Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who died but would have sold the most records.
Jimi Hendrix 10 32.26%
The Doors (gotta factor in FL charges dropped) 11 35.48%
Janice Joplin 2 6.45%
Lynryrd Synyrd (factor in late start compared to rest) 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,196 times

Advertisements

Of the four who do you think would have sold the most records had they stayed alive and kept their bands at time of death intact, and why? I'm going to say Jimi, his material was always solid and lead guitar excellence carried itself well into the 70's with Page and 80's with Van Halen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,440,383 times
Michael Jackson!!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,517,918 times
I have to say The Doors, if they have stayed together. In fact if Jim was still alive, I think he would have embarked in a solo career while releasing Doors album every now and then, and even then, Jim’s solo career would have been incredibly successful, selling millions of records all the way through the 80’s.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM

14,985 posts, read 23,758,508 times
Both Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison have sold more records as dead men then they have alive.
You have to really ask that question and poll from musicians who were on the verge of breaking out, not estabilished ones. Let's face it - Jim Morrison was in a state of decline regardless. I don't see how we could have seen him recover. He burned out. Lynrrd Skynnrd, in their original form, maybe, they had a few more classic albums left in them for sure. They still tour today, but the way, with a few original member still.

My better candidates:
Duane Allman - died really before the Allman's were at their height, before their most popular albums. Still a legendary guitarist.
Kurt Cobain - yes he was established, and I am not really a fan of Nirvana, but I think he had potential to develop into different styles.
Terry Kath - oh what the band Chicago could have been, based on his contributions to their first few albums, if he had lived. When he died, Chicago turned from hard-edged jazz fused rock - to syrupy pop top-40 garbage.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
I could see Janis headlining Blues Festivals maybe working with Clapton or Taj. I'm not sure about Jimi, He seemed to have gotten a lot of pop success early on. At the time of his death he was moving away from popular music all together. Jimi liked the TV cameras a bit, he looked like a natural in front of it. I think he might have went the way of Elvis or Roy Clark like most showman type musicians do and became a TV personality.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM

14,985 posts, read 23,758,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Michael Jackson!!
That's a joke right? You then have to reword the post and from "artists who have died"...to "artists who had quit drug (or alcohol) addiction, cleaned up their act, and recovered", even before the death part.
That was why I have the issue with Jim Morrison. Same with some incredibly talented artists such as Brian Jones. They had issues before their death that would have prevented them from going further artistically, regardless of the "inconvienince" of death. In other words, they were already dead, they just happened to still be breathing.

I also agree with ThrifyLefty's conclusions about Jimi to a certain degree. He was heading into different directions other than pop and rock. He had a short attention span it seems. My guess is that if he would have lived he would not have the legendary status he has. He would have remained an exceptional guitarist - but he would be one of those obscure exceptional guitarits that are legendary and honored only in the guitar playing world, and not to the general population.

Last edited by Dd714; 07-05-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM

372 posts, read 1,041,283 times
Of the 4 offered, I'll go with Hendrix. I admit I am biased in that I have a much more extensive bootleg collection of his. Many of the then (at the time of his death) "projects" he was working on, that most people have never heard or only heard the Alan Douglas "bastardized" versions, are truly outstanding. One legit posthumous album that (In my opinion) was done correctly (by Eddie Kramer) was First Rays of the New Rising Sun. While Hendrix isn't everyone's taste, in my opinion First Rays shows an artist still ascending at the time of his death.

One artist I would add to your list, with a huge upside, would have been Buddy Holly. Such a tremendous catalogue he established by the age of 22. Performer, songwriter, and studio recording innovator, I submit he might have become the king of Rock n Roll (with no disrespect to Elvis) if he had been alive during the Rock n Roll lull circa 1960 to the arrival (in US) of the Beatles in 1964.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM

577 posts, read 988,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
One artist I would add to your list, with a huge upside, would have been Buddy Holly. Such a tremendous catalogue he established by the age of 22. Performer, songwriter, and studio recording innovator, I submit he might have become the king of Rock n Roll (with no disrespect to Elvis) if he had been alive during the Rock n Roll lull circa 1960 to the arrival (in US) of the Beatles in 1964.
Mentioning Buddy Holly makes me immediately think of Bobby Fuller who was( in my opinion) murdered at 23 years old in 1966. Holly was a big influence on Fuller, and many fell he was just a soundalike, but at the very end of his career, Fuller seemed to be starting to experiment, trying different sounds. One of his last recordings even had a tiny bit of psychedelic background ( Baby My Heart ). At the time of his death it looked as if he may have been ready to go solo and disband the Bobby Fuller 4. Even if his solo career didn't pan out, Fuller had quite a bit of production experience, and would have quite possibly had an impact behind the scenes.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Of the 4 offered, I'll go with Hendrix. I admit I am biased in that I have a much more extensive bootleg collection of his. Many of the then (at the time of his death) "projects" he was working on, that most people have never heard or only heard the Alan Douglas "bastardized" versions, are truly outstanding. One legit posthumous album that (In my opinion) was done correctly (by Eddie Kramer) was First Rays of the New Rising Sun. While Hendrix isn't everyone's taste, in my opinion First Rays shows an artist still ascending at the time of his death.

I've got some supposed bootleg stuff of his too. He really lays into it on Valleys of the Neptune, Machine Gun, and She's So Fine is just Noel w/o the Beatles type backing vocals. The Youtube and alblum released versions are very watered down.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Terry Kath - oh what the band Chicago could have been, based on his contributions to their first few albums, if he had lived. When he died, Chicago turned from hard-edged jazz fused rock - to syrupy pop top-40 garbage.
Terry Kath had quite the voice. Colour My World is one of my many favorites. Its ashame he died in 1978. Its a accident that could of been avoided. Another fav song of mine is from the 1975 lp Chicago VIII called "Oh thank you great spirit".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(band)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music