothers swimming at my mom's friend's house, with her kids (whom we grew up with), small pool parties. We would be out in the backyard and my mom's friend would have the "hi-fi" playing in the house, LOL, and she liked The Carpenters. I can still see how sunny it was, how the back yard looked, and there was always too much chlorine in the pool. (I also remember the dark blue shag carpet and peacock feathers decor in the den where the hi-fi was. )

It's very nostalgic for me. My mom's friend has since passed away from cancer, so that adds an extra layer of melancholy. It's still a very nice memory for me, though. And I always think of it when I hear that song -- any Carpenters song, actually.

It's interesting that you mention "Close to You". To me, that song brings back vivid memories of my freshman year at Montana State University in Bozeman, and that was in the early 70s.

Just two years earlier, I spent the summer at a cottage in Prince Edward County, Ontario. To this day, whenever I hear "Good Morning, Starshine" or "Jean", both by Oliver, I'm immediately taken back to that period of my life.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 PM

119 posts, read 85,420 times

AC/DC T.N.T. live in Munich, Germany 2001 (HQ) - YouTube

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2012 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM

7,729 posts, read 3,713,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I remember this being a fun cheerful song but the upbeat almost sugary lyrics are not happy at all. But full of angst and those feelings you can only understand after the experience of life...losing, loving, and feeling. Yeah, yeah it has a happy ending but still...like life we never know until the end of the song.

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree - YouTube
You're right about the disparity between the happy sound and the seriousness of the subject.

This is another song that is really ingrained in my memory. On Friday nights my mom would put a stack of 45s on the player, and friends or family would come around and sit around the kitchen table, have some drinks, have some laughs, as all the kids played outside. This one was really popular at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The beginning of this song reminds me of when they were searching the water for JFK Jr's plane. The reason is because it was in a car commercial at the time and would always play during the news.

How Soon is Now? - The Smiths (Full Version) - YouTube
That's eerie, Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Reminds me of myself wandering the woods and swamps as a kid with my shotgun I won selling magazines at school.

Jerry Reed - The Ballad of Gator McKlusky - YouTube
This one made me laugh, Nomadicus. If I ever hear this song again, now I'll think of you, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMountain View Post

Sympathy for the Devil....Rolling Stones - YouTube
Well, I did like the songs you picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
It's interesting that you mention "Close to You". To me, that song brings back vivid memories of my freshman year at Montana State University in Bozeman, and that was in the early 70s.

Just two years earlier, I spent the summer at a cottage in Prince Edward County, Ontario. To this day, whenever I hear "Good Morning, Starshine" or "Jean", both by Oliver, I'm immediately taken back to that period of my life.
It's just surprising how vividly it can bring back memories.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM

716 posts, read 131,919 times
Riding around in the back of a 4x4 farm truck going down the road BEFORE it was illegal in nearly all 50 States. We were headed to a creek for some fishing.

John Mellencamp - Minutes to Memories - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music