U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM

11,093 posts, read 10,134,993 times

Advertisements

Another loss to the music world today with the death of Joe South. Joe died at his home in Buford, Georgia, apparently of a heart attack. He was 72 years old. Two of his best remembered songs are Games People Play and Walk a Mile in My Shoes. Of course, I loved them, too. For me, his songs were like messages of life, not just whimsical lyrics with a melody. I never got to see any of his live performances but I sure didn't miss a thing because his songs were always playing on the radio. And my friends and I would sing along (not very well, I might add) with him. Thanks Joe, for all the great music and great memories of a time in music that I will never forget. Good times.

JOE SOUTH-(TWO SONGS)-BIRDS OF A FEATHER & HEART'S DESIRE - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Not sure if this one ever made it on the radio. I never heard it. A very nice person made a video of it and shared it with others .... and now I'm sharing it here but take no credit for it.

To have, to hold and to let go - Joe South - YouTube

Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 AM

114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Rip Joe!

JOE SOUTH- " WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES " - YouTube

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Great comments HOM!

Just recently I did a thread on British rockers Deep Purple. Everytime I hear their 1968 chart hit "Hush" I think of Joe South. Why? He penned the song. I didn't realize it at the time until his first lp, Introspection (Capitol-ST-108) was released and hit the stores maybe two months after "Hush" hit the charts. And the album didn't disappoint, his chart song "Birds Of A Feather" was released earlier in 1968. It's sad that he quit the music business when he did. The 1970's was known to a lot of music people as the decade of the singer songwriter. He had talent but it just wasn't realized.

South actually recorded ten years earlier, in 1958. He put out a number of 45's on NRC and a few other smaller labels. He then hooked up with Capitol in 1967 after one 45 was released on Columbia ("Backfield In Motion"). After his classic 45 "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" I really thought he would have a great career.

One of my record collector acquaintances lives in Doraville, Georgia. He knows a couple guys from ARS (Atlanta Rhythm Section.) They befriended South years ago. According to my friend Joe's little brother Tommy committed suicide a couple years after South's material was getting notice and Joe apparently never really recovered. Fought depression, then drug abuse, and all but dropped out of the music industry.

He apparently tried a comeback of sorts but nothing became of it.

He knew songwriting. Like HOM stated his material gave one to think about things. South won a Grammy for penning Lynn Anderson's 1971 hit ("I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden.") Another one of his noted songs was Billy Joe Royal's "Down In The Boondocks."

RIP Mr. South.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-07-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Status: "Soon to be fifty years since moon landing." (set 3 days ago)

46,555 posts, read 36,829,382 times
Unhappy In Memoriam: Joe South (1940 - 2012)

We will miss Joe South on both sides of his career path. Often overlooked are some fine recordings that he did in the late '60s and early '70s, and it's too bad that a lot of radio stations, particularly country stations, haven't played them more, even though he never had a Top Ten country hit. As a songwriter, on the other hand, he had succeeded in every way. In fact, "Games People Play" has actually become a crossover standard, sung and recorded by many different artists. Thanks, Joe, for bringing your perspective to American music.

Clock Up On The Wall - Joe South

Clock Up On The Wall - by Joe South - YouTube

Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Great comments HOM!

Just recently I did a thread on British rockers Deep Purple. Everytime I hear their 1968 chart hit "Hush" I think of Joe South. Why? He penned the song. I didn't realize it at the time until his first lp, Introspection (Capitol-ST-108) was released and hit the stores maybe two months after "Hush" hit the charts. And the album didn't disappoint, his chart song "Birds Of A Feather" was released earlier in 1968. It's sad that he quit the music business when he did. The 1970's was known to a lot of music people as the decade of the singer songwriter. He had talent but it just wasn't realized.

South actually recorded ten years earlier, in 1958. He put out a number of 45's on NRC and a few other smaller labels. He then hooked up with Capitol in 1967 after one 45 was released on Columbia ("Backfield In Motion"). After his classic 45 "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" I really thought he would have a great career.

One of my record collector acquaintances lives in Doraville, Georgia. He knows a couple guys from ARS (Atlanta Rhythm Section.) They befriended South years ago. According to my friend Joe's little brother Tommy committed suicide a couple years after South's material was getting notice and Joe apparently never really recovered. Fought depression, then drug abuse, and all but dropped out of the music industry.

He apparently tried a comeback of sorts but nothing became of it.

He knew songwriting. Like HOM stated his material gave one to think about things. South won a Grammy for penning Lynn Anderson's 1971 hit ("I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden.") Another one of his noted songs was Billy Joe Royal's "Down In The Boondocks."

RIP Mr. South.
Have to say that your knowledge about music, whether it's types, production or artists, is extensive. It's always a pleasure to read your comments, DoubleH. Clearly, you have a passion for it. Thank you for sharing about Joe South.

I wasn't aware that his brother had committed suicide. That would explain his thought-provoking lyrics regarding the human condition. I have a fondness for music that tells a story and doesn't just fill three or four minutes of noise.

Here is another song that was written by Mr. South. Recorded by Billy Jo Royal. Another example of those songs that tells a story. I think this one is from 1965 ......

old bridges burn slow - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music