Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,836 times

Advertisements

In an interview in GQ magazine a few years ago Richards was asked if he thought the Beatles were over rated as musicians. He said yes they definetely were over rated as musicians. He said they were like a breath of fresh air. In other words the public needed a change I suppose is what he meant. But then he also added that the Stones were also over rated as musicians. I remember the Kingston Trio were at the top of the charts in the early 60s but they were getting old. But I thought the early Beatles were nothing special. Sort of bubble gummy songs but they had big promotion. Anyway, do you think that Keith Richards was right about his statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
Default what do you think of this statement made by Keith Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by angorlee View Post
in an interview in gq magazine a few years ago richards was asked if he thought the beatles were over rated as musicians. He said yes they definetely were over rated as musicians. He said they were like a breath of fresh air. In other words the public needed a change i suppose is what he meant. But then he also added that the stones were also over rated as musicians. I remember the kingston trio were at the top of the charts in the early 60s but they were getting old. But i thought the early beatles were nothing special. Sort of bubble gummy songs but they had big promotion. Anyway, do you think that keith richards was right about his statement?
I don't take too much stock in what Keith says.
what do you think of this statement made by Keith Richards-848861-bigthumbnail-1-.jpg

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
In an interview in GQ magazine a few years ago Richards was asked if he thought the Beatles were over rated as musicians. He said yes they definetely were over rated as musicians. He said they were like a breath of fresh air. In other words the public needed a change I suppose is what he meant. But then he also added that the Stones were also over rated as musicians. I remember the Kingston Trio were at the top of the charts in the early 60s but they were getting old. But I thought the early Beatles were nothing special. Sort of bubble gummy songs but they had big promotion. Anyway, do you think that Keith Richards was right about his statement?
That would be somewhat true for early stuff, I suppose. The later stuff got very complex. Often it confuses me on what the meaning or message was. It was very heavy and well thought out by intelligent musicians. I suppose Lucy had something to do with how complex the later songs were as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
I think what he was saying is that Ringo is no Ginger Baker, and John and George were not Jimi Hendrix and Santanta and there were plenty of singers out there who could sing circles around John and Paul in the 60's. Having said that, their song writing was indeed a breath of fresh air. I don't think any band of the era has had as many songs recorded by other other artist than the Beatles. They brought American popular music another dimension and out of folk and Blues song writing formulas. The song I want to hold Hold your hand, as simple as it sounds has a fairly complex chord structure.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think what he was saying is that Ringo is no Ginger Baker, and John and George were not Jimi Hendrix and Santanta and there were plenty of singers out there who could sing circles around John and Paul in the 60's. Having said that, their song writing was indeed a breath of fresh air. I don't think any band of the era has had as many songs recorded by other other artist than the Beatles. They brought American popular music another dimension and out of folk and Blues song writing formulas. The song I want to hold Hold your hand, as simple as it sounds has a fairly complex chord structure.
The Beatles would have sucked mightily if the drummer and guitarists were Ginger Baker, Hendrix and Santana.

Last edited by JPD; 07-07-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
The Beatles are overrated. Why is he wrong for saying it?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,994 times
[quote=thriftylefty;25059598]I think what he was saying is that Ringo is no Ginger Baker, and John and George were not Jimi Hendrix and Santanta and there were plenty of singers out there who could sing circles around John and Paul in the 60's. Having said that, their song writing was indeed a breath of fresh air. I don't think any band of the era has had as many songs recorded by other other artist than the Beatles. They brought American popular music another dimension and out of folk and Blues song writing formulas. The song I want to hold Hold your hand, as simple as it sounds has a fairly complex chord structure.[/quote]

A fair amount of their early work was. The Night Before, You're going to Lose that girl, Can't buy me Love.....the list goes on and on. I wasn't the typical C,D,G chord so many songs are written around. They definitely knew their chords and the off the wall ones and made it work. I think it was more Paul influenced because he used a lot of complex chord structures with Wings as well. It's as if there were 2 songs within one on so much of their material.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Beatles are overrated. Why is he wrong for saying it?
If you, or anyone you know, or have ever even heard of, can put together a band that did what they did, then we can talk about how to "rate" them. Until then, they earned and deserve every praise they ever got.

Anything else is nothing more than sour grapes.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If you, or anyone you know, or have ever even heard of, can put together a band that did what they did, then we can talk about how to "rate" them. Until then, they earned and deserve every praise they ever got.

Anything else is nothing more than sour grapes.
don't forget the huge promotion that was behind the Beatles with the main stream media pushing them upword every chance they got.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
don't forget the huge promotion that was behind the Beatles with the main stream media pushing them upword every chance they got.
Does everything have to back to Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music