Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times

Advertisements

I was recently 'banned' from a musicial equipment discussion board when I asserted that the site was politically right-wing. They had banned someone else for displaying a Karl Marx quote in their signature; and they were permitting a political post about the Olympics to remain on the board because it was 'rightie' (they claimed that they normally delete political posts; in practice, it depends on the political orientation of the post). I also saw that one of the moderators has a Tea Party blog.

I don't care about the site, and and this was a valuable experience to me as there appears to be a strong connection between the American right-wing/Republican Party and some fellow musicians that I was not aware of previously, the 'God, guns and gays' crowd. I don't mean this obvious one specifically:

Wisconsin shooting brings secretive white power music into focus - Los Angeles Times

...and I was already aware of Ted Nugent, etc.

Most of the other musicians I have encountered over the years have usually been liberal. I do have some musician friends who play in groups they call 'praise bands' (the site had a section for those as well, in retrospect a dead giveaway). They are evangelical Christians, vote Republican, take the usual right-wing stands on issues, etc.

I wondered if any other musicians had an experience or encounter with this subculture.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Right Wing Christians usually listen to phony modern Christians stations where some of the artist sing about red cups. Considering the Bible speaks against Drunkedness It seems to me perhaps these self-righteous Hannity Loving Jabronies are laughing at the lifestyles or are otherwise clueless.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:12 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
I find Christian rock a bit odd. I had a middle school bus driver who would play this god awful station every morning and if someone complained, she'd get massively defensive. Some people just don't like when you criticize their stuff. And if they can't take criticism, the internet is surely no place for them.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,019,479 times
"White Power" music is slightly less hateful than the "rap" music being pumped into the brains of black kids across the nation. The common thread they share is that they keep the hard core listeners from assimilating into society and adding anything of value to society. Also, they both come from a victim/persecuted mind set. You live in the most free nation in the world...richest, most influential...and these idiots want to pish and moan about how they are victims.

With articles like this, I usually jump to the comments section to see what people have to say. In this instance, I agree wholeheartedly with the above posters sentiments.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Censorship is lame, whether it be from the right or left. Vote libertarian!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I was recently 'banned' from a musicial equipment discussion board when I asserted that the site was politically right-wing.
That won't happen here. It's left all the way.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
I was recently 'banned' from a musicial equipment discussion board when I asserted that the site was politically right-wing. .............
Sorry, I can't sympathize with you until I hear their side of the story. There is probably a lot more to it.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 AM

909 posts, read 1,062,797 times
There are the harmless rightwing comedy acts:

Matt Dentino and the U.S. Band with their song 'GUN' - YouTube

---------------------------------------------------------
and then there are the less harmless right wing "music acts" -
Bigots Who Rock: an ADL List of Hate Music Groups
Bigots Who Rock: an ADL List of Hate Music Groups

^ such as the recent domestic terrorist was in ^

Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,986 times
Quote:
I was recently 'banned' from a musicial equipment discussion board when I asserted that the site was politically right-wing.
You'll be very happy here.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
I was recently 'banned' from a musicial equipment discussion board when I asserted that the site was politically right-wing. They had banned someone else for displaying a Karl Marx quote in their signature; and they were permitting a political post about the Olympics to remain on the board because it was 'rightie' (they claimed that they normally delete political posts; in practice, it depends on the political orientation of the post). I also saw that one of the moderators has a Tea Party blog..
Banned, hmmm, I wonder why, or actually, I am not suprised. Is this about music or politics? Maybe neither, as you are complaining about another forum and its TOS. It's clearly not a music topic.
If you're intention is to discuss an outright biased and inflamatory political subject in a music forum, you will probably end up in banned camp here as well (or at least moderated). Likewise - if you comment on moderator action here (as you hint you did in the previous forum) - that is a TOS violation here as well. Hint - there is a "politics and contreversies" forum here if you want to address political topics.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-13-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music