U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 AM

16,514 posts, read 20,928,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Since we're at the point where MP3s on a computer, phone, or Ipod are becoming the most common way to listen to music, the sort of resurgance of vinyl is basically a collector's market that more reflects the decline of the market for CDs.

But when I buy vinyl--it's just a cooler thing to collect and display. And I like to find the original vinyl--it's cool to look at the huge pullouts or the long-winded story of the band on the back sleeve. I mean I have old jazz albums where they basically tell the artist's biography in about ten paragraphs on the back. You can put an album on your wall and they can function as artwork. And there's still rare old stuff I find that you might have trouble finding on CD.
There are several record companies with labels that were strictly jazz people and had great bio information on the back of the album jackets. Deezus is right.

Two of those labels are Blue Note and MGM/Verve. There are several others. Even to a smaller extent Columbia did a good job regarding this subject. I appreciated the leg work that was done to compile this information. And it is not surprising that 50's jazz albums are very sought after by collectors who might not have been into jazz music when they grew up.

Regarding the "rare old stuff" that Deezus comments on. That's one of several things I do appreciate about the newer format. There isn't enough bands and solo artists that are in my collection that started their careers on unknown and obscure local labels. There wasn't an effort by record companies to go after these type songs in the 70's on back as they felt a "greatest hits" compilation would suffice, though there are exceptions. But labels like Sundazed and Rhino does excellent work by tracking down those type songs down and includes them in the artists CD discography. And for the most part the sound is great!

I wasn't very impressed by the half hearted attempt by the bigger labels for "crystal clear" sound of the 80's disc, but it was the efforts by Sundazed, Rhino, Collectors Choice on the American side and many other labels overseas to put care into the product that sold me. The information was appreciated by long time collectors of all genres, and a great example of that would be the anthology box sets that the German record label Bear Family released. Their stuff was quality right off the get go. I personally know a record mail order dealer out of Santa Fe, New Mexico who sent the label copies of dozens and dozens and dozens of paper memorabilia of country artists to be used in their multiple page booklets of the artists. Bear Family, like the other smaller labels I mentioned earlier, is first rate!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-30-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM

10,458 posts, read 12,688,743 times
I used to listen to CD's and vinyl/cassettes in blind sound tests and the analog always won. I don't know if it is still true today, because so many new music is recorded digitally, after which the listening media wouldn't matter.

But music recorded in analog captures more of the resolution of the music (whereas digital can capture more dynamic frequencies) creating a fuller and richer sound, assuming the playback equipment and vinyl are both in good condition.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,037,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Bear Family, like the other smaller labels I mentioned earlier, is first rate!
I've never heard of Bear Family. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've never heard of Bear Family. Thanks for the tip.
For a long time they pretty much stuck to older country, folk, and bluegrass artists from the 50's to the 70's. Recently they've been getting into 50's and early 60's rock.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
De-seeding your stash is so much easier on a gatefold album cover than a tiny cd booklet.
Heh, every time I think about that subject the Cheech and Chong album "Los Cocinos", released in 1972, jumps at me! Complete with rolling papers FOR-----, um, for your convenience!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,959,517 times
I collect vinyl records and I like the color vinyl. can't stand the vinyl snobs on some of those forums though. has nothing to do with being 'different' just for the sake of it. that's like saying anyone buying an mp3 player is doing it to be 'cool.' it's just a fun way to collect music. some people collect and sell and there's a huge market for it and some are worth tons of money! look on ebay. i like the sound, larger print and sometimes they come with neat things. mostly all of them come with mp3 download code so you're not just getting the record.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 09-05-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM

23,689 posts, read 65,799,316 times
My dream is still to release a 7" ep.
I wonder if young musicians today dreams of releasing an mp3....?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,671,141 times
"what a strange subject to come across, tonight. . . .I recieved my new "record" player this afternoon, and am spending the evening enjoying my stack of old vinyl. . . .mostly folk and early rock. . . ..some of this stuff camnot be had electronically or on C.D. I feel like I'm in a time machine. . . ..

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

13,344 posts, read 17,350,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk528808 View Post
Yep...I just like having the album. It's cool to me to put a record on in my basement and just sit back and listen.

Tell me this doesn't sould great on vinyl!
Yes, but it's not vinyl unless it skips.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM

102 posts, read 125,478 times
Definitely over-rated. Vinyl has a thin sound to it, scratches easily, is a pain in the (shut yo mouth) to manipulate (to individual tracks, repeat songs, change sides, etc). Vinyl is for snobs who wish to distance themselves from other music lovers (more or less). And that is coming from a serious music lover. In my life-time, I came into the world of music with vinyl, and then cassette, compact disc and now the digital mp3 era. For me, the scorecard is as follows:

Vinyl - thin sound, hard to manipulate, relatively fragile
Cassette - rich sound, hard to manipulate, even more fragile medium
Compact Disc - true sound (which can be a good and bad thing), less fragile (though not as "indestructible" as initially advertised)
MP3 - true (enough) sound, only fragile as far as the life of your computer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music