Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
But of course, both Joy Division and New Order have always been essential. Both bands can count probably hundreds of disciples.

JD plods too much for me to listen to much these days (though not "Disorder," their best song IMHO). Plus Ian Curtis' voice was limited, only good for brooding-type tracks. Meanwhile Bernard Sumner is still being copied for his adorable lost little-boy crooner voice (sounding good even when off key).

BTW, if you are in a JD mood, check out Josef K, Scottish peers of JD, finished by 1982. But more agile, a bit poppier and more accessible with a better singer (Paul Haig). Some of the purest and best post-punk ever!
Dead Neighbours were another great Scottish post-punk band that had a lot of Joy Division in their sound but were poppier, if not somewhat melodramatic sometimes. They later changed their name to "Lowlife," focused less on death lyrically, and found somewhat more success in the region, but never really broke in the US.

DEAD NEIGHBOURS Wreckage of your mind - YouTube

Dead Neighbours ~ I Can See - YouTube

LOW LIFE - "Bleach" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Yes, I remember them-though first found their stuff during the New Order incarnation (mod-to-late 1980's, when I was a teenager), then worked backwards from there.
Also...

Enjoyed Peter Hook's side project, Revenge-

Revenge (UK band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bought the cassette tape "One True Passion" (1990), one of my favorites was "Slave".

REVENGE - I'M NOT YOUR SLAVE - YouTube

Much of the album sounded similar (of course) to New Order's "Technique" release (1989).

Then heard Electronic, liked a couple of their tracks a lot:
"Feel Every Beat" (esp. the live version, and my absolute fave part of the song is the mostly instrumental section in middle of song, from approx. 3 min. to 5 min. mark, it's hypnotic)-

ELECTRONIC / Feel Every Beat / London 25.03.91 - YouTube

The multiple version/remixes of "Get The Message" were catchy, too.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Joy Division vs. New Order is really comparing apples & kumqats . . .
True enough, you really wouldn't know the connection just by listening to one versus the other any more than, say, The Clash and BADII or New York Dolls and Buster Poindexter.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
True enough, you really wouldn't know the connection just by listening to one versus the other any more than, say, The Clash and BADII or New York Dolls and Buster Poindexter.
I keep confusing The Clash & Big Audio Dynamite-I'll be looking for a song by one when it's actually done by the other...but there are probably threads dedicated to that phenomenon.
Anyway, Joy Division-some favorites:
"Heart and Soul"
"Decades"
New Order, I know a lot more of their material (not a fair fight, if I had to pick either JD or NO)-
"True Faith" was first song I heard by them.
Most recent track I was really enthusiastic about was "Crystal (extended version)".

Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
I saw New Order in concert 3 times and I never heard them do a Joy Division song except maybe Ceremony a very long time ago.
I just found this powerful performance in Glasgow, 2008:

New Order - Love Will Tear Us Apart [Live in Glasgow] - YouTube

Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 PM

603 posts, read 966,968 times
Thought I already posted this?... erased? Somehow. Or just early senility?

Anyways, Can't compete with the die-hard fans here ...but,
and I must say I think Bernard Summers was overrated as a singer...
Everything after 1990 just failed to inspire. Sorry. Technique was the last decent one in my stupid opinion.
Anyhow, there's so much talent in the rest of the group. Overlooked.
Working together early on...they made timeless music.
Just like every other band in history, I guess. Anyways...

Heard New Order live ONCE ...and it just...sucked. Maybe they were 'off' that night.
It just wasn't 'right'. Too many drugs at The Hacienda?

Wait out the ad and enjoy? Or just ignore and keep posting...lol

New Order - Elegia [Full Version] - YouTube
What was this song about? Anyone? ....
Spoiler
Softball.

Another favorite:

New Order - Every Little Counts - YouTube

Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
I'm currently awaiting to receive a copy of Joy Division's Les Bains Douches in the mail; from all written accounts I've seen (and for that matter some of the album's songs that have popped up for me on Pandora), it's their best officially released live recording. I think I'll then be set with pretty much all of the essential Joy Division:

*Heart and Soul box set - all of Unknown Pleasures, Closer, and Substance, plus some strong, previously unreleased recordings

*The Complete BBC Recordings (via the British version of The Best of Joy Division) - an essential album IMO, with definitive versions of various songs, including some of their very best songs (including "Transmission", "Love Will Tear Us Apart", "Exercise One", "Colony", and "Sound of Music")

*Les Bains Douches - primarily taken from a Paris concert in December 1979, it also contains selected tracks from a pair of concerts in the Netherlands in early 1980

I'm not nearly as big on New Order as I am on Joy Division, and I prefer their most Joy Division-sounding material (i.e. various songs on Movement), but they do have some strong, post-Movement songs. "Leave Me Alone" is a particular favorite.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Great thread! I'm an '80's kid & am a big fan of New Order; lesser fan of Joy Division. However, the bands are inextricably connected, so there's no way you can discuss one without at least mentioning the other.

That being said, while I find Joy Division's sound somewhat dismal & dark (which I know was intentional), New Order's music is, overall, fresh & hopeful; they're my all-time favorite rock/pop band. I also consider NO to be one of the (if not the) early fore-runners of techno music. Just my opinion, however.

Re: NO, I have too many favorite songs - but, among them are:

Bizarre Love Triangle extended version - this is possibly my favorite rock/pop song of all time. This song truly moves me, even 30+ years after first hearing this.

Temptation - my second favorite NO song. Really liked the way this song was used in the film Trainspotting. Superb!

True Faith

Ceremony - amazing sound.

Round and Round

Regret

Shellshock

Confusion

Fine Time

State of the Nation

Dreams Never End

Vanishing Point

Love Vigilantes

Brutal (from The Beach soundtrack - 2000) - great song, which I think was originally supposed to be a JD song?!

Crystal - Excellent sound, and brings to mind their '80's music.

Slow Jam

Thieves Like Us

And many others...

To all NO fans, I would also recommend the boxed set Retro (2003) - if you can get this for a good price. This got mixed reviews & can be expensive on the secondary market, but I really enjoy this set - I got it for only $30 used several years back - though the box was somewhat worn, the CD's were in perfect shape. Here's one of the better reviews of this set:

http://www.popentertainment.com/neworder.htm

I agree that these two movies are highly recommended to fans of JD, though NO fans will probably like them as well.

24 Hour Party People - great portrait of the music "scene" in Manchester, England back in the late '70's/early '80's.

Control - very powerful b&w bio-pic focusing exclusively on Joy Division.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 10-25-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 04:11 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Please be immediately advised that New Order has a new album that is very, very good.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Please be immediately advised that New Order has a new album that is very, very good.
I'll check it on the itunes store, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music